Page 264 of 579 FirstFirst ... 164214254262263264265266274314364 ... LastLast
Results 5,261 to 5,280 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    He basically said he didn’t believe in the part of the numbers that looked bad.
    You need to go back and read it, methinks... ole' obtuse cacky

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Yes, but that’s not what happened.

His last two months were not anything like the “same old Markakis” it was substantially worse.

And was as unlucky according to babip as the previous four months were lucky.

Old players tend to tail off at the end of the season.
    Old players also tend to suck as they get even older... which jives with the trends over the past 4 years if you're anything but a Markakis homer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    All I’ve ever said about Markakis is That he doesn’t bother me as a fall back at the right price and his prospects of being productive in the first half of the season aren’t as dim as others have made it out to be.
    No argument you have made has made his first half look like anything other than an obvious blip of unsustainable luck.... unless you're being obtuse, which is becoming more and more apparent that you are

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    You’ve basically shown he can be a 1.0 war player going forward. Cool. I don’t see that as a decent fallback option.
    I think he can be an above average hitter, particularly in the first half. He's already a fit for the team culture and he should be someone who can be brought back cheaply without much commitment.

In the absence of a big move, I prefer him to most of the second and third tier options who would be costly to acquire in trade that are being thrown around. It's a low risk move that keeps all the Braves powder dry. And the Braves have at least two other internal options for the position in Duvall and Camargo that give them other options headed into the summer acquisition period.

I have the sense that people either don't believe some of these lower tier options would cost much in trade (certainly not as much as their surplus value calculations) or they undervalue some of the assets the Braves would be sending away. Sometimes in reliance on their overvaluing their potential replacements.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not unless they stop televising Braves Live and Quick Pitch, or MLB.com suddenly discontinues the Braves' website.

I miss a lot of dunks since I don't watch NBA games - doesn't cost me much sleep.
    Maybe not a great strategy for someone who only uses the magical eyeball test

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    No argument you have made has made his first half look like anything other than an obvious blip of unsustainable luck.... unless you're being obtuse, which is becoming more and more apparent that you are
    All of 2018 reflects an improvement in K and BB rates.

his first half was fortunate but not nearly as fortunate as it has been made out to be. His second half certainly looks unfortunate, but is consistent with his second half in 2017, which suggests that perhaps he has reached the age where a full season is too much for him at this point in his career.

you folks are acting like I'm pencilling him in for the All Star game again. I'm not. I'm simply saying acquiring him cheaply and using him in conjunction with other options isn't such a bad alternative, particularly in comparison with some of the ideas being thrown around here.

I wanted to upgrade the position with a better player. Now that the prospects of doing that cheaply are reduced. I'm more inclined to wait for a solution that makes more sense than what I've seen here. At least those that I think have a prayer of happening.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Old players also tend to suck as they get even older... which jives with the trends over the past 4 years if you're anything but a Markakis homer

You are more emotional about this than I am, I promise you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    lol... yeah, that's pretty clear I'm sure...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    All of 2018 reflects an improvement in K and BB rates.

his first half was fortunate but not nearly as fortunate as it has been made out to be. His second half certainly looks unfortunate, but is consistent with his second half in 2017, which suggests that perhaps he has reached the age where a full season is too much for him at this point in his career.

you folks are acting like I'm pencilling him in for the All Star game again. I'm not. I'm simply saying acquiring him cheaply and using him in conjunction with other options isn't such a bad alternative, particularly in comparison with some of the ideas being thrown around here.

I wanted to upgrade the position with a better player. Now that the prospects of doing that cheaply are reduced. I'm more inclined to wait for a solution that makes more sense than what I've seen here. At least those that I think have a prayer of happening.
    Yet you don't want players who will likely be 2 wins better... gotcha...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    This board does seem to get up in arms about markakis. I'd much rather upgrade him, but I could live with him if we land realmuto. I'm not emotional about it either way though

11. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (12-27-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Yet you don't want players who will likely be 2 wins better... gotcha...

I'd happily have upgraded Markakis. I wish they had signed Brantley. I could justify trading for Haniger, though I see it as unrealistic.

