Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fast food workers go on strike

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Again, it's crazy to see this vitriol against the working poor. Have you guys had empathectomies or something?
    I think a majority of us here are equally as vitriolic toward the 'working' upper and middle classes and the general disparity of wealth in this country. Maybe that's just me.

The solution is not to overfund the underfunded. That's inflationary, and literally the last thing our grade B economy needs.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I think a majority of us here are equally as vitriolic toward the 'working' upper and middle classes and the general disparity of wealth in this country. Maybe that's just me.

The solution is not to overfund the underfunded. That's inflationary, and literally the last thing our grade B economy needs.
    Maybe that's just you.

I'm objecting to the vitriol against the poor—which is a standard feature in these parts—not actually opining on the efficacy of a minimum-wage increase.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Maybe that's just you.

I'm objecting to the vitriol against the poor—which is a standard feature in these parts—not actually opining on the efficacy of a minimum-wage increase.
    Well, that's noble of you Julio.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Well, that's noble of you Julio.
    Just easily annoyed, I think.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bj1133 View Post
    The argument that "It's not enough to feed a family" doesn't work for me. If McDonalds is your source of income, then you shouldn't start a family. Personal responsibility is severely lacking in this country.
    BINGO!!!

Don't tell the Libs that, procreate more gives them more votes.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    What if you had a better job but lost it? I guess you should have taken personal responsibility for accurately forecasting the global economic trends that led to your getting laid off.

Again, it's crazy to see this vitriol against the working poor. Have you guys had empathectomies or something?
    In your scenario above, the move from good job to McDonalds would only be temporary and a 2nd/part time job wouldn't/shouldn't be out of the question.

The personal responsibility jab was aimed at those who have kids/family without having their ducks lined up and then have to rely on others for help or complain about how crappy their lives are now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bj1133 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (08-31-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    BINGO!!!

Don't tell the Libs that, procreate more gives them more votes.
    No, I'm afraid you've got it all wrong. Liberals love abortion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Maybe that's just you.

because minimum wage increase will hurt the middle class especially those who's business depends on high school students and what not to survive. What is it good to own a business but only pays you 60k while each of your workers are making 20k. Your expenses in wages exceed your own by 2 and 3 folds, that is not a good business model.

I don't shop at Walmart that often (mainly Target/Menards) but you have to have a store that cater to the bottom feeders for everyday things. I know it hurts the middle class businesses but think about it, if those business have to pay a higher minimum wage, they themselves will go out of business as well.

In the end they aren't going to get their way so all this hubbub is not going to do a darn thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    ha ha touché.

But more out of wedlock kids to welfare moms is better business for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    In your scenario above, the move from good job to McDonalds would only be temporary and a 2nd/part time job wouldn't/shouldn't be out of the question.

The personal responsibility jab was aimed at those who have kids/family without having their ducks lined up and then have to rely on others for help or complain about how crappy their lives are now.
    Would it? Seems like there are plenty of qualified and motivated people who are severely underemployed.

As for those who don't have their ducks lined up, why are you so quick to make the assumption that the person making the generic complaint about raising a family is one or the other?
    Last edited by Julio3000; 08-31-2013 at 02:20 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (08-31-2013)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Would it? Seem like there are plenty of qualified and motivated people who are severely underemployed?

As for those who don't have their ducks lined up, why are you so quick to make the assumption that the person making the generic complaint about raising a family is one or the other?
    Facebook tells me so

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bj1133 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (08-31-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Would it? Seem like there are plenty of qualified and motivated people who are severely underemployed?

I like this question.

Now answer it yourself?

I have seen friends lose their jobs to outsourcing and they have masters degrees. They knew they weren't going to get a good job right away and they were looking at foreclosures and some got foreclosed, some didn't. The ones that didn't work two and three jobs, at fast food places.
    Humbling yes, but did they complain about the wages, no, because they knew their place. They must tread water before a job that they were qualified for opened.

These people now never were in that position, but want that pay increase now without schooling and without toiling bettering themselves, this is what I have a problem with. WE do not owe them a better minimum wage, if you want higher pay, go to school or find a job, a business shouldn't have to pay you more unless they raise prices and you are back to square one.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    I have seen friends lose their jobs to outsourcing and they have masters degrees. They knew they weren't going to get a good job right away and they were looking at foreclosures and some got foreclosed, some didn't. The ones that didn't work two and three jobs, at fast food places.
    Humbling yes, but did they complain about the wages, no, because they knew their place. They must tread water before a job that they were qualified for opened.
    This is the point I should have made in my last post - these people who are forced to take the fast food jobs after losing their better/higher paying jobs aren't the ones complaining about the pay. They knew the pay was crap/not enough for a family and that's why they had the better job/went to school for a degree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    That's a fair point, although it might underplay the fact that there is quite a lot of long-term underemployment out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    That's a fair point, although it might underplay the fact that there is quite a lot of long-term underemployment out there.
    Unfortunately this is true.

Sad isn't it.

I can understand your point on mega corporations like McDonalds and others but if you raise the minimum wages, those stores that competes against Walmart will soon go out of business as well if they have to raise prices.

My friend own 3 national chain sub shops and he lives an even smaller house than I and I see them often. I wonder a owner of three sub shops can't afford a nice place he said payroll is high and keeping people is tough, I am barely getting by.

He drives a 2003 Honda accord and just recently bought a Dodge Town and country for his family. I am thinking wow he is worst off than us. I get paid decently as a programmer and my wife business is only catered to 8 clients so we don't get put in the next tax bracket and do okay.

If they raise the minimum wage he probably would have to sell one of his shops or lay off people.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I don't think these coercive lawyer run unions are truly free market, but neither is today's corporatism.

I don't understand it when you say you don't like selective enforcement of free market economics, but at the same time you essentially say that you yourself believe in selective enforcement of free market.

Glad to see you posting more on here. Always appreciate your opinions. Now we just need a few more conservatives.
    Oh, well in case I wasn't clear, I am not a free market capitalist. I like a well regulated economy.

The emphasis on well though... minimum wage laws have their use, but they are not the answer.

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    The argument that "It's not enough to feed a family" doesn't work for me. If McDonalds is your source of income, then you shouldn't start a family. Personal responsibility is severely lacking in this country.
    You're giving me the impression that you believe that all families are planned. Who are these people that are working at McDonald's thinking, "You know what? It's time to have kids."

As far as personal responsibility...some people...no, all people **** up in their lifetimes. At least they are working. The less these people make at their jobs, the more dependent and reliant they are on the government.

If I have to pay a little more for a ****ty Big Mac, just so Jim-Bob can get by, so be it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,703 Posts
    A lot of things well run would be great. The problem is the government is not capable of running anything well or efficiently.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (08-31-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    A lot of things well run would be great. The problem is the government is not capable of running anything well or efficiently.
    This is so true.