Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Apparent Coaching Changes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    That's true 57. I was just surprised that Bumgarner threw two killer pitches on strikes 1 and 2 and then serves up a lollipop that Ramos can bunt.

I guess my point is that the art of bunting has eroded to the point where the hitter almost needs to have a lollipop to bunt. Old-time bunters like Nellie Fox from the 1950s up to guys like Jay Bell in the 1980s and 1990s seemed to be able to bunt just about anything.
    When I was a kid the old guys in flannel with tobacco juice dribbling down their chin used to bemoan the state of bunting saying " back in my day"
    Guess what I'm sayin 50 is, we have become those guys :)

I can teach drag bunts, push bunts (left or right handed) couple different types of sacrifices. Wanna know why ?
    Cause that was what I could do as a player. I doubt BJ or Justin were ever asked to lay down a sac bunt until they got to the big leagues. And with their ballplayer pride are insulted when asked.

I'd bet a dollar next to a donut a high level Latino talent is never expected to bunt coming up. Say we're on a team -- would you rather have coming up a teenage Chris Johnson with the ability to change the game with one swing or a teenage 57 Brave with the ability to give a way an out without getting the guy in front thrown out ???

Earl Weaver used to mock Gene Mauch and other proponents of the notion of the sacrifice. " If you play for one run, all you get is one run"
    That is and should be the mindset of professional players. I've watched Gregor Blanco the past week -- ever notice the positioning of the corner infielders when he comes up? Was the same the last year or so of Otis Nixon.

Players don't make it to the Big Leagues being able bunt

I think Bumgrtner was more surprised than anyone he still would with 2. Ballsy move on Williams part
    Last edited by 57Brave; 10-07-2014 at 02:40 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-07-2014)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The idea of having our pitcher take bunting practice is fine and dandy until someone breaks a bone, gets hit in the head, jams a finger, etc. Then the organization is a bunch of morons.

Bring the DH to both leagues, pitchers are a joke offensively.
    DH to both leagues not going to happen. You'll see DH used unversially in interleague but that satisfies everybody. And no pitchers are not a joke with the bat, most folks over 40 prefer the game as it was meant to be. More fun and shorter game time too.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I'd rather Chipper's Dad for hitting coach.
    Or maybe even Howie McCann?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cjones4hof View Post
    Or maybe even Howie McCann?
    I don't support the hiring of any family members of yankees under any circumstances.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    And could it have been because they were aproduct of a different era? And I doubt those guys spent a long time taking bunting practice. Stab in the dark, they probably have much better hand eye than the guys who suck at bunting.
    Well Smoltz and Glavine mentioned several times in the broadcast booth the last few years that they all really took bunting seriously and put in the extra work to improve, especially since they're pitchers and in the NL they have to help themselves out.
    Forever Fredi

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-07-2014), jason27nc (10-07-2014), jpx7 (10-19-2014), Runnin (10-08-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    DH to both leagues not going to happen. You'll see DH used unversially in interleague but that satisfies everybody. And no pitchers are not a joke with the bat, most folks over 40 prefer the game as it was meant to be. More fun and shorter game time too.
    Like it or not, the AL teams generate more revenue and spend more on their rosters specifically due to the DH. I just don't see any way it won't be coming to the NL soon-ish. The NL is literally one of the few remaining baseball leagues in the world where pitchers attempt to bat. The only argument for letting them bat is the extra strategy it involves, but that is hardly worth the boredom of watching a guy with a .100 BA get completely overmatched at the plate 2-3 times per game.

I think an interesting compromise would be to allow all pitchers to be PH for once and allowed to continue pitching, then if they are PH for a 2nd time they are out of the game. This would allow the manager (though Fredi would never be able to figure it out) to PH for the starter one time early in a game in a high leverage situation, then send his starter back out to continue pitching.

The MLBPA would likely be all for it because the extra PH ABs should theoretically drive up the price of quality PHers. The owners would agree because more offense equals more excitement and revenue.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I don't support the hiring of any family members of yankees under any circumstances.
    That rules me out...

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Like it or not, the AL teams generate more revenue and spend more on their rosters specifically due to the DH. I just don't see any way it won't be coming to the NL soon-ish. The NL is literally one of the few remaining baseball leagues in the world where pitchers attempt to bat. The only argument for letting them bat is the extra strategy it involves, but that is hardly worth the boredom of watching a guy with a .100 BA get completely overmatched at the plate 2-3 times per game.

I think an interesting compromise would be to allow all pitchers to be PH for once and allowed to continue pitching, then if they are PH for a 2nd time they are out of the game. This would allow the manager (though Fredi would never be able to figure it out) to PH for the starter one time early in a game in a high leverage situation, then send his starter back out to continue pitching.

The MLBPA would likely be all for it because the extra PH ABs should theoretically drive up the price of quality PHers. The owners would agree because more offense equals more excitement and revenue.
    Yet another good reason not to trade Evan Gattis now...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-07-2014)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    So, are we going to give our interim gm the job or are we trying to find the right puppet for the "braves way"?

it's a joke that so much is being done without actually having a gm hired

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    So, are we going to give our interim gm the job or are we trying to find the right puppet for the "braves way"?

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseb...roy-cla/nhcnm/

"The Braves haven’t announced the moves yet because major league baseball asks teams not to make news during the playoffs without its approval and on its schedule."

If the Braves have been asked by MLB not to announce the re-hiring of Clark I would assume that they'd also want them to hold back on the new gm. But looking at all the decisions that are being made my guess is it's gotta be Hart and/or Coppolella.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    I am hearing that it is a very slim chance we will see the DH in NL games. No need for it to happen. This way everybody gets a compromise. Managers like Maddon get what they want they actually get to set back on their butts and not manage. And fans get to keep a league where the game is played as intended. Again, not happening anytime soon.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    DH is gonna come to the whole league. Even old heads like my dad (he's 64) who played baseball in the 60s are starting to come around to the idea. He hates watching pitchers "hit" and "run the bases" sure some are good athletes, but the expection to that rule is that. Kids are DHing in HS, and college and the lower minros, and so on so forth.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Don't see it. It would be a grave mistake. Besides the rulebook is against it and there are enough old school guys running the game its not imminent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post

At this point it would be pretty shocking if it's not Hart, imo.
    thank you weso1!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-08-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Evan Drellich ‏@EvanDrellich

First Dave Post leaves, now the Astros lose intl crosschecker Marc Russo to the Braves. He'll be intl scouting director

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Evan Drellich ‏@EvanDrellich

First Dave Post leaves, now the Astros lose intl crosschecker Marc Russo to the Braves. He'll be intl scouting director
    Russo is a big deal. He is credited with rebuilding the Angels' international scouting after the bonus skimming scandal nailed several of their top Latin scouts a year or two earlier. He was part of a 2012 housecleaning, but was almost immediately hired by the Astros.
    Before Russo was an international scout for the Angels, he was their Eastern supervisor based in Florida.