Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sniffing around on Yelich, Realmuto

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    As others have said, it's just too early for a blockbuster (unless AA can get one completely on HIS terms) IMO. If Acuna is Yelich with better speed and defense and Gohara, Wright, Soroka, and Allard come even close to living up to their billing you're liable to regret trading a single one of them - and that's even if Allard's velocity doesn't rebound.

Offer Milwaukee their choice of Teheran or Folty for Domingo Santana rather than pay the price for Yelich. Offer the Yankees Newcomb for Andujar if they plan on signing Machado - he could step in and replace Sabathia in 2019.

Sure some things will have to go right, but there's already a non-zero chance that Gohara, Wright, Soroka, and Allard may all deserve 2019 rotation spots as it stands now - use the other pieces to fill the holes. If you could make those types of trades, you'd still have 2 of Julio/Folty/Fried to go with that foursome, and plenty of money to add a veteran to the mix if need be.

Why would they do Santana for folty? That deal would be done

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Why would they do Santana for folty? That deal would be done
    No clue, but I'd offer them their choice of he or Julio personally.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    No clue
    Understatement of the year so far.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Assuming you can even trade Teheran, if you're relying on Folty and unproven pitchers, the results would be maddening. JT is no ace but he is what he is:dependable and 180 innings a year guaranteed.
    Last edited by Deester11; 01-20-2018 at 09:02 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Assuming you can even trade Teheran, if you're relying on Folty and unproven pitchers, the results would be maddening. JT is no ace but he is what he is:dependable and 180 innings a year guaranteed.
    What difference does that make? The consensus around here is that AA has written off 2018 anyway.

You use the lesser pieces to get someone like Santana and Andujar, and use this season to get everybody's feet wet. The improved offense keeps you in some games. McCarthy serves as your veteran "glue-guy" as long as he's healthy. Folty's now had 65 big league starts - if you can't start to count on him now, you never will. If you feel like you need another veteran to go with the two of them and Gohara, you're already paying Kazmir. If you're not counting on him, go get Chris Tillman/Jeremy Hellickson or bring back Garcia to make 15 starts until you call Soroka and/or Allard up after the break.

Andujar starts the season at 3B, and you've got Camargo as your fallback if needed. Acuna comes up as soon as possible once you've gained the extra year of control so he gets enough ABs this year to get acclimated and he hits the ground running in 2019. Andujar will have had that much time as well. Gohara will have had over 30 starts at this level, and Soroka and Allard will have had 10 or so - so the butterflies will be taken care of. You could even see Wright in the second half.

If you're writing 2018 off, write it off - but use it to get the pieces you want to count on in 2019 ready rather than floundering around for another year. No one believes this team is a potential playoff team WITH one of Julio/Folty and Newcomb, so what difference does it make if they're here?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Evad (01-21-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    What difference does that make? The consensus around here is that AA has written off 2018 anyway.

You use the lesser pieces to get someone like Santana and Andujar, and use this season to get everybody's feet wet. The improved offense keeps you in some games. McCarthy serves as your veteran "glue-guy" as long as he's healthy. Folty's now had 65 big league starts - if you can't start to count on him now, you never will. If you feel like you need another veteran to go with the two of them and Gohara, you're already paying Kazmir. If you're not counting on him, go get Chris Tillman/Jeremy Hellickson or bring back Garcia to make 15 starts until you call Soroka and/or Allard up after the break.

Andujar starts the season at 3B, and you've got Camargo as your fallback if needed. Acuna comes up as soon as possible once you've gained the extra year of control so he gets enough ABs this year to get acclimated and he hits the ground running in 2019. Andujar will have had that much time as well. Gohara will have had over 30 starts at this level, and Soroka and Allard will have had 10 or so - so the butterflies will be taken care of. You could even see Wright in the second half.

If you're writing 2018 off, write it off - but use it to get the pieces you want to count on in 2019 ready rather than floundering around for another year. No one believes this team is a potential playoff team WITH one of Julio/Folty and Newcomb, so what difference does it make if they're here?
    Consensus? I doubt it. Most of the intelligent posters don’t think it’s just easy to trade J.T. then spend money we don’t have on another veteran pitcher to do the same thing or less than Teheran. Maybe it’s just me but that’s not smart. Good luck thinking lesser pieces get you Santana/Andujar.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Consensus? I doubt it. Most of the intelligent posters don’t think it’s just easy to trade J.T. then spend money we don’t have on another veteran pitcher to do the same thing or less than Teheran. Maybe it’s just me but that’s not smart. Good luck thinking lesser pieces get you Santana/Andujar.
    You are right that it would not make sense to trade Teheran just to sign another journeyman rotation piece.

It is likely that if they trade Teheran they will either fill the spot from within or trade for a better starter. Most likely, just fill it from within.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2018), nsacpi (01-21-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    You need to realize you are arguing with someone who thought Sale could be had for a package centered around Jenkins, and Odorizzi could be had for Matt Adams. Clv has consistently shown how clueless he is with player valuation.

