Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Statistical Analysis

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

Braves Statistical Analysis

At nearly 1/3 of the way through the season, I'm gonna look at a handful of players who's numbers intrigue me.

First I'll start with the founder of the team, the irreplaceable Nick Markakis. There's a few things that are obvious. He's not the fielder he was when he was great years ago, The one compliment for him, he makes the plays he's supposed to make though. He's not Dan Ugglaing anything. Offensively it's a mixed bag. Overall the results are about where you'd expect them. A little high in reality but within Sample size variation. It's the how that's more interesting. Sporting a BABIP 40 points higher than his career average and an iso of 90 points lower you'd expect to hear me say he's due for a massive failure but I won't. He is hitting a lot of linedrives and that will keep his BABIP up. I think it will fall a bit but not down to his career average. Probably only about 10-20 points if he keeps his current batted ball rates. I think his BABIP will drop a touch with some bad luck and also he's gotten an insnaely high 12% IF hit percentage, His previous career high was 7.6 but spent most of that time around 5. In other words. He's getting too many ground ball hits, That will normalize. He'll eventyually get a homer or 2 to bring his power up a big but he's also clearly changed his style of hitting as he's hitting less flyballs than ever before and that is gonn alead to much less power. So where does he go from here. I'd guess he drops, but he'll still be a decent hitter. Just closer to a 100 wRC+ than 115.

I'll leave Simmons out as I went into him in another thread.

Freeman has actually not quite been Freddie this year. Stil lgood but not Freddie good. His power is right on point, His linedrive and BABIP skills are still on point, But his K rate is at a career high and BB rate at a near career low. I expect both of these to turn around though. I think eventually he'll get his K rate around 20 again and his BB rate over 10. I have faith in Freddie. He's a hitting machine.

Jace Peterson has been an interesting case. He's been quite alright offensively. NOt good but not terrible. Striking out at an OK rate, showing no power but that's expected, Walking decently enough. He's been alright. Defensively he's made his biggest impact though. With some weirdness. Looking at Inside Edge and RZR he seemingly has missed a chunk of balls he should have made plays on. From a value standpoint he makes up for that by making spectacular plays as well. But aside from that which could just be big league jitters, he's been smooth overall showing no major issues defensively. Got to like that.

Cameron Maybin has certainly been a revelation for the Braves. He's been hurt a lot in his career or under performing. He's only had 2 seasons in the majors at this point in his career that can be considered full, he's 28 and came up at 20. That's alarming. But he's done everything well in Atlanta. He's walking more than normal. Striking out less than normal, He had his expected power boost leaving Petco. Only concern though sampling could be an issue is defense. Even with a full sample I'd take it with a grain of salt as he's not getting much help from LF or RF. Though if Cunningham proves to be acceptable with the bat, he should be amazing with the Glove.

I'll leave out the other position players as they're all under 30 games or really tterrible (looking at you Callaspo)

Onto pitching.

Miller has been great. He's outperforming his peripherals with ERA and it will rise, but not dramatically. He's pitching very well. He has a long way to go before he lives up to the hype some on here are bestowing upon him, But he's been great. You cannot take that away. One area I'd like to see him improve is either a slight uptick in Ks or a slight downtick in BBs. While solid where he's at. I think some teams will be able to exploit him.

Wood has been peripherally every bit as good as Miller. But where Miller is getting good luck, Wood is getting kinda bad luck. Some weirdness with him though. Where have the strikeouts gone? And when did he become a ground ball pitcher? Wood is not as dominant as he was his first 2 years with us where his xFIP was below 3.2 basically meaning not only was he good but he was statistically sound as well. This year his FIP is really low, but it's carried by a low HR/FB.

Folty has looked good overall statistically. Using xFIP he's basically been what we've expected him to be. Statistically speaking he's been a bit unlucky with BABIP and stranding runners, but has been lucky with the long ball. That's gonna be the thing to watch with him. His K numbers though are to drool over. Striking out 38 in 36 and a third. That's amazing.

Perez has been OK. I know the stats tell me I should be more excited about him, he's got a good FIP, good xFIP, best SIERA on team, everything should be there, I'm just not excited about him as a pitcher and it's primarily cause of his BB rate. Hopefully he proves me wrong but I think we're seeing a sample size monster who may just vanish.

Julio needs to get his **** in order. His K rate is fine, but his BB rate is too high and he's been giving away homers like they're helping him. Not what I want to see. I have faith in him turning it around though.

Not much good to talk about in the pen. Grilli, Martin and Johnson were all solid. Avilan has been good, but so much of th erest of the pen has been a giant dumpster fire. Either you have guys like McKirahan who can't strike guys our or the rest of the pen who gives out walks like candy to trick-or-treaters. I think Cahill will be fine as a mop up man now that we seemingly have the rotation set. I don't think he'll be good, but unlike other guys in the pen he shouldn't let guys get free passes, but that still leaves 2 spots in the pen that someone has to perform at least acceptably well.

And lastly though it's SSS. Gonna compare last year to this year in rate stats.

Offensively, we have an 86 wRC+ as a team, last year we had an 86. So overall thanks primarily to Maybin, we've done alright offensively. While I'm skeptical that our offense will keep performing this well, relative to the league we should be around last year.'s mark though many of the issues we were concerned about are still issues. Catcher being the biggest, and left field being the second biggest. Hopefully KJ can come back from his injury fine. As I don't think Cunningham will hit enough for LF.

