Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sniffing around on Yelich, Realmuto

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I think 82 games in suntrust park with the short right field would help Yelichs power numbers. I say you do it. Acuna inciarte and Yelich in the outfield is too good to pass up
    If the Braves can do it without giving up Acuna, Albies, Gohard, or Wright then I would do it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    If the Braves can do it without giving up Acuna, Albies, Gohard, or Wright then I would do it.
    I’m okay giving up Gohara. We should get a good player in the draft. Really don’t want to give up Acuna or Wright
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    I think 82 games in suntrust park with the short right field would help Yelichs power numbers. I say you do it. Acuna inciarte and Yelich in the outfield is too good to pass up
    Here are all of Yelich’s fly balls the last 3 years displayed over Suntrust Park:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statc...t_name_592885_

(It always goes to KC for some reason, so you’ll have to switch it to Atlanta)

It looks like he would have gained 3 HRs to LF and 1 to RF. A few would have been wall scrapers that may not have gone out. He hits very few balls down the RF line where the fence is closer in Suntrust.

I doubt Suntrust would have any meaningful impact on his HR totals. All benefits likely come from leaving Marlins Park.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-05-2018 at 08:10 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-06-2018), zedsdead (01-06-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I’m okay giving up Gohara. We should get a good player in the draft. Really don’t want to give up Acuna or Wright
    I would much rather give up Wright than I would Gohara, but I think it really is a matter of preference. I just think a lefty that throws as hard as Gohara has too high of a ceiling to trade. He also has a chance to be a big time contributor this year, while Wright is still a year or so away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Wright will probably only need 1 full year of seasoning. He has 4 pitches he throws for strikes and has been working all offseason on making them all plus pitches. I love him and Gohara both that’s why I’m torn on it bc I think those are our only 2 TOR arms on the team or in the system.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Again...we are talking about two pitchers that very likely will be TORs. Yelich is a great player and he “could” be a star...not yet. I don’t see giving up a Sale type package (one of the top 5 pitchers in the game), for a guy that is a great player...he just isn’t in the realm to me. ESPECIALLY if Pache takes the step many think he will. It is too much and too early. Gohara turns into what we think and that trade would HAUNT us. We either get a decent deal (which won’t happen), or we pass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Heyman says we are but one of many teams that have asked about Yelich and Realmuto, but that we have not spoken with the Marlins since the Meetings

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Any player the Braves get in the draft will be a step below Acuna, Wright, Albies, or Gohara. Should be on par with anybody else though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    AA keeps everything super quite so I doubt we’d know anything until something actually happened. Nobody heard about the Kemp deal ahead of time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Here are all of Yelich’s fly balls the last 3 years displayed over Suntrust Park:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statc...t_name_592885_

(It always goes to KC for some reason, so you’ll have to switch it to Atlanta)

It looks like he would have gained 3 HRs to LF and 1 to RF. A few would have been wall scrapers that may not have gone out. He hits very few balls down the RF line where the fence is closer in Suntrust.

I doubt Suntrust would have any meaningful impact on his HR totals. All benefits likely come from leaving Marlins Park.
    I've never seen this tool before. Really cool, thanks for sharing.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Heyman says we are but one of many teams that have asked about Yelich and Realmuto, but that we have not spoken with the Marlins since the Meetings
    The timeline of events seems obvious. We were wanting Yelich and wanted to add bad contracts to lessen the prospect package. That never materialized and the Fish were able to trade Stanton and Ozuna to get under budget. Braves switched gears and moved Kemp and added bad contracts for 2018 to clear out 2019 salary.

I'd say a trade for Yelich at this time is highly unlikely unless it involves a 3rd team because I doubt the Braves want to give up the prospects needed in a Yelich trade straight up.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-06-2018), nsacpi (01-06-2018)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Is anyone else concerned that Yelich could be a younger version of Markakis? Their stats at the same age are very comparable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Is anyone else concerned that Yelich could be a younger version of Markakis? Their stats at the same age are very comparable.
    No... Yelich is much more athletic with many more tools

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Not really. Yelich has a pretty good track record of being this type of hitter (4.5 years) while Markakis at this age had two years propping up his career totals that he never managed to reach again in a full year. Yelich is also a much much better base runner which adds to his offensive value. And at this age for Nick his defensive had already dropped off to levels that would tank his value and that obviously hasn't happened to Yelich. All data points to him being a poor defensive CF but a plus defender in LF which is where he would play here.

Anything can happen to any player at any time. Things happen and players can get better for apparently no reason and players can seemingly lose it anytime. But Yelich is 26 and entering the prime of his career. I'd be shocked if he just fell off the cliff over the next 5 years.

This is the type of trade the Braves should be making to be competitive as long as it doesn't totally clear out the farm. Use their prospect capital to leverage it into good players not making much money since they won't have a large payroll. The big question is whether now is the time to cash the prospects in when the Braves don't seem to be competitive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’ve been a huge fan of trading for Yelich but I know it’s gonna sting the farm system pretty good. So in the best interest of the team I think it would probably be best to wait one more season when we know what we have in our prospects and current MLB team. This time next offseason we should know just about everything we need to before we make the moves it’s gonna take to make these big trades and spend big money.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-06-2018), jpx7 (01-06-2018), thewupk (01-06-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I’ve been a huge fan of trading for Yelich but I know it’s gonna sting the farm system pretty good. So in the best interest of the team I think it would probably be best to wait one more season when we know what we have in our prospects and current MLB team. This time next offseason we should know just about everything we need to before we make the moves it’s gonna take to make these big trades and spend big money.
    I would agree. And while it may not be Yelich next year there is usually going to be a Yelich type player (good, cheap, and extended) that you can get for various prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Again I say the best way to get Yelich without giving up much of our own prospect capital is to trade Teheran for prospects and flip said prospects to the Marlins while adding a couple of our own guys like Allard, Anderson, Riley, or Pache.

The only problem I see with this idea is the starting pitching market hasn't really been set yet. All the top guys are still available. If we can wait it out a couple more weeks and Yelich doesn't get traded, I like the chances of flipping JT to a desperate team that lost out on the top options.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Again I say the best way to get Yelich without giving up much of our own prospect capital is to trade Teheran for prospects and flip said prospects to the Marlins while adding a couple of our own guys like Allard, Anderson, Riley, or Pache.

The only problem I see with this idea is the starting pitching market hasn't really been set yet. All the top guys are still available. If we can wait it out a couple more weeks and Yelich doesn't get traded, I like the chances of flipping JT to a desperate team that lost out on the top options.
    I don't think anyone you're getting for Teheran's full contract is going to move the needle in a Yelich trade.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I don't think anyone you're getting for Teheran's full contract is going to move the needle in a Yelich trade.
    I disagree. He still holds a good bit of value. Enough to get a FV 50 guy, imo.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I disagree. He still holds a good bit of value. Enough to get a FV 50 guy, imo.
    You are absolutely correct. If a team like the Brewers misses out on Arrieta/Darvish/Cobb/Lynn, they could absolutely give up a FV 50/55 OF prospect that would be worth ~$30M.

If AA makes sure the Marlins like the guy before they acquire him, that prospect could take a huge chunk out of Yelich’s acquisition cost.

The Braves could get Yelich/Prado by:

- Salary dump Markakis
    - Flip Julio for a position prospect
    - send that prospect plus a FV 55 pitcher plus Riley plus filler to Miami.

That’s a lot of moving parts, and not likely to happen, but there are plausible paths to get Yelich to Atlanta.