Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Democratic Policies

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    It's irrelevant. You are not proposing a feasible policy. When you do, I'll listen
    Totally feasible with raised revenues—which could be accomplished with a combination of reforms to current tax policies, and—for some of the wealthiest, yes—tax increases.

But you don't want to entertain that sort of thing, just as you accuse 57 of failing to entertain any budgetary cuts. Tu quoque there, bro.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post

Since we started talking about this many years ago "we" have yet to see your idea of a proposal
    It may surprise you that my solution doesn't rest in the hands of government

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Totally feasible with raised revenues—which could be accomplished with a combination of reforms to current tax policies, and—for some of the wealthiest, yes—tax increases.

But you don't want to entertain that sort of thing, just as you accuse 57 of failing to entertain any budgetary cuts. Tu quoque there, bro.
    I won't entertain the idea of government confiscating more money from people

57 won't entertain the idea of government confiscating less money from people

I think I have the moral high ground here

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Jpx7, where are we going to get the money. you can;t tax the rich any more than you are now, which I think is the highest in the world (Corporate).

And if you did go that route, you are going to put a lot of people out of work, hours reduced and other catastrophic consequences. This should have been done back in the 40's not now in a global capitalist world.

Government cannot foot the medical bill unless you ask doctors, nurses, hospitals anything else that accommodates them a pay cut.

So, how are you going to pay for it.....you can raise the taxes on us middle class and poor and pay for it, as it will pass there? Just forget about sticking it to the man because they are much smarter than we are and will avoid that hike and if so, the prices will go up because in the end, we will still pay for it.....as always.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I won't entertain the idea of government confiscating more money from people

57 won't entertain the idea of government confiscating less money from people

I think I have the moral high ground here
    I disagree—a think a society's failing to care for the health and well-being of (every one) of its constituents is a much bigger sin than confiscating money. But you already knew that. And the wheel spins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I disagree—a think a society's failing to care for the health and well-being of (every one) of its constituents is a much bigger sin than confiscating money. But you already knew that. And the wheel spins.
    It can't be fixed unless a lot of things happen and neither side will give in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Jpx7, where are we going to get the money. you can;t tax the rich any more than you are now, which I think is the highest in the world (Corporate).

And if you did go that route, you are going to put a lot of people out of work, hours reduced and other catastrophic consequences. This should have been done back in the 40's not now in a global capitalist world.

Government cannot foot the medical bill unless you ask doctors, nurses, hospitals anything else that accommodates them a pay cut.

So, how are you going to pay for it.....you can raise the taxes on us middle class and poor and pay for it, as it will pass there? Just forget about sticking it to the man because they are much smarter than we are and will avoid that hike and if so, the prices will go up because in the end, we will still pay for it.....as always.
    Cost-controls are a thing. Our government already inflates the price of corn; why not cap the cost of drugs?

Or, you know, just dismantle the global capitalist infrastructure. But I'm willing to entertain reasonable solutions to avoid that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Cost-controls are a thing. Our government already inflates the price of corn; why not cap the cost of drugs?

Or, you know, just dismantle the global capitalist infrastructure. But I'm willing to entertain reasonable solutions to avoid that.
    Yeah, about that........right, you know that is now impossible unless putting the world in a financial tailspin. Pandora's Box is already open and the division is too wide to do anything about it.

The key to fixing this issue is the baby boomers and the generation after that but they have to be more logical to their approach as you have to dampen the greed factor (republicans) and the sloth factor liberals (welfare people who won't even try to better themselves). That is what we should be focusing on. But how politics and the media is played now, it won't happen. They need a black and white side, a red and a blue side, anything that controversial to keep the ratings and each other at our throats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts

I'm a stock-holder of Gilead. In 2014, they brought a drug to market that cured Hep-C, a deadly disease that previously required a lifetime of treatment if not a liver transplant. They priced the drug at $94K, and your Hep-C was gone.

Now, people like Bernie Sanders had a big issue with this. How could these greedy bastards charge this much money??? They have a cure, and they are price gouging!! Many people on the left demanded price controls. Many people demanded that the government not allow this. I read countless articles about it, every freaking day (ignoring the fact that $94K is FAR cheaper than lifetime maintenance and liver transplants)

Now, a little background.

