Thread: John Gant

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

John Gant

I wish the organization would give him the chance to be a 5th starter instead of guys like Casey Kelly; although I do understand trying to build up Kelly's value.

Gant is a big bodied guy, he's proven durable in the minors 400+ innings, he doesn't walk gaggles of people and pitched really well at AAA as a STARTER. Kid has 419 punch outs in 433.1 innings.

I do understand that our bullpen has needed help this year and the occasional disaster start from Folty/Perez/Blair has created some issues, but I don't like seeing this kid yo-yo around when I think he has a future in a MLB rotation. However, it seems like the team might not be quite as high on him as I am.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-23-2016), JohnAdcox (05-25-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Gant has pitched well in AAA this year. And AA last year after the trade. I would like to see him get a run of games in the major league rotation.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-23-2016), JohnAdcox (05-25-2016), jpx7 (05-24-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    The question with Gant is whether he has a starter's arsenal. He's got one definite plus pitch with his Vulcan splitter/changeup. The big question is whether the fastball and curve are good enough to give him 3 major league pitches. I personally think he'll end up as a set up man in the majors. I think the Braves might be of a similar mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The question with Gant is whether he has a starter's arsenal. He's got one definite plus pitch with his Vulcan splitter/changeup. The big question is whether the fastball and curve are good enough to give him 3 major league pitches. I personally think he'll end up as a set up man in the majors. I think the Braves might be of a similar mind.
    Could well be the case that he ends up a reliever. But I think as of now he is the one who has done the most to earn a run of games in the major league rotation. And there is an opening at the moment.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-23-2016), jpx7 (05-24-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    It does seem odd that they are rotating the fifth starter position on an almost week-by-week basis. It would be nice to see a guy get three or four starts before they moved to the next guy. I get that injuries and/or ineffectiveness have played a role in the club's decisions, but I don't think it serves anyone's purpose to have guys on a yo-yo between Gwinnett and Atlanta on a sporadic basis. Gant and Kelly should both get extended auditions. My guess is Blair will be back at some point as well.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (05-23-2016), Preacher (05-23-2016)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Who is John Gant?

(This season's a perfect one to answer that.)
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-25-2016), Julio3000 (05-24-2016), Preacher (05-23-2016), yeezus (05-23-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Who is John Gant?

(This season's a perfect one to answer that.)
    yup.
    he's proven to be a good minor league starter, we know that. let him try and figure it out, at length, in the big leagues.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    yup.
    he's proven to be a good minor league starter, we know that. let him try and figure it out, at length, in the big leagues.

the Organization's boner to win games slaps that idea right in the face...

they did it with CB last year, when he only got 4 games that he started after starting the previous day. and we are doing it with Gant/Mallex/Adonis/Jace this year.

I understand wanting to win games.. but good lord, just play your freaking future and stop all this lineup configuration bull****... you are not going to flip Frenchy or any of the other crap we signed this off season for much more than a tub of bubble gum and an autographed playing card of Fredi G.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    the Organization's boner to win games slaps that idea right in the face...

they did it with CB last year, when he only got 4 games that he started after starting the previous day. and we are doing it with Gant/Mallex/Adonis/Jace this year.

I understand wanting to win games.. but good lord, just play your freaking future and stop all this lineup configuration bull****... you are not going to flip Frenchy or any of the other crap we signed this off season for much more than a tub of bubble gum and an autographed playing card of Fredi G.
    How dare you question me, of all people?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    We need to decide on the guys we think have a chance to be long-term guys in our rotation and stick with them. I like the idea of giving Gant a chance, but regardless of who it is, we can't keep jerking guys in and out of the rotation once they struggle for a couple starts in a row.

Wisler is here to stay, Folty needs to be, and once Blair comes back up, he needs to be in Atlanta to stay as well. I would say the next guys in that line are Newcomb and Sims.

