Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Election Coverage: Aka Every Way You Look at it You Lose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm not in their shoes, but the problem with the hyperbole--a lot of it downright nasty--that was uttered by both sides during the campaign cannot be erased. Trump is saying all the right things after his win, but if that doesn't translate into some actions to assuage the concerns of many segments of the population, I can understand why they are concerned.
    He's clarified his most outrageous remarks to a more reasonable position though. The problem is that you have social media people and tv media like comedy central or Samantha Bee who are constantly screaming racism and bigotry at every little thing. Just the other day Maher talked about how it was a mistake for him to cry wolf over how bad Romney and McCain would have been for this country, and then in the next sentence went on to state that Trump is going to be a malevolent dictator who will hold onto power at all costs. You're doing it again, Bill!

It also should be pointed out that a lot of these protesters are bused in and funded by moveon.org. The good news is that Americans don't like this kind of crap.
    thank you weso1!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-12-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    And if you want that simple reason spoon fed to you.

Look at the total votes. Donald got the same number or less than McCain and Romney.

In 2012 Romney got 2,115,000 votes in michigan, Trump got 2,277,000. A big improvement but falls well shy of Obama's 2,564,000. In Wisconsin Trump got a measley 4K more votes than Romney.

Basically if 2016 Trump ran against 2012 Obama on pure vote numbers. Trump loses Michigan, Wisconsin, PA, Ohio, and the election. THat's not factoring in outside factors of course, but it's the reality that Hillary lost because she couldn't inspire her base. Not because of anything Trump did or independents did. She couldn't get her base out to vote.
    The alt right was a huge boost for Trump and the whole reason for their existence was the leftist movement to scarlet letter people they disagree with by labeling them racist, bigot or homophobic without evidence. I don't like a lot of the alt right's trolling tactics, but I think they had a huge impact on this election. It was like free internet advertising for Trump.

Not saying that is was the reason. There was more than one reason for Trump's victory.
    thank you weso1!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-12-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    He's clarified his most outrageous remarks to a more reasonable position though. The problem is that you have social media people and tv media like comedy central or Samantha Bee who are constantly screaming racism and bigotry at every little thing. Just the other day Maher talked about how it was a mistake for him to cry wolf over how bad Romney and McCain would have been for this country, and then in the next sentence went on to state that Trump is going to be a malevolent dictator who will hold onto power at all costs. You're doing it again, Bill!

It also should be pointed out that a lot of these protesters are bused in and funded by moveon.org. The good news is that Americans don't like this kind of crap.
    I mean, in his defense he IS Bill Maher. Kinda his deal.
    Ivermectin Man

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2016)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts

Yep... anyone who truly thinks he's a racist who is going to kill all minorities are just being dramatic... again, he's married to an immigrant

But I do laugh... as the same people who mock the 2nd amendment folks who want to keep our guns due to future tyrannical governments... are the same people who are saying Trump is the next Hitler.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I really don't see the problem with what he said about illegal immigrants. They are called illegal immigrants for a reason. Normally when you do something illegal and you break the law, there are consequences. What's the problem here? People take a president who wants to punish people that are breaking the law and instantly start overreacting saying they're "literally shaking", "fearing for their life", "getting sent back to Africa or Asia", "afraid to even go outside" etc. These people will never get their way because they are constantly either being overly dramatic and annoying or they're out on the streets stopping traffic on the highways and vandalizing peoples cars, small businesses etc. People want unity, well it's time to grow up. I'm not going to unify with deplorables who are out causing destruction on the streets and making false claims to stir up pandemonium among the population over issues that don't even exist.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    The alt right was a huge boost for Trump and the whole reason for their existence was the leftist movement to scarlet letter people they disagree with by labeling them racist, bigot or homophobic without evidence. I don't like a lot of the alt right's trolling tactics, but I think they had a huge impact on this election. It was like free internet advertising for Trump.

Not saying that is was the reason. There was more than one reason for Trump's victory.
    Don't discount Ben Carson's My Faith Votes initiative. Because I have contributed to both Democratic and Republican candidates over the years, I'm on everyone's list-serv and I was getting stuff from Carson's outfit multiple times a day during the last week. I think one of the problems for the Republicans in trying to forge an on-going coalition will be to merge the alt-right and the values voters.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

But, and I will be guilty of hyperbole here, that's like having an abusive husband say "I'm not going to be as bad from this point forward." Actions will speak louder than words. This was an extremely careless election rhetorically with both candidates going around the bend way too much than what's good for the process. One doesn't have to be achingly politically correct to show a little bit of sensitivity.

As for the demonstration angle, those on the right seemed to think all the anti-ACA demonstrations were the greatest thing in the world and an expression of direct democracy. I guess it all depends on what one is demonstrating for or against as to whether or not a segment of Americans hate that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2016)

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Yep... anyone who truly thinks he's a racist who is going to kill all minorities are just being dramatic... again, he's married to an immigrant

But I do laugh... as the same people who mock the 2nd amendment folks who want to keep our guns due to future tyrannical governments... are the same people who are saying Trump is the next Hitler.
    You'd like to think these people rejecting and protesting Trump will take a closer look at the merits of LIMITED GOVERNMENT in the future.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Funny to think that these protestors would have been labeled as racists and bigots had it been republicans protesting after the 2008 and 2012 elections.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomahawking4life For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (11-10-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Im trying to figure out what you are protesting? Our democratic process (everyone in favor, correct?) elected a president. What are you hoping to accomplish? A non democracy? Or is it just we lost, I want to cry about it?

