Page 282 of 579 FirstFirst ... 182232272280281282283284292332382 ... LastLast
Results 5,621 to 5,640 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRunningAgent View Post
    What are the chances AA shocks the world and signs Harper? What’s your percentage? I say 10%.....so you say there is a chance? :)
    I’m not going to say zero, but it’s highly unlikely. I say 5%. I think he ends up with the Dodgers.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    We should sign Harper for the simple fact that he's likely to opt out in 2-3 years anyways. So he likely won't affect our ability to re-sign Acuna/Albies when the time comes.

But we won't. I'd give it a 1% chance of happening.
    0 percent.

The only way I see it is 3 years 150 million. And we can’t afford that. We’d have to be the first team to sponsor a specific player.

For the next three years Bryce Harper will be announced as the delta Facebook Bryce Harper presented by Coca Cola

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Yankees close to signing Britton per Rosenthal.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Britton to NYY per Passan. Wonder how much he got.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    10% is wayyyyy too high. I think its a very very very remote possibility. I'd say around 1%. It could happen, but it would take an extraordinary scenario for that to happen.
    Or less.

Like everybody else (at least most folks), I think most of the available money's already spent - and if that's really the case, that leads to at least a couple of legitimate questions about what's going on.

1.) Who on earth involved in the decision-making process thinks that upgrading from Markakis to the injury-prone Donaldson without any other significant upgrades makes the 2019 team a bigger threat to win anything more than the 2018 team won - especially when everybody else around you is getting better and nobody even thought you could do what you did last season? I remember an interview with AA before the meetings where he said they felt like most of the heavy-lifting had been accomplished when they got Donaldson and Mac taken care of early, but honestly believed that was just GM-Speak.

AND

2.) Exactly why in the *ell was there a "scheduled meeting" between AA and the Liberty folks DURING the Winter Meetings?

Our prospects haven't mysteriously gotten more valuable over the last three weeks or so, so if there's a big trade coming exactly what the *ell is the holdup? He's been told what it will take to get Haniger or Peralta, and that price isn't going to change. If you want one of them, there's absolutely no need to wait to pull the trigger. The same thing can be said of any potential Realmuto/Kluber/Bumgarner/Greinke deal. The only questions remaining on those guys is whether you're willing to pay the price - and apparently he isn't.

Did he really need to be summoned to Liberty headquarters to be reminded he has no more money to spend on the free-agent or trade markets? The folks higher up the ladder couldn't simply have called or texted him to make that clear? How out of whack is this operation if he didn't know that before he signed Donaldson and Mac? If you couldn't afford to add Brantley, McCutchen, Pollock, or any of the pen pieces or SPs already off the board in addition to those two, where in the *ell did all the money go? If they're that broke, why did they bother to spend all that money to send a group of people to the meetings? You mean to tell me that no one had enough sense to look at a calendar earlier and schedule that meeting before the meetings would be going on?

It's perfectly understandable to make the argument that everybody should have been thrilled with 2018 even though the Dodgers embarrassed them in the playoffs because they got there a year ahead of schedule, but the window is open now and something's just not right - Acuna and Albies are here, Ender and Dansby are at least giving you everything you could've hoped for defensively, Camargo's much better than expected, and the arms are ready. If you're not willing or able to do what it takes to fill the other holes at this point, you never will be - the young talent isn't ever going to be any cheaper.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-05-2019 at 09:19 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (01-05-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    3/40 with an option that can push it to 4/50+ if exercised after the 2nd year, about right.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRunningAgent View Post
    Dude, then give your percentage, don’t argue with mine. That will show how much smarter you are.
    I.... did give my percentage. What in the hell are you talking about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Or less.

Like everybody else (at least most folks), I think most of the available money's already spent - and if that's really the case, that leads to at least a couple of legitimate questions about what's going on.

1.) Who on earth involved in the decision-making process thinks that upgrading from Markakis to the injury-prone Donaldson without any other significant upgrades makes the 2019 team a bigger threat to win anything more than the 2018 team won - especially when everybody else around you is getting better and nobody even thought you could do what you did last season? I remember an interview with AA before the meetings where he said they felt like most of the heavy-lifting had been accomplished when they got Donaldson and Mac taken care of early, but honestly believed that was just GM-Speak.

AND

2.) Exactly why in the *ell was there a "scheduled meeting" between AA and the Liberty folks DURING the Winter Meetings?

