Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    I wish we would stop trying to trade him

but whatever

it's obvious through the years i have been a fan
    I wish we hadn't tried to trade him in the past. Now that we have gone down that road and probably spoiled any good will, and now that we've put him in a park that is a terrible fit for him, now I hope he does get traded. I have a feeling he is more likely to bounce back elsewhere and I would love to see it in time for his next contract. He can hold his head high for how he has acted here throughout the trade rumors and the rebuild.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I was probably the only one that said we should trade Julio in 2014 when he was pitching great, Sal can back that up. I didn’t think Julio was going to continue pitching like that and I thought it was the perfect time to cash in on him. In my opinion, for whatever it’s worth, is we missed the opportunity to trade him for high value. I believe we can still get something for him, but not much.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

FWIW...I don't see AA being full of crap. I see him more as just being vanilla like coy, so I'd have to believe it until he shows otherwise

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Evad View Post
    I was probably the only one that said we should trade Julio in 2014 when he was pitching great, Sal can back that up. I didn’t think Julio was going to continue pitching like that and I thought it was the perfect time to cash in on him. In my opinion, for whatever it’s worth, is we missed the opportunity to trade him for high value. I believe we can still get something for him, but not much.
    There were many people saying the Braves should trade Julio during the rebuild.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Yeah, he should have been traded

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    During that season not many were saying that. The people I talked to told me I was crazy. I asked them if they truly believed that Julio was that good. If you thought he was, keep him. If there was any doubt, obviously we should trade him. Again, we missed a golden opportunity to trade him. I’m not so sure we trade him now. Might as well wait till the deadline and see if he can regain any value.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    During that season not many were saying that. The people I talked to told me I was crazy. I asked them if they truly believed that Julio was that good. If you thought he was, keep him. If there was any doubt, obviously we should trade him. Again, we missed a golden opportunity to trade him. I’m not so sure we trade him now. Might as well wait till the deadline and see if he can regain any value.
    Trading Julio was never about how good anyone thought he was.

Trading Julio was always about not wasting a valuable pitcher’s value on a noncontender.

Or are you trying to suggest you predicted he would turn into a 1 win pitcher due to a knee injury in 2015, then bounce back to being a 3 win pitcher in 2016, and then decline into a 1 win pitcher in 2017?

I find that highly unlikely.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-13-2017 at 03:34 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

Trading Julio was always about not wasting a valuable pitcher’s value on a noncontender.

Or are you trying to suggest you predicted he would turn into a 1 win pitcher due to a knee injury in 2015, then bounce back to being a 3 win pitcher in 2016, and then decline into a 1 win pitcher in 2017?

If they'd traded him when they traded Alex Wood, I think they might have been able to sell high.

Then he had a bad year and never seemed to recover his value. They tried to shop him after his rebound, but it seems no one wanted to part with anything special. Then he crashed again.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

What I am saying is simple. I didn’t think Julio was as good as his 2014 season was. And suggested that trading him was the right direction to go in.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    What I am saying is simple. I didn’t think Julio was as good as his 2014 season was. And suggested that trading him was the right direction to go in.
    So what about his 2016 season, when he was equally as good as 2014?

He has produced 5.4 wins over the last 3 seasons. I think that's pretty close to what folks thought he was back in 2014, considering the knee injury that robbed him of about 1 win production.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-13-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I was for selling high on Julio and keeping Wood, who I have said since he was drafted had ace potential and of course we know how great a season he just had. It totally sucks we gave him and Peraza away for NOTHING but mostly sucks about losing Wood. I will always hate that and the Simmons trade most of all.

That said, I agree with AA above. I'd hold Julio now and hope he rebounds enough to move him in a better trade later. I hate selling low.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I was for selling high on Julio and keeping Wood, who I have said since he was drafted had ace potential and of course we know how great a season he just had. It totally sucks we gave him and Peraza away for NOTHING but mostly sucks about losing Wood. I will always hate that and the Simmons trade most of all.

That said, I agree with AA above. I'd hold Julio now and hope he rebounds enough to move him in a better trade later. I hate selling low.
    Questioning whether the Braves missed the opportunity to sell high on Julio is certainly a legitimate question - but can be at least partially explained by the economic forces surrounding the opening of the new park when he wasn't traded prior to 2016.

Suggesting that Alex Wood was ever going to be an "Ace" (even following last season) is a *ell of a stretch. If you did so - and aren't actually thethe logged in under your usernane - you missed your calling.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?