Page 30 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the League: 2017 offseason edition / 2018 Season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Definitely plausible, but Santana may not be good enough defensively to pique AA’s interests. I agree that Braun is extremely unlikely.

I wouldn’t be shocked at all to see some sort of pitching for an OFer trade going down with the Brewers though. It’s probably one of the more likely scenarios we are still discussing.
    I don't like his defense in RF, but he might be okay in LF when factoring in his bat. They clearly want a starter and seem really interested in making room to bring back Cain too. Remember this tweet back in Dec?:

@jcrasnick
    Follow Follow @jcrasnick
    More
    The #Brewers are listening on Domingo Santana, but they don't appear to be getting much traction in trade talks. Santana is 25. He hit 30 HRs this year and made $542,000, and they're going to need an affordable impact starter who can eat innings in return. Not easy finding fits.
    9:30 AM - 11 Dec 2017

I could certainly see a match with Braves here depending on the ask from the Brewers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I don't like his defense in RF, but he might be okay in LF when factoring in his bat. They clearly want a starter and seem really interested in making room to bring back Cain too. Remember this tweet back in Dec?:

@jcrasnick
    Follow Follow @jcrasnick
    More
    The #Brewers are listening on Domingo Santana, but they don't appear to be getting much traction in trade talks. Santana is 25. He hit 30 HRs this year and made $542,000, and they're going to need an affordable impact starter who can eat innings in return. Not easy finding fits.
    9:30 AM - 11 Dec 2017

I could certainly see a match with Braves here depending on the ask from the Brewers.
    Agreed.

On the Brewers board there is a poster who supposedly has inside info and is trusted because he called the Lucroy to Cleveland trade. He says the Brewers are making a huge trade with an AL team, but doesn’t have any more specifics.

Posters are speculating that confirms a tweet claiming the Brewers are going to get Ellsbury and Albert Abreu from the Yankees.

Abreu certainly won’t help their rotation in 2018, but Ellsbury will crowd up their OF even more, which would make them even more likely to trade one for pitching.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I would go a different rout:

Teheran for Phillips, Lutz and Monte Harrison - the Brewers #8, 12 and 14 prospects.

I think Phillips has a chance by himself to be a better player long term than Santana, at least as an OF. Lutz is Waters+ and Harrison is an athletic wild card.
    That's not a quantity trade IMO but an upside trade.

If the Braves do that then they get another $8M to spend on this currently depressed FA market (2018) as the return would not required much more than the ML minimum for Phillips.

I would move Folty too. Maybe Folty & Markakis and $5M to Baltimore for Austin Hays & Hunter Harvey.

And replace them with the best value from the current deflated market between guys like Lynn or Cobb (~4 years $40M) - You could possibly even sign both Cobb and Lynn at 4/40 contracts since you are moving Teheran (8), Folty (3.75) and Neck (6). Then sign a #5 for very little money like a Nolasco, Tillman or Liriano to hold the fort until the youngsters are ready. You have to be prepared to gamble that guys like Lynn and/or Cobb's market won't develop like they want.

Let's say the rotation to start the season would be: Lynn, McCarthy, Newk, Sims/Kaz, Liriano with Gohara, Fried, Allard, Soroka and Blair/Wisler at AAA all ready to come up hopefully at some point in the year.

And, under the scenarios outlined above, you pick up Phillips, Lutz, Harrison, Hays and Harvey AND shed enough payroll to allow you to bring in value through the deflated FA market should things go right. You could start the year with an OF of Phillips, Inciarte and Hays with Acuna waiting in the wings.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    More rampant speculation that Santana would then be going to the Indians for Salazar. One trade will lead to a string of trades already agreed upon.

While Salazar is more talented than Teheran, he is far less durable, so they likely have fairly similar value overall.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I would go a different rout:

Teheran for Phillips, Lutz and Monte Harrison - the Brewers #8, 12 and 14 prospects.

I think Phillips has a chance by himself to be a better player long term than Santana, at least as an OF. Lutz is Waters+ and Harrison is an athletic wild card.
    That's not a quantity trade IMO but an upside trade.