Pitching we have (league adjusted lower is better) for our starters an ERA- of 101 a FIP- of 108 and an xFIP- of 107 non-adjusted we have a SIERA of 4.16 our pen is at 122 118 and 109 with a SIERA of 3.89. Last year our starters finished at 94 98 and and 100 with a SIERA of 3.77 and pen at 91 87 and 95 with a SIERA of 3.27

So overall you can conclude so far in the small though not tiny sample of this season, we're a bit behind where we wound up last year. It is worth noting mind you last year we finished horribly If we finish horribly this year things will look really ugly. WIll be interesting to see how the rest of the season shakes out.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (06-01-2015), thethe (05-31-2015)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    You're no nsacpi.
    Forever Fredi

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-31-2015), nsacpi (05-31-2015), thethe (05-31-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
    You're no nsacpi.
    And you're not PatioDaddio

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (06-01-2015), weso1 (08-23-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Jace Peterson has been an interesting case. He's been quite alright offensively. NOt good but not terrible. Striking out at an OK rate, showing no power but that's expected, Walking decently enough. He's been alright. Defensively he's made his biggest impact though. With some weirdness. Looking at Inside Edge and RZR he seemingly has missed a chunk of balls he should have made plays on. From a value standpoint he makes up for that by making spectacular plays as well. But aside from that which could just be big league jitters, he's been smooth overall showing no major issues defensively. Got to like that.
    What Peterson seems to be is an average hitter for his position and above average defender. If you can check your expectations at the door, you should be quite happy with that type of player (not so subtle allusion there about other Braves both past and present). I'd be quite happy to go to war (not WAR) with a lineup that consists mainly of players like that.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Chico (06-01-2015), thethe (05-31-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Nice work Zito. I appreciate you digging all that info up. It's hard to disagree with anything that you have said.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    The one aspect of statistical analysis I struggle understanding is defense. So if you plan on doing things like this in the future, I would love to read a deep dive into the defensive statistics of the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    The one aspect of statistical analysis I struggle understanding is defense. So if you plan on doing things like this in the future, I would love to read a deep dive into the defensive statistics of the team.
    I didn't want to get too involved with it because most of our players haven't spent really enough time on the field. Aside from Simmons I wouldn't trust defensive metrics quite yet. I only touched on Peterson and Markakis because Markakis has been on a long running trend. And with Peterson I found it interesting. That being said, I fully expect the numbers to stabilize later. I'll update the post later in the year when we have more than like 5 regular starters and our bullpen should be shaken out a bit. Right now Kevin Kiermaier has a 9.2 UZR and 10 DRS. Both of those pace him to be one of the best defenders of all time when innings are a factor. His UZR/150 of 55. When the leader of the last 3 seasons was Machado at 31.8. What are the odds that we see the greatest performance in potentially history this year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    What Peterson seems to be is an average hitter for his position and above average defender. If you can check your expectations at the door, you should be quite happy with that type of player (not so subtle allusion there about other Braves both past and present). I'd be quite happy to go to war (not WAR) with a lineup that consists mainly of players like that.
    He's not average for position. But he's not far off. League average for 2B this year is 91. So he's a bit below that. But not far. I like what he's contributed as a player. My concern is where do we go from here. Having him and Peraza is redundant at best. Peraza also being a relatively light hitting and great fielder. Peraza does bring more speed though.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Peraza in Center and move Maybin the Left. Maybe trade Peraza, Peterson or Mallex Smith for a Catcher or 3rd Baseman in the offseason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugfan View Post
    Peraza in Center and move Maybin the Left. Maybe trade Peraza, Peterson or Mallex Smith for a Catcher or 3rd Baseman in the offseason.
    To put it lightly we cannot have a lineup with Jace Peterson, Andrelton Simmons, Jose Peraza and Mukaki doesn't bode well for scoring runs.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Nice work Zito. I appreciate you digging all that info up. It's hard to disagree with anything that you have said.
    McKirahan?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    The bullpen should get a boost later in the year when Viz, McKirahan, and Withrow are back.

Next year we get Simmons back. Probably Cody Martin eventually too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The bullpen should get a boost later in the year when Viz, McKirahan, and Withrow are back.

Next year we get Simmons back. Probably Cody Martin eventually too
    But a hit next year with Grilli/Johnson gone. They have to figure out a solution for the back end of the bullpen.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    But a hit next year with Grilli/Johnson gone. They have to figure out a solution for the back end of the bullpen.
    Grilli is at least signed through next year

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    If hes not gone in July, the rebuild is kinda pointless, right?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Depending on how good the Braves are by July 1st I think its highly likely he is traded.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    If hes not gone in July, the rebuild is kinda pointless, right?
    No bc we will have flipped Cahill for the missing piece to the 2015 WS

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    If we can keep being success at flipping, can we get 51 top 50 prospects by 2017?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    If we can keep being success at flipping, can we get 51 top 50 prospects by 2017?
    What's better, top 50 prospects or 50 top prospects?

Thing BIG

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC 26m26 minutes ago
    Don't forget, #Braves could have a nice add to bullpen in Moylan. He could be close.
    Natural Immunity Croc