Thread: TONS Of Money To Spend

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I still think it's gonna be Castellanos
    Still an unbelievable short-term fit if you can get him for second-tier prospects.

Is there really any way an Acuna, Donaldson, Freeman, Castellanos/Markakis, Albies, Flow/Mac, Ender, Dansby/Camargo lineup doesn't scare competitors to death???
    Last edited by clvclv; 03-13-2019 at 06:09 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Still an unbelievable short-term fit if you can get him for second-tier prospects.

Is there really any way an Acuna, Donaldson, Freeman, Castellanos, Markakis, Albies, Flow/Mac, Ender, Dansby/Camargo lineup doesn't scare competitors to death???
    The Braves getting to use a 9 player lineup should worry other NL teams.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-13-2019), JohnAdcox (03-14-2019)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Upton but his deal is a little longer and he has a no trade clause.

When the Angels fall out of it again I'd try to make a super trade and bring back Upton and Simmons to rebuild the Golden Wrens.
    Dans, Newk, Ian A, and who else for Golden Wrens
    Forever Fredi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-12-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I still think it's gonna be Castellanos
    Maybe, but I’m skeptical the Braves want the worst defensive OF in the game patrolling LF.

I’m still holding out hope for Haniger when they cut Duvall loose.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    The Braves getting to use a 9 player lineup should worry other NL teams.
    Oops.

Guess you're the person that wants everyone's typos corrected - fixed now.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Maybe, but I’m skeptical the Braves want the worst defensive OF in the game patrolling LF.

I don’t see Haniger now that Nick is signed. He will not be a bench player (at least this year). I think the ship has sailed on any outfield upgrades unfortunately...especially with Pache showing some offensive promise.

When interviewed the other day, Nick was talking about them wanting him to take a few days off (and not play every day). You could tell he plans to play every day they don’t force him to rest.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I don’t see Haniger now that Nick is signed. He will not be a bench player (at least this year). I think the ship has sailed on any outfield upgrades unfortunately...especially with Pache showing some offensive promise.

When interviewed the other day, Nick was talking about them wanting him to take a few days off (and not play every day). You could tell he plans to play every day they don’t force him to rest.
    Nick should be accepting the fact that he's now a 130 to 140 game starter and not the iron man he sees himself as. My guess is Duvall or someone else they bring in will get those other starts.

My hope for Anthopoulos is that he wouldn't do anything stupid and the only signing I really don't like is bringing back McCann as soon as he did instead of waiting for the Grandal market to shake out. Signing McCann wasn't a bad move (probably decent value), but it's not a clear upgrade from Suzuki.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-13-2019)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Nick should be accepting the fact that he's now a 130 to 140 game starter and not the iron man he sees himself as. My guess is Duvall or someone else they bring in will get those other starts.

My hope for Anthopoulos is that he wouldn't do anything stupid and the only signing I really don't like is bringing back McCann as soon as he did instead of waiting for the Grandal market to shake out. Signing McCann wasn't a bad move (probably decent value), but it's not a clear upgrade from Suzuki.
    No matter what we think about it, the players and team seem to feel differently about him. I would be very surprised to any move that decreases Nick’s playing time....at least before the trade deadline.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

i hope nick plays less than 130-140 games. a good bit less.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-14-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

If you look at the teams that are very likely to be sellers (such as the Orioles, Marlins, Royals, etc) there is little to pick from. But there is the next tier of teams (Reds, Diamondbacks, Pirates, Mariners, etc) that I call marginal contenders. Over half of those teams are going to be sellers. We will have to wait to see which ones are in fact sellers. But we should be able to upgrade corner outfield, catcher, starting and relief pitching and really just about any position if that is what we need. And we should be able to do multiple upgrades.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-13-2019 at 08:33 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i hope nick plays less than 130-140 games. a good bit less.
    I don't mind him starting most of the games in RF, but his second half slide showed him wearing down. I was hoping they would sign a legitimate RHH OF to spell Markakis because I think Duvall falls into the category of players that needs to play every day to be productive and that won't be happening in Atlanta in 2019. Marwin Gonzalez doesn't eat up LHP, but I thought someone in that vein would have been a decent addition because he could log significant time in the OF.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-14-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If Haniger is available at the deadline and AA let’s having Markakis pass on him then he should be fired. Markakis shouldn’t in any way keep the team from upgrading the OF if we are still in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I don't mind him starting most of the games in RF, but his second half slide showed him wearing down. I was hoping they would sign a legitimate RHH OF to spell Markakis because I think Duvall falls into the category of players that needs to play every day to be productive and that won't be happening in Atlanta in 2019. Marwin Gonzalez doesn't eat up LHP, but I thought someone in that vein would have been a decent addition because he could log significant time in the OF.
    I'm disappointed that Camargo and Riley have not played outfield in spring training so far. I think they could fill the bill if Duvall doesn't work out.

Edit: Riley in LF and Camargo in RF today. Yeah!
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-13-2019 at 09:04 AM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If Haniger is available at the deadline and AA let’s having Markakis pass on him then he should be fired. Markakis shouldn’t in any way keep the team from upgrading the OF if we are still in it.
    you're probably going to pay more at the deadline for haniger than you would now. so that seems bad either way.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I would say it would have more to do with the progression of Pache and Waters, more than Nick. No matter how they view him...he is not the future. I would be surprised if he is even back next year, but if he is...it will be a bench bat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    you're probably going to pay more at the deadline for haniger than you would now. so that seems bad either way.
    That is the obvious downside from going into the season with unspent payroll. The acquisitions going forward will include a contender's premium. Unless we make a trade with another contender.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    That is the obvious downside from going into the season with unspent payroll. The acquisitions going forward will include a contender's premium. Unless we make a trade with another contender.
    despite what they said, i think the mariners would have moved Haniger this offseason if they got what they were asking. but they didn't feel they needed to, so had some leverage. when they're out of it by the deadline, i suspect they'll try and push to move him. but there will be a lot of teams in for his services. if AA balked at the price this offseason, he will really balk at it mid-season.

but i think all of this is moot unless nick ****s the bed. he may be platooned, but there's almost no way he's benched otherwise. i don't expect him to **** the bed, so i don't expect AA to seek a full-time OF.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I would say it would have more to do with the progression of Pache and Waters, more than Nick. No matter how they view him...he is not the future. I would be surprised if he is even back next year, but if he is...it will be a bench bat.
    Neck is on his way to the HOF in a Braves hat. Just needs a few more seasons.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Neck is on his way to the HOF in a Braves hat. Just needs a few more seasons.
    Yeah, like 12 more.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-13-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm disappointed that Camargo and Riley have not played outfield in spring training so far. I think they could fill the bill if Duvall doesn't work out.

Edit: Riley in LF and Camargo in RF today. Yeah!
    Time to scrap the 3B - OF transition experiment...caused them to lose a spring training game.