While those guys are not ready, we need to be giving others a chance, but it's tough to find spots. I would personally take Perez out and let Kelly and Gant both start games for a while.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    6 IP, 7 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 9 SO

Let the man keep starting. Honestly, even if nothing more than to build his value for an upcoming trade. 95 pitches, 71 strikes.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    We need to decide on the guys we think have a chance to be long-term guys in our rotation and stick with them. I like the idea of giving Gant a chance, but regardless of who it is, we can't keep jerking guys in and out of the rotation once they struggle for a couple starts in a row.

Wisler is here to stay, Folty needs to be, and once Blair comes back up, he needs to be in Atlanta to stay as well. I would say the next guys in that line are Newcomb and Sims.

While those guys are not ready, we need to be giving others a chance, but it's tough to find spots. I would personally take Perez out and let Kelly and Gant both start games for a while.
    I would prefer that Newcomb and Sims get their walk rates under six before we start penciling them into the big league rotation.

Also, taking your "don't jerk 'em around" policy as a good idea, how's about we leave Perez alone for a while, hmm?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-25-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I would prefer that Newcomb and Sims get their walk rates under six before we start penciling them into the big league rotation.

Also, taking your "don't jerk 'em around" policy as a good idea, how's about we leave Perez alone for a while, hmm?
    I'm not saying we should pencil them in, just saying that they should be the next guys we view as long-term answers if they put it together.

I don't see Perez as any kind of long-term answer, so I don't care that much about jerking him around, to be honest. He's fine for what he is, but he doesn't have a future as an important piece on a good team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    I'm not saying we should pencil them in, just saying that they should be the next guys we view as long-term answers if they put it together.

I don't see Perez as any kind of long-term answer, so I don't care that much about jerking him around, to be honest. He's fine for what he is, but he doesn't have a future as an important piece on a good team.
    Maybe not a long term answer, but he's exactly the type of pitcher we should have in the rotation right now. We don't need to bring up Jenkins, Blair, Newcomb, etc. until they are 100% ready and Perez has flashed some potential to be a good swing man. If he can establish himself, then that's a really nice piece to have while he's still cheap.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Maybe not a long term answer, but he's exactly the type of pitcher we should have in the rotation right now. We don't need to bring up Jenkins, Blair, Newcomb, etc. until they are 100% ready and Perez has flashed some potential to be a good swing man. If he can establish himself, then that's a really nice piece to have while he's still cheap.
    I would just rather have Teheran/Wisler/Folty/Gant/Kelly right now, personally. I'm not upset Perez is in the rotation, just would prefer somebody else.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I would just rather have Teheran/Wisler/Folty/Gant/Kelly right now, personally. I'm not upset Perez is in the rotation, just would prefer somebody else.
    Found the closet cacomorphobic.
    Forever Fredi

23. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

smootness (05-25-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    How dare you question me, of all people?
    Request emoticon. The one with him hunkered down in the corner of the dugout making sure no one stabs him.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-26-2016), jpx7 (05-25-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    OK. I think Perez is as much a prospect as Gant and Kelly, except he's had a little success. There's nothing special about those guys other than we haven't tried them yet.

It feels like the backup quarterback syndrome.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    OK. I think Perez is as much a prospect as Gant and Kelly, except he's had a little success. There's nothing special about those guys other than we haven't tried them yet.

It feels like the backup quarterback syndrome.
    Probably. Ultimately I don't care much, but I do see Gant as a potential #5 starter type, and I don't view Perez as anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Probably. Ultimately I don't care much, but I do see Gant as a potential #5 starter type, and I don't view Perez as anything.
    I know wins aren't a good stat while looking at pitchers, but Perez is 9-7 last and this year. That's pretty amazing considering how terrible the braves have been. His k rate isn't great, but he's cut his walks down. Batters were hitting .291 last year vs him. This year, they're hitting .218. His whip is down from 1.55 last year to 1.13 this year. I have my doubts Perez can keep it up, but why in the world would you not give him a chance to?

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-26-2016), mfree80 (05-26-2016), nsacpi (05-26-2016)