Page 27 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the League: 2017 offseason edition / 2018 Season

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It is certainly odd to see the Braves pivot from wanting a stopgap to wanting a 3 year guy on a backloaded deal.
    I'm just not sure what/who he is talking about here.

who are you spending money on in this market that you would be happy about back loading for 2020. An OF?

I don't follow where he's going with that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I'm just not sure what/who he is talking about here.

who are you spending money on in this market that you would be happy about back loading for 2020. An OF?

I don't follow where he's going with that.
    Your guess is as good as mine, but if Cain’s price drops to 3/45 or similar, wouldn’t a deal for 5, 20 and 20 make some sense? If the goal is to improve the defense, the Braves couldn’t do much better than that.

I doubt the Braves will be giving up a draft pick, and I doubt anyone without a pick attached would be worth bothering with a 3 year backloaded deal.

It was an odd comment by AA. The main thing I took from it was that they don’t have any money to spend, but he may have something up his sleeve none of us has even considered.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Your guess is as good as mine, but if Cain’s price drops to 3/45 or similar, wouldn’t a deal for 5, 20 and 20 make some sense? If the goal is to improve the defense, the Braves couldn’t do much better than that.

I doubt the Braves will be giving up a draft pick, and I doubt anyone without a pick attached would be worth bothering with a 3 year backloaded deal.

It was an odd comment by AA. The main thing I took from it was that they don’t have any money to spend, but he may have something up his sleeve none of us has even considered.
    Cain on a three year deal wouldn't be bad. Anything more than three years will not be good.

If your willing to spend 45 on Cain. I wonder if the Cubs would trade Heyward for Tehran. With the Cubs paying half of Heywards salary. The Cubs need pitching and they need to clear space to sign Harper. The Braves would have Heyward for somewhere around 6//65. I know Heyward has an opt out but based on the last two years I think it's a very small chance he opts out.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    Cain on a three year deal wouldn't be bad. Anything more than three years will not be good.

If your willing to spend 45 on Cain. I wonder if the Cubs would trade Heyward for Tehran. With the Cubs paying half of Heywards salary. The Cubs need pitching and they need to clear space to sign Harper. The Braves would have Heyward for somewhere around 6//65. I know Heyward has an opt out but based on the last two years I think it's a very small chance he opts out.
    Pfft.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    A few things going on in here.

The Granderson signing sucks for us! It takes Toronto out of the equation as a possible trade partner and shows we'd have to eat half of Markakis contract to trade him and not the 20-25% I was thinking.

I think the Pirates have actually done well for themselves. Cole has been trending in the wrong direction the last 2 years in the place where pitchers flourish, and Cutch is bound for a bottomed out season. I could see Crick and Feliz excelling in the pen this year with Rivero and Musgrove could be a good cheap option for the rotation with some upside still. Moran holds down the 3B job the next 3-4 years and Reynolds could be a solid regular as early as next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    A few things going on in here.

The Granderson signing sucks for us! It takes Toronto out of the equation as a possible trade partner and shows we'd have to eat half of Markakis contract to trade him and not the 20-25% I was thinking.

I think the Pirates have actually done well for themselves. Cole has been trending in the wrong direction the last 2 years in the place where pitchers flourish, and Cutch is bound for a bottomed out season. I could see Crick and Feliz excelling in the pen this year with Rivero and Musgrove could be a good cheap option for the rotation with some upside still. Moran holds down the 3B job the next 3-4 years and Reynolds could be a solid regular as early as next year.
    Agreed. I think the Pirates have done fine. Not great, but fine. People don't realize that when you get to your last year or two ahead of free agency, not much surplus value is going to be left. We also saw that with the Ozuna trade.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Chico (01-16-2018), jpx7 (01-16-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Agreed. I think the Pirates have done fine. Not great, but fine. People don't realize that when you get to your last year or two ahead of free agency, not much surplus value is going to be left. We also saw that with the Ozuna trade.
    IMO this is what the Braves should focus on next year. Target the next Pirates and Marlins who have good players with 2 years of control left and get them for next to nothing prospect wise.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-16-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    IMO this is what the Braves should focus on next year. Target the next Pirates and Marlins who have good players with 2 years of control left and get them for next to nothing prospect wise.
    An example is Eugenio Suarez who will have 2 years of control left. The Reds are a bit further away from their window than we are and would presumably be open to this kind of deal.

If the Giants decide to cut payroll after 2018, Samardzija is a candidate on the pitching side. He will have 2 years left on his deal.

Joc Pederson will have 2 years of control left.

The plan writes itself.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-16-2018 at 11:20 AM.

"I am your retribution."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-16-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    An example is Eugenio Suarez who will have 2 years of control left. The Reds are a bit further away from their window than we are and would presumably be open to this kind of deal.

If the Giants decide to cut payroll after 2018, Samardzija is a candidate on the pitching side. He will have 2 years left on his deal.

Joc Pederson will have 2 years of control left.

The plan writes itself.
    Shark has a no trade clause

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Shark has a no trade clause
    partial...and there are other fish

"I am your retribution."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    partial...and there are other fish
    I see what you did there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    I see what you did there
    I appreciate you teeing it up for me

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    hasn't amounted to much until the last two seasons...i see a parallel with Flowers...a late bloomer where a significant part of the improvement came via a drop in the strikeout rate...to me that suggests a good chance the improvement can be sustained a few more years

has reverse career platoon splits...another similarity he has with flowers...i like guys who can give you some immunity against the trend toward more aggressively using the pen to get a favorable matchup...
    I was just baitin ya. You mention him about once per page. You fell for it you ol sailor you!
    Ivermectin Man

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (01-16-2018)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Must've been at least a few experts here who knew what it would take to get McCutcheon.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Must've been at least a few experts here who knew what it would take to get McCutcheon.
    It's not really hard to predict once you realize most GM's play the surplus value game.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It's not really hard to predict once you realize most GM's play the surplus value game.
    Let's play the game and see...

Cutch is projected to produce 2.8 fWAR and cost the Giants $12M. He represents ~$16M in surplus value.

According to this recent FG article: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-...value-players/

Reynolds is a FV 45 position player worth $11M, and Crick is a FV 40 pitcher worth something on the order of $5M-$10M.

Add those up, and the Giants gave the Pirates $16M-$21M for Cutch. Easily within the error bars of the numbers involved.

Seems like the surplus value calculation lines up yet again, but I would chalk this up as a win for the Pirates. They likely had to win the trade to justify sending out the former face of the franchise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Let's play the game and see...

Cutch is projected to produce 2.8 fWAR and cost the Giants $12M. He represents ~$16M in surplus value.

According to this recent FG article: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-...value-players/

Reynolds is a FV 45 position player worth $11M, and Crick is a FV 40 pitcher worth something on the order of $5M-$10M.

Add those up, and the Giants gave the Pirates $16M-$21M for Cutch. Easily within the error bars of the numbers involved.

Seems like the surplus value calculation lines up yet again, but I would chalk this up as a win for the Pirates. They likely had to win the trade to justify sending out the former face of the franchise.
    Where do you get FV 45 and FV 40?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Where do you get FV 45 and FV 40?
    From the article I linked that broke down the recent Pirates' trades. I assume he got his values from EL's most recent ratings.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    It really is disappointing. I expected better from Longenhagen.

I imagine this means we will be stuck reading some hack job from Kiley.
    They are doing a joint chat, and I couldn't resist...

"I know a chick named Kiley. She's also a lightweight who threw up in a van during a company outing."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Blue Jays get Girchik (sp?) from Cardinals