Our prospects haven't mysteriously gotten more valuable over the last three weeks or so, so if there's a big trade coming exactly what the *ell is the holdup? He's been told what it will take to get Haniger or Peralta, and that price isn't going to change. If you want one of them, there's absolutely no need to wait to pull the trigger. The same thing can be said of any potential Realmuto/Kluber/Bumgarner/Greinke deal. The only questions remaining on those guys is whether you're willing to pay the price - and apparently he isn't.

Did he really need to be summoned to Liberty headquarters to be reminded he has no more money to spend on the free-agent or trade markets? The folks higher up the ladder couldn't simply have called or texted him to make that clear? How out of whack is this operation if he didn't know that before he signed Donaldson and Mac? If you couldn't afford to add Brantley, McCutchen, Pollock, or any of the pen pieces or SPs already off the board in addition to those two, where in the *ell did all the money go? If they're that broke, why did they bother to spend all that money to send a group of people to the meetings? You mean to tell me that no one had enough sense to look at a calendar earlier and schedule that meeting before the meetings would be going on?

It's perfectly understandable to make the argument that everybody should have been thrilled with 2018 even though the Dodgers embarrassed them in the playoffs because they got there a year ahead of schedule, but the window is open now and something's just not right - Acuna and Albies are here, Ender and Dansby are at least giving you everything you could've hoped for defensively, Camargo's much better than expected, and the arms are ready. If you're not willing or able to do what it takes to fill the other holes at this point, you never will be - the young talent isn't ever going to be any cheaper.
    You can only trade Riley once. I think people are waiting on Harper and Machado. I also think teams with guys to move are hoping to get into our prospect stash.

Aa is trying to look at the best use of his resources. We have a lot of flexibility that means he has a ton of options.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Craig Kimbrel or Adam Ottavino. If you could have either one on a 3 year contract who would you pick? I think I would prefer Ottavion personally.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Craig Kimbrel or Adam Ottavino. If you could have either one on a 3 year contract who would you pick? I think I would prefer Ottavion personally.
    Octavio Dotel
    Forever Fredi

12. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-06-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    I honestly don't see what the panic is around here.... There is plenty of time to fix the holes, and I think our internal options (Camargo/Riley) as a plan B is most likely more than enough to get us in contention by the deadline where we can a major splash if we need to.
    That said, Looks to me like AA is going to make a big set of trades in the next four or five weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    This likely ends up as a sneaky great move that makes them MUCH better, allowing them to use Lagares strictly as a defensive replacement. One less suitor for Pollock.
    Dude...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-06-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Dude...
    Double Dude....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I like teams and agents getting creative with contracts. Maybe that is a way pollock could make sense

I doubt we have 15 plus million to spend

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    I honestly don't see what the panic is around here.... There is plenty of time to fix the holes, and I think our internal options (Camargo/Riley) as a plan B is most likely more than enough to get us in contention by the deadline where we can a major splash if we need to.
    That said, Looks to me like AA is going to make a big set of trades in the next four or five weeks.
    I really don't understand why you wouldn't want to try Riley in Left? Does anyone think he's not ready for the majors?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I like teams and agents getting creative with contracts. Maybe that is a way pollock could make sense

I was of the opinion we still had 26.5M+ to spend- what gives you this idea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    I really don't understand why you wouldn't want to try Riley in Left? Does anyone think he's not ready for the majors?
    That's what I was thking- we could Camargo out there until June, and then call up Riley. If Riley just kills it in ST we could start him there from day one....

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

A good creative contract for Pollock is pay him per game played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Bc he worked really hard to be a solid 3b. Bc there is more pressure on his bat in lf

I think there are lots of scouts who are not sure he has the hit tool to get to his power.

If Riley is no doubt ready then signing Donaldson was dumb. We could have used that money a lot better if we had Riley as a 2 plus win player at the minimum with comargo.

I think there is a real chance he strikes out 30 percent of the time and has a 300 obp.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-06-2019), JohnAdcox (01-06-2019), jpx7 (01-06-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    So Harper, Machado, Grandal, Kimbrel, Marwin, and Ottavino are all still on the board going into the 2nd week of January. It’s been a pretty slow offseason so far. It should really pick up over the next week or two. ST isn’t to far off so these guys will wanna get settled pretty quick I’d think.