Gilead a few years ago wanted to cure Hep-C, so they invested $2.4B in R&D to do it... and they failed.

Then, they went out and spent $11B on a company that has 0 revenues, because they believed their compound would work with Gildead's to make the cure.

3 years later, and another $1.5B in R&D, they found the cure.

Bernie bros see the price tag of a cure and cry foul. I see a company that invested $14.9B before finding a miracle drug. And they've made a fortune off of it. And I'm sure glad they have.

The question for you is, if the US government decides to implement price controls, do you think we would see something like this? Because this is a very uncommon story... 9/10 drugs FAIL in trials. When you hit on one, you need to hit big - not only to re-coup your costs, but to invest in the next big thing (Gilead just closed a deal to buy a zero revenue company for $12B in an effort to cure blood cancer)

Oh - and you know the kicker? The cost of Gilead's life-saving druf is now down to about $27K... you know why, a whole bunch of competitors came in to drive down the costs.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (09-13-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    you obviously read bad material or didn't understand the material or talking out of your hat.
    2008-09 I underwent a years worth of Hep-C treatment while a professor at the university I work was integral in the development of the drug you speak.
    I am far too familiar with the process

Perhaps when America was great it was a lifetime ordeal, a year of mild chemo and the virus was arrested.

On the open market the cost of the certain cure drug is prohibitive. Inside of an HMO or a not bottom level insurance policy the costs are manageable.
    I know a few that went through that treatment and of course that was the first question

For a young man that squawks his health insurance outlay -- I wonder where those dollars will go and with cost controls added I would think you would be first in line to champion Sen Sanders proposal.

The reality is there has to be a national health care program --- evidence (R) failure to repeal and replace
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Arresting the runaway drug costs will greatly influence the prices.
    Arresting CEO and management costs will greatly influence the prices
    Arresting insurance overhead costs will greatly influence the prices.

this isn't hard

Unless of course you stand to make a killing on the overpriced drug
    Is that the case ?
    Should Sen Sanders proposal go through you will lose money
    Took me 5-7 years to figure that out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    You didn't answer my question.

And I'm aware the fed is and will always be involved. Once you give someone the entitlement, you can never take it back (because people like you will always cry foul)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Arresting the runaway drug costs will greatly influence the prices.
    Arresting CEO and management costs will greatly influence the prices
    Arresting insurance overhead costs will greatly influence the prices.

this isn't hard

Unless of course you stand to make a killing on the overpriced drug
    Is that the case ?
    Should Sen Sanders proposal go through you will lose money
    Took me 5-7 years to figure that out
    So you want to arrest the CEO of Gilead for charging $94K?

Do you understand what you are proposing... you are not proposing fairness... you are proposing a world where that miracle drug would not exist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    which question
    You ask more questions than a spoiled 8 year old.

Bout time you start bringing some answers or ideas around

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    So you want to arrest the CEO of Gilead for charging $94K?

Do you understand what you are proposing... you are not proposing fairness... you are proposing a world where that miracle drug would not exist
    Do you understand there are other uses of the word arrest outside of the sheriff coming to your door ....

That miracle drug will exist because there are people in this world that don't function solely for the buck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts

That miracle drug will exist because there are people in this world that don't function solely for the buck
    I hope those people also have $14.9B to invest and ****ton of brain power

That's the part you guys always forget. If you can't guarantee that they can make a return, who the heck is going to take the risk?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Bout time you start bringing some answers or ideas around
    My answer is to STOP doubling down on things that do not work (government) and start investing more in things that do (private sector)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    wouldn't that be the pharmaceutical monster Sanders etal are trying to tame ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    My answer is to STOP doubling down on things that do not work (government) and start investing more in things that do (private sector)
    That is silly.

you just finished telling us that a drug takes $14.9B to get to manufacture -- to my mind that is not the definition of "working"

You never answered --- are you invested the pharmaceutical industry ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    That is silly.

you just finished telling us that a drug takes $14.9B to get to manufacture -- to my mind that is not the definition of "working"

You never answered --- are you invested the pharmaceutical industry ?

You really don't understand how anything works.