If the Braves do that then they get another $8M to spend on this currently depressed FA market (2018) as the return would not required much more than the ML minimum for Phillips.

I would move Folty too. Maybe Folty & Markakis and $5M to Baltimore for Austin Hays & Hunter Harvey.

And replace them with the best value from the current deflated market between guys like Lynn or Cobb (~4 years $40M) - You could possibly even sign both Cobb and Lynn at 4/40 contracts since you are moving Teheran (8), Folty (3.75) and Neck (6). Then sign a #5 for very little money like a Nolasco, Tillman or Liriano to hold the fort until the youngsters are ready. You have to be prepared to gamble that guys like Lynn and/or Cobb's market won't develop like they want.

Let's say the rotation to start the season would be: Lynn, McCarthy, Newk, Sims/Kaz, Liriano with Gohara, Fried, Allard, Soroka and Blair/Wisler at AAA all ready to come up hopefully at some point in the year.

And, under the scenarios outlined above, you pick up Phillips, Lutz, Harrison, Hays and Harvey AND shed enough payroll to allow you to bring in value through the deflated FA market should things go right. You could start the year with an OF of Phillips, Inciarte and Hays with Acuna waiting in the wings.
    Brewers aren’t trading Phillips. He is their Frenchy. Everything I’ve read about the Brewers has him penciled in RF for the next 5 years.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-22-2018 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Wow, that is crazy cheap. He was definitely a guy I wanted to target, but guessing he had a strong preference for a place where he could play CF.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    D-Backs have signed Kris Medlen and Antonio Bastardo
    Get off my lawn!

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Wow, that is crazy cheap. He was definitely a guy I wanted to target, but guessing he had a strong preference for a place where he could play CF.

Markakis untradeable

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Markakis untradeable
    Yeah the market for meh OFers has crashed. He would get ~5 million right now.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah the market for meh OFers has crashed. He would get ~5 million right now.
    Not real sure when there was a real chance we could've gotten anything for him (of value other than payroll savings) without eating half the contract to begin with.

Given the fact you want to game Acuna's clock, you're probably better off keeping him anyway - any return would be so minimal that the money's better off using him as the excuse to keep Ronald in Gwinnett for as long as you want. If they get off to a bad start early on, you're "justified" in leaving him down there until June.

If it was Adams/Tucker/Peterson in his way on the other hand...

FWIW, this ought to help put numbers on Maybin - if we could get him for 2 years/$8-$10 million, I'd be all over it..
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-23-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    It seems like teams are tired of waiting for the chips to fall and are signing their filler players. The only FA left in a week will be the top 10 lol.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    It seems like teams are tired of waiting for the chips to fall and are signing their filler players. The only FA left in a week will be the top 10 lol.
    Spring Training starts in a couple weeks, and a bunch of guys are still out there lol.

Todd Frazier, Moose, Cain, Hosmer, JDM, Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb, Darvish, Holland.

I mean, somethings that gotta give here. I know some are attached to draft pick compensation but never seen the baseball market this dry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Markakis untradeable
    No doubt. Markakis = untouchable. GOAT status.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    His landsmann would never trade him.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (01-24-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Kinda surprised Profar hasn’t been moved so far. I think he’d be a pretty good target for us.
    Ivermectin Man

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Chico (01-24-2018), Evad (01-24-2018)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Spring Training starts in a couple weeks, and a bunch of guys are still out there lol.

Todd Frazier, Moose, Cain, Hosmer, JDM, Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb, Darvish, Holland.

I mean, somethings that gotta give here. I know some are attached to draft pick compensation but never seen the baseball market this dry.
    Wonder if teams are finally deciding that some of those players aren't worth the $ they are asking for, while others aren't worth the years that are being asked for? Of course draft picks have something to do with it as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    We probably couldn't even trade him for the potential for momentum at this point.
    thank you weso1!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (01-24-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Kinda surprised Profar hasn’t been moved so far. I think he’d be a pretty good target for us.
    Yes Please

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    We probably couldn't even trade him for the potential for momentum at this point.
    Nice political reference.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    If some team gets Cain for 3/50 or less they will have gotten the bargain of the offseason.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/some...-lorenzo-cain/

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-24-2018)