As a side not, University (or Universities) that are cancelling classes over the election results are really doing this country a disservice. What type of standard is this setting? What is next, the Redskins lost so I'm not going to work tomorrow?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawking4life View Post
    Funny to think that these protestors would have been labeled as racists and bigots had it been republicans protesting after the 2008 and 2012 elections.
    I'm pretty sure the message would dictate whether or not such a protest was performed out of bigotry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Im trying to figure out what you are protesting? Our democratic process (everyone in favor, correct?) elected a president. What are you hoping to accomplish? A non democracy? Or is it just we lost, I want to cry about it?

As a side not, University (or Universities) that are cancelling classes over the election results are really doing this country a disservice. What type of standard is this setting? What is next, the Redskins lost so I'm not going to work tomorrow?
    Awareness that a lot of Americans are terrified at the message this election sent. A Trump victory signals that running a campaign that opposes Muslims, immigrants and refugees, equates African Americans with inner city violence and then proposes profiling across the nation, openly supports restricting the reproductive rights of women, and includes Mike Pence and his views on gay fights is one that can triumph in America. I think that's worth a protest or two to show that not everyone agrees with this.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Awareness that a lot of Americans are terrified at the message this election sent.
    So they are protesting against the candidate that our country voted to elect? What is it going to accomplish? Do you think people were ignorant to what Hillary and Trump support?

Why didn't we protest the nominations of both the Republicans and Democrats due to the message their nominations sent? They are both turds. America simply elected the lesser of two evils. If I had free time and was a Democrat, I would "protest" the Democratic Headquarters for putting out the only candidate in the U.S. that could possibly lose to Trump.

Obviously no candidate is without warts. They are protesting against democracy.

P.S. I ignored the hyperbole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    So they are protesting against the candidate that our country voted to elect? What is it going to accomplish? Do you think people were ignorant to what Hillary and Trump support?

Why didn't we protest the nominations of both the Republicans and Democrats due to the message their nominations sent? They are both turds. America simply elected the lesser of two evils. If I had free time and was a Democrat, I would "protest" the Democratic Headquarters for putting out the only candidate in the U.S. that could possibly lose to Trump.

Obviously no candidate is without warts. They are protesting against democracy.
    A protest doesn't need to be done in order to change the result of something. Like I said, many are protesting now to bring awareness to what they feel are very real threats to many Americans. Regardless of how you might feel about the election, to many this election represented a step in the wrong direction when it comes to national bigotry. If you don't understand the point behind protesting that representation, I'm afraid we are not going to find any common ground in this discussion.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    A protest doesn't need to be done in order to change the result of something. Like I said, many are protesting now to bring awareness to what they feel are very real threats to many Americans. Regardless of how you might feel about the election, to many this election represented a step in the wrong direction when it comes to national bigotry. If you don't understand the point behind protesting that representation, I'm afraid we are not going to find any common ground in this discussion.
    These protests are sad and childish. Destroying property and causing damage is the dumbest thing these maniacs do. It's one big temper tantrum because they are upset their criminal lost.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

It's gets more than a little crazy when universities cancel courses, but Obama won by a larger margin than Trump in both 2008 and 2012 and that didn't stop the "End of the World" zeitgeist from those on the right. Granted, it didn't start the day after the election (except for talk radio), but what we saw throughout his tenure got pretty ugly at several junctures. And people have a right to demonstrate.

People demonstrate these days and I'll post this little scene from This is Spinal Tap, because both sides now "go to 11."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Bring awareness to them being scared over nothing? How is protesting and painting awful hate crime messages throughout inner cities a solution to "national bigotry?"

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It's gets more than a little crazy when universities cancel courses, but Obama won by a larger margin than Trump in both 2008 and 2012 and that didn't stop the "End of the World" zeitgeist from those on the right. Granted, it didn't start the day after the election (except for talk radio), but what we saw throughout his tenure got pretty ugly at several junctures. And people have a right to demonstrate.

People demonstrate these days and I'll post this little scene from This is Spinal Tap, because both sides now "go to 11."

I disagree with any protest that infringes on the rights of others. If you want to assemble and go protest in the park, have at it. If there were these types of protests against OBama, they are stupid as well.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

ESP47 (11-10-2016)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Well, for starters, that's an ignorant and lazy representation of events.

I would love to see you attempt to back it up with a meaningful consideration of the facts and not exaggerated rhetoric.

The biggest chance these 'many Americans' had to 'protest' was their vote.

Like it or not, Trump has been given a clear systemic mandate to lead. These sore losers (I'm sorry to be crass, but frankly there is no other way to characterize all of this absolute butthurt) need to get on with their lives instead of wasting time making noise about something that isn't going to change.
    Last edited by Hawk; 11-10-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Well, for starters, that's an ignorant and lazy representation.

I would love to see you attempt to back it up with a meaningful consideration of the facts and not exaggerated rhetoric.

The biggest chance these 'many Americans' had to 'protest' was their vote.

Like it or not, Trump has been given a clear systemic mandate to lead. These sore losers (I'm sorry to be crass, but frankly there is no other way to characterize all of this absolute butthurt) need to get on with their lives instead of wasting time making noise about something that isn't going to change.
    And should not change. We all had our votes and a winner was elected. Time to move on from there.