Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gattis tearing it up at AAA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    GF has had it in for Gattis since the winter. He claimed he saw him play which wasn't true because he said he would never play meaningful time at catcher in the a majors. You have to understand what you're dealing with here.
    Natural Immunity Croc

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    GF has had it in for Gattis since the winter. He claimed he saw him play which wasn't true because he said he would never play meaningful time at catcher in the a majors. You have to understand what you're dealing with here.

Much like the old site - it tends to take quite a bit of time explaining that post counts don't have very much to do with baseball acumen.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-03-2013)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    115 wrc+ is not failing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    115 wrc+ is not failing
    Imagine how the tone of the conversation would change if he were a National!!!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    If Gattis does well in the postseason, we'll be sick of the coverage.

....not saying that's a bad thing.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Great to see Gattis back. Compact swing back.

I think Gattis can be a starting C. I think he can improve. I think he's ok on D. And I think ppl forget how low the offensive bar is at C.

But he's a HUGE drop off from McCann. So if McCann is gone, I'm not sure how we make up the difference.....b/c next year we aren't going to run away with it again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Great to see Gattis back. Compact swing back.

I think Gattis can be a starting C. I think he can improve. I think he's ok on D. And I think ppl forget how low the offensive bar is at C.

But he's a HUGE drop off from McCann. So if McCann is gone, I'm not sure how we make up the difference.....b/c next year we aren't going to run away with it again.
    You just have to hope that Heyward has a full year like he should have and BJ Upton bounces back to go along with Justin getting closer to his ability. I would rather Mac stay but it makes sense to let him walk and just pick up the draft pick. Hopefully Liberty opens up the pocket book and keeps him.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    There is a dropoff from McCann to Gattis. But that doesn't mean that Gattis is not a very useful bench player. He might continue to improve and eventually become the kind of player that can be the starting catcher for a championship quality team. He's not that far away from being there.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    really kind of amazing that sending him down for three days ignited him the way it has. Hope they have the brains to play him again today, somewhere.

I read where they wanted to send him down sooner but kept him up for El Oso Blanco day. Stupid, on a couple levels. You think he needs the AB's, but you wait a week? For a promotion, and then he doesn't play, just pinch hits? (and is intentionally walked, crazy)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteirish View Post
    really kind of amazing that sending him down for three days ignited him the way it has. Hope they have the brains to play him again today, somewhere.

I read where they wanted to send him down sooner but kept him up for El Oso Blanco day. Stupid, on a couple levels. You think he needs the AB's, but you wait a week? For a promotion, and then he doesn't play, just pinch hits? (and is intentionally walked, crazy)
    Stupid? What did it cost us? Nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JCarbo76 View Post
    Stupid? What did it cost us? Nothing.
    Stunting the development of a player with Gattis' ability is not a smart idea. Especially because it appears to have been financially motivated. There is probably a greater than 50% chance that Gattis is our starting catcher next year. We needed him to be a more finished product at this point in the year so he could go into next year ready to mash like he did the first two months of the season.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Pittsburgh traded for Morneau because they felt he'd make a difference. His numbers were AT BEST marginally better than Gattis' numbers when he was getting regular ABs.

Evan was sent to Gwinnett in the hopes he'd see something other than breaking balls that never got within 10" of the plate and fastballs that were below his shoulders.

He saw a few over the weekend, and adjusted pretty well.

Show me some numbers mouthpiece. The number I saw counted tonight and amazingly didn't reflect your views.

What are you trying to say? It's just mumbo jumbo with some mouthpiece thrown at the end? Mornaeua has been terrrible this year (up until Aug). What is your point?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Much like the old site - it tends to take quite a bit of time explaining that post counts don't have very much to do with baseball acumen.
    Yeah, if anyone says anything other than sucking a Braves players dick, they clearly don't know what they are talking about. Same as the old site.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Yeah, I must not have seen him as much as you bc you predicted a .850 OPS or higher. Man, I need to watch players more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Yeah, I must not have seen him as much as you bc you predicted a .850 OPS or higher. Man, I need to watch players more.
    We don't' know what would have happened had he got regular AB's. Whether you believe it or not he needed that opportunity because of his limited exposure to breaking balls. Lets see where he is next year when he gets more time. He sure did well this year when he was getting starting nods at catcher.

How about the fact that he would never get meaningful time at catcher because you saw him as a horrible minor league defensive catcher? I mean, he must have figured out how to play league average MAJOR LEAGUE DEFENSE overnight.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    You can come up with excuses all you want.

Hey, "he didn't play enough catcher to show how bad he is" "he benefited from getting limited at bats" "he benefited from nightly thethe blowjobs"

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Morneau is an absolute shadow of his former self. He simply hasn't recovered from this concussion issues. He may put up a couple of months for the Pirates, but I'm going to be very curious as to what the market for him will be this off-season. Talk that the Twins will offer him a low-ball deal, but there's also talk that the Twins are going to move Mauer to 1B next year.

With Gattis, the Braves hit the reset button by sending him to Gwinnett. Like Yogi Berra said, "90 percent of the game is half mental." We'll see if it works, but the Braves figured Gattis needed some "live" batting practice.

I've always seen Gattis as a 300 AB guy who hopefully learns to play some 1B along with C and LF. He's the "dancing" white bear in the field right now, but I think he's looked okay in LF for a guy who hasn't spent a ton of time out there. Should be a decent platoon guy for a few years, if not in Atlanta, somewhere else. I don't want to see the DH in the NL, but if that happens, Gattis will have a home in Atlanta for a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    You can come up with excuses all you want.

Hey, "he didn't play enough catcher to show how bad he is" "he benefited from getting limited at bats" "he benefited from nightly thethe blowjobs"
    Sure is working for Kaepernick.

Seriously though, I can't believe someone who has as much baseball experience as you can really believe that getting limited AB's will negatively impact the production of a player with such limited experience facing advanced pitchers. His swings looked great last night.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Morneau is an absolute shadow of his former self. He simply hasn't recovered from this concussion issues. He may put up a couple of months for the Pirates, but I'm going to be very curious as to what the market for him will be this off-season. Talk that the Twins will offer him a low-ball deal, but there's also talk that the Twins are going to move Mauer to 1B next year.

With Gattis, the Braves hit the reset button by sending him to Gwinnett. Like Yogi Berra said, "90 percent of the game is half mental." We'll see if it works, but the Braves figured Gattis needed some "live" batting practice.

I've always seen Gattis as a 300 AB guy who hopefully learns to play some 1B along with C and LF. He's the "dancing" white bear in the field right now, but I think he's looked okay in LF for a guy who hasn't spent a ton of time out there. Should be a decent platoon guy for a few years, if not in Atlanta, somewhere else. I don't want to see the DH in the NL, but if that happens, Gattis will have a home in Atlanta for a bit.
    Braves will continue to win 95 games a year if the DH comes to Atlanta. It would be great to see what Gattis could do with 600 ABs
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

Thats pretty much how it should be.