I have no interest in spending real assets on Joey Gallo or Max Kepler or Ian Happ. I'd rather bring Markakis back or some other similar option obtained cheaply, look at Camargo in the OF, upgrade other areas of the team, and marshal assets for the summer when better candidates might be available.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-27-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    This board does seem to get up in arms about markakis. I'd much rather upgrade him, but I could live with him if we land realmuto. I'm not emotional about it either way though
    Yeah, I don't care whether Markakis is on the team.

I think the Braves could go into the season without making any other hitting move and probably be ok. So I wouldn't tie him or any other stopgap in the OF to acquiring Realmuto.

they do need to spend some of the money they would save on upgrading some other area of the team. I guess that would leave the bullpen or rotation. I don't really see rotation upgrades out there except by trade though.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Then what's the point of watching any game live with these options?
    The same as being more interested in the numbers at the end of the year rather than watching every pitch?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Maybe not a great strategy for someone who only uses the magical eyeball test
    Pretty easy to eyeball HR highlights there just like it'd be easy to see dunk highlights on SportsCenter - if I bothered to watch it.

They tell you the number of HRs hit on top of the highlights, and I can go to the website to find out how many times everybody walked and struck out. Then I can check FanGraphs to answer any questions since my eyes are useless.

That way I could do something else between 7 and 11 for six months a year. Would save me the money I spend going to SunTrust for games so I could send it to Trump to help build his wall.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    The same as being more interested in the numbers at the end of the year rather than watching every pitch?
    Who is more interested in that? The numbers tell me who is good and who I would want on my team. How they go about those numbers doesn't concern me however. I watch every pitch because I enjoy watching baseball. And I love homeruns.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    See, I’d much rather pay the price for an OF upgrade than the even-richer price for Realmuto.
    Last edited by jpx7; 12-27-2018 at 07:24 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Who is more interested in that? The numbers tell me who is good and who I would want on my team. How they go about those numbers doesn't concern me however. I watch every pitch because I enjoy watching baseball. And I love homeruns.
    And a lot of people like to see people who can make contact - that's what the game was founded on from a hitter's side years and years ago - nobody's *itching about the numbers you guys provide about people hitting straight fastballs. You want to prove somebody's a "good hitter"? Show me he can hit a slider or change. If you keep throwing fastballs over the plate, eventually everybody adjusts.

Even Frenchy would have been an absolute monster if you didn't throw him breaking balls - regardless of velocity - he was a great athlete, eventually he would've caught up.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    And a lot of people like to see people who can make contact - that's what the game was founded on from a hitter's side years and years ago - nobody's *itching about the numbers you guys provide about people hitting straight fastballs. You want to prove somebody's a "good hitter"? Show me he can hit a slider or change. If you keep throwing fastballs over the plate, eventually everybody adjusts.

Even Frenchy would have been an absolute monster if you didn't throw him breaking balls - regardless of velocity - he was a great athlete, eventually he would've caught up.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Uggla never had near the talent that Gallo has and Uggla was very good young... Gallo is still young
    Everybody was "young" once - and you guys pick and choose who MIGHT improve as they age when it fits your narrative.

No big deal - just kinda hilarious to see some of the same people campaign for a guy like Gallo that screamed bloody murder about how bad the Uggla contract was.

Everybody can twist the numbers to make their argument regardless of which side they're grouped with - the deal Uggla signed after the trade was 5 years/$62 million - covering several free-agent years BTW. That's $12.4 million per. Average defense at 2B (would've been a huge stretch) and significant pop. Is anyone really suggesting Gallo's 4 years/$40 million will be that much better?

You guys have already told us that Gallo's infield defensive metrics shouldn't matter since we're only looking at him as an OF. How much better would Uggla have been if he would've only been asked to play "league-average" defense in LF where everybody sticks their *hittiest defender?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    They absolutely do (dig the long ball). Hit one with a calculator.

Teach them the numbers - right after you make the case that Maddux and Glavine aren't HOFers because of the metrics.