Results 5,221 to 5,240 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Still superior to watching Markakis pull a grounder to second over a hundred times a season.
    that seems to be a requirement with every RF we put out there

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-27-2018)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Gallo has big, obvious flaws, but we're at the point where our outfield options are either guys with big, obvious flaws or a couple players who would be hideously expensive to acquire. Haniger is basically a perfect fit, but you don't get him without giving Dipoto his pound of flesh. Joc Pederson fits well, but he's unplayable against lefties, and LA knows how to extract value.

So then you start going through guys like Gallo, Puig (assuming the Reds would be interested in flipping him), Kepler, Frazier, moving Camargo to left, bringing back Markakis, etc. They all have serious weaknesses. At that point it basically becomes a matter of value, which we can only really evaluate when a deal is made.

The choice is either suck it up and pay the ransom for Haniger, hoping he's this year's Yelich, or pick someone with glaring holes in his game.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-27-2018), JohnAdcox (12-27-2018), jpx7 (12-27-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    With Haniger, Peralta, Gallo, Pollock, and a few others as legit OF options there is no reason why AA can’t fill that spot with a 3 win guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Gallo has big, obvious flaws, but we're at the point where our outfield options are either guys with big, obvious flaws or a couple players who would be hideously expensive to acquire. Haniger is basically a perfect fit, but you don't get him without giving Dipoto his pound of flesh. Joc Pederson fits well, but he's unplayable against lefties, and LA knows how to extract value.

So then you start going through guys like Gallo, Puig (assuming the Reds would be interested in flipping him), Kepler, Frazier, moving Camargo to left, bringing back Markakis, etc. They all have serious weaknesses. At that point it basically becomes a matter of value, which we can only really evaluate when a deal is made.

The choice is either suck it up and pay the ransom for Haniger, hoping he's this year's Yelich, or pick someone with glaring holes in his game.
    Kinda funny how you put Gallo in the tier below Pederson, but he's been clearly a better player.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Kinda funny how you put Gallo in the tier below Pederson, but he's been clearly a better player.
    Eh, you're right. Flip them.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Gallo is one a the few 80 power guys I remember seeing. With his control left (and if the package to nab him would be right), he would be a great guy to get. Give him a change of scenery under a different hitting coach. He probably is what he is, but with that kind of power, it would be a good gamble. If he could “find” something...you basically have Stanton on the cheap.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Gallo is one a the few 80 power guys I remember seeing. With his control left (and if the package to nab him would be right), he would be a great guy to get. Give him a change of scenery under a different hitting coach. He probably is what he is, but with that kind of power, it would be a good gamble. If he could “find” something...you basically have Stanton on the cheap.
    he only just turned 25. there could certainly be development left for him.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Look at Gallos home vs away splits.

6 less home runs on the road
    .186 avg on the road vs .227 avg at home
    .285 OBP on the road
    .716 OPS on the road vs .906 at home

I see Dan Uggla 2.0 with a few more homeruns and a little better defense....
    Uggla is a closer comp but never struck out anywhere near 35% of the time and got his obp into a decent range in his prime.

One of my least favorite Braves.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It's called a small sample size. 4 months out of 4 years is a small sample.
    Rather than take a full year sample that went against your feelings you broke it down into two pieces and chose the smaller piece as self vindication.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    The away from home stuff was shot down pretty good if you go back and read the post that Beanie put together
    He basically said he didn’t believe in the part of the numbers that looked bad.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Rather than take a full year sample that went against your feelings you broke it down into two pieces and chose the smaller piece as self vindication.
    The point is that that’s the only four-month stretch out of the entire past four years that looks at all like that. If anyone’s self-vindicating it’s The Straw Grasper.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    With Haniger, Peralta, Gallo, Pollock, and a few others as legit OF options there is no reason why AA can’t fill that spot with a 3 win guy.
    Other than acquisition cost?

No reason he "can't", plenty of reasons to wonder if any or all make sense when the bill comes due (as MF II mentions above).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    The point is that that’s the only four-month stretch out of the entire past four years that looks at all like that. If anyone’s self-vindicating it’s The Straw Grasper.
    All I’ve ever said about Markakis is That he doesn’t bother me as a fall back at the right price and his prospects of being productive in the first half of the season aren’t as dim as others have made it out to be.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    It's called logic.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    All I’ve ever said about Markakis is That he doesn’t bother me as a fall back at the right price and his prospects of being productive in the first half of the season aren’t as dim as others have made it out to be.
    I do not think you have evinced this claim, though.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Other than acquisition cost?

No reason he "can't", plenty of reasons to wonder if any or all make sense when the bill comes due (as MF II mentions above).
    Anybody worth a damn is gonna cost ya. I’d give up a big package for Haniger.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I'm glad adding a 4th guy to the lineup who's likely to be a below average hitter doesn't bother you

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    are you being purposefully obtuse here? there was one half that was buoyed by unsustainable numbers. when those unsustainable numbers fell, the player returned to being the same player he was the previous 3+ seasons. he had a good half. no one is denying that. the point is, expecting him to that again moving forward is downright foolish.

you're weighing one half of baseball over 3.5+ years of baseball that "go against your feelings."
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    He basically said he didn’t believe in the part of the numbers that looked bad.
    dude WHAT.
    statistics aren't that difficult. SSS issues are real.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Sometimes when I read clv posts like this, I like to imagine that he's actually Zack De La Rocha at PinkPop '93 and he's just fighting the man. The statistical man.

No raging against anything. I'd have no problem with his acquisition provided the cost makes sense. Pretty funny, actually - I was an "idiot" for talking about trading him to play 3B before Riley broke out and Camargo was given his shot. Always funny how that works - he was a *hitty target back then, but would be awesome now.

Not the issue though. I'd be quite happy with Gallo in LF hitting 5th behind Donaldson or Acuna - I'll just be emptying my bladder and getting another beer most of the time while he's hitting.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?