You’re right about the cost to acquire Andujar or Santana...it isn’t happening with lesser pieces.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    You were the one pointing out that we couldn't do without Julio's 180 innings with all the young Pitchers around. If you've written 2018 off, those innings mean nothing - what difference does it make if they come from Teheran or a mix of Fried/Sims/Soroka/Allard or any of the also-rans I mentioned?

Keeping Julio might keep you in a few more games in 2018 (might, that is, if they're away from SunTrust) than giving the young arms a chance to get their feet wet. Those few games just give you a lower draft pick - assuming the pen doesn't blow them.

I've always been one of Julio's biggest fans, but if trading him gets you 4+ years of control of a 30 HR bat that plays plus defense on a corner, I make that trade every day of the week and twice on Sundays with all the pitching we have that's so close to possibly making an impact. I get your point if he were someone like Archer, but he's just not that guy. If Teheran gets me Santana or Frazier, I'd have made that trade last week.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-21-2018 at 07:36 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You need to realize you are arguing with someone who thought Sale could be had for a package centered around Jenkins, and Odorizzi could be had for Matt Adams. Clv has consistently shown how clueless he is with player valuation.

You’re right about the cost to acquire Andujar or Santana...it isn’t happening with lesser pieces.
    One of the few times I'd ever respond to you...

weren't you the one telling me what an "idiot" I was for proposing a Teheran for Santana deal a while back because you'd already ordained how much sense that would make???

For that matter, haven't you been proposing exactly that in the other thread???
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-21-2018 at 07:45 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    One of the few times I'd ever respond to you...

weren't you the one telling me what an "idiot" I was for proposing a Teheran for Santana deal a while back because you'd already ordained how much sense that would make???

For that matter, haven't you been proposing exactly that in the other thread???
    Your stupidity never ceases to amaze. Here are the exact comments about Teheran and Santana:

I'm in the camp that believes Julio bounces back (at least to a certain extent), but if Milwaukee doesn't decide to spend big on one of the four big free-agent arms and they would value Teheran as a 2 win Pitcher isn't this the time to deal him rather than taking the chance he has another bad season?

If they're seriously in on Cain and are willing to move a young OF, does Julio net you Santana and allow them to create a spot for Brinson in RF?

I obviously don't consult the be-all, end-all charts that some do, but given their wealth of OFs that type of deal from a traditional baseball standpoint would make lots of sense to us old-timers.
    To which I responded:

Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    We've been saying for months now that the Brewers make sense as a trade partner due to their extra OFers.

We've been saying for weeks now that Teheran to the Brewers for a young OFer makes sense if they miss out on the top 4 FAs.

Harry has probably listed a dozen trades centered around Teheran to the Brewers for an OFer.

I'm sure you think you came up with this idea though...
    Nowhere did I say a trade with the Brewers was a bad idea. In fact, I said exactly the opposite...we have been discussing the trades for Brewer OFers for weeks/months.

Unsurprisingly you have no idea what you’re talking about...again.

And no, the Braves aren’t getting a player like Andujar for “lesser parts”, just like they weren’t getting Odorizzi for MAdams.

Now get some sleep before the open house at the trailer park tomorrow. You need your sleep old man...you’re not only clueless...you’re also getting senile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    he was a 3 WAR guy. He has 4 more years of control. I have to assume he's going to cost at least 50% of Yelich. Probably 75% of him at least. 3 WAR guy with power.

The Brewers guy you might get for leftovers is maybe Phillips. If you see him as a potential elite defender in LF or RF and you think he'll make enough contact. Not a star but maybe a platoon partner and a guy who can back up CF if needed. Maybe you pair him with Tucker.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Brewers have made an offer for Yelich. No word on who they offered. But apparently the Fish are still discussing with a few teams
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    The Brewers actually make sense as a team that would be trying to put the finishing touches on a contending roster. And Yelich would be a great fit for their payroll.

I'm sure that the Marlins are asking for Brinson and i think I'd probably do that in their position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The Brewers actually make sense as a team that would be trying to put the finishing touches on a contending roster. And Yelich would be a great fit for their payroll.

I'm sure that the Marlins are asking for Brinson and i think I'd probably do that in their position.
    How does Brinson compare to acuna rating wise?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Brinson is a very good ball player and will probably be a multiple All-Star game type player but Acuna has HOF "potential"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I guarantee that AA is keeping in touch just in case the price comes down bc Acuna isn’t happening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Brinson is 24. He’s got to be a similar rank to wright.

I think braves can do the better package. But brewers can do three top 50 guys if they wNt in the 2b brinson and a pitcher.

If the brewers go in maybe we can get some excess guys for pitching

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    The Brewers need pitching. If they were gonna trade 3 top 50 guys then Archer should be their target.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    The Brewers need pitching. If they were gonna trade 3 top 50 guys then Archer should be their target.
    I'm guessing they'll land Darvish or Arietta and simply hope to grab Yelich in the process.

The NL Central is stacked, but they'd have a legit roster if they could add those two.

Of course, so would Atlanta... ;) #WishfulThinking #LosingIsGettingOldGuys #ProbablyTooQuickToPullTheTrigger