Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1868

Thread: - STARTS TODAY AT 7PM - 2016 June Amateur Draft Discussion

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    I agree, and hopefully one of the two will be there at #3. I doubt we will end up too pissed about that pick, I am more interested on our 40/44 double up. If we land Groome at 3, we could nab two high ceiling bats at those two spots and be in good shape. If we land Lewis at 3, then a prep arm and a bat come into play.... IMO , it all hinges on #3. (of course, if Groome and Lewis to the Phils and Reds, it really only leaves Pint or Puk as I doubt the Braves take a chance on Moniak or Rutheford there, which once again leaves bats to be the object at 40/44)
    Groome at #3 (which I'm not against) would likely soak up the whole slot value assigned for that pick, which I think would greatly limit creativity at #40 and #44. That means to go with an above slot signing at #40 and #44, you'd have to get your savings later, which is harder to do because the amounts of money assigned to slots diminishes as the draft goes on. You'd have to take guys in the third and fourth rounds who would basically sign for peanuts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    The more I think about it, the more I like the idea behind going with Josh Lowe at 3 and arranging deals with Will Benson and Carter Kieboom at 40 and 44.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I like the idea behind going with Josh Lowe at 3 and arranging deals with Will Benson and Carter Kieboom at 40 and 44.
    I understand the thought process; but honestly I strongly disagree with it.

I don't understand why we need to get so cute; we are picking #3, just grab an elite guy at #3 like Groome and see who falls.

If you want you can still have some flexibility to take one over slot guy at #40 while going way underslot at #44.

I would LOVE Groome or Lewis at #3.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

I don't understand why we need to get so cute; we are picking #3, just grab an elite guy at #3 like Groome and see who falls.

If you want you can still have some flexibility to take one over slot guy at #40 while going way underslot at #44.

I agree. don't under value #3 just to over value #40 and #44. I am still ok with trying to over value #40.. but like you said, try to under slot #3 by just a little and take some from #44 to get another good pick. Time is running out, but I still think the Braves are trying to get another comp pick any way possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

I would agree in a sense. If the Braves feel Groome is an elite guy with the make up they look for, then take him. I think it is possible that they may see Lowe as an elite guy as well though. Honestly, if we are talking about Mickey Moniak being a potential pick at 3, then why not Josh Lowe?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    I would agree in a sense. If the Braves feel Groome is an elite guy with the make up they look for, then take him. I think it is possible that they may see Lowe as an elite guy as well though. Honestly, if we are talking about Mickey Moniak being a potential pick at 3, then why not Josh Lowe?
    I think the idea with Moriak is that he has shot to the head of the high school class in terms of hitting tools. That doesn't mean you take him at #3, but I think that would be the rationale for taking him over Lowe unless you can net big savings with Lowe. It's tricky business because a team doesn't know who is going to be there at #40 and #44. I get the idea of wanting the best "pool" of overall talent with those three picks instead of staying strictly with slot, but it would be a gamble to pass on someone like Groome in the hopes that the guys you covet will be there at #40 and #44.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    If we get Groome we likely have 3 of the top 10 LH prospects in baseball. Now I know the idea is to win major league games, not organizational rankings contests, but that would still be very impressive.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (05-23-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,729 Posts
    I will be dissapointed of we pass on Groome. It's not often you run across a 6'6 lefty with good command and velocity at that age. He is one of the youngest prospects in he draft and he should move quickly through the low minors. Would love to pair him with Allard and Soroka.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    If we get Groome we likely have 3 of the top 10 LH prospects in baseball. Now I know the idea is to win major league games, not organizational rankings contests, but that would still be very impressive.
    That might be 3 of the top 5.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I don't want Lowe at 3. To me, that takes away from the value of having the #3 pick. And what if the Padres or Reds like Benson and just take him before we have the chance to?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I don't want Lowe at 3. To me, that takes away from the value of having the #3 pick. And what if the Padres or Reds like Benson and just take him before we have the chance to?
    Yeah, we've talked this to death but this isn't a year to float guys down. Taking Lowe at 3 would be a disaster.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    it seems about 80% sure one of Lewis or Groome will be there at #3. I can't see the Braves passing on either. The fun question will be what if both are there at #3..

I am sure Groome has more upside, but Lewis fills a huge organizational need. And he also can be used to over slot other picks. But I still think it is hard to pass on a guy like Groome.

after #3, you do your best to get the most out of what you have. Maybe cut a deal to over slot a guy at #40.. have a back up plan in case Reds steal your guy. I don't see the Friars being a scare since they have back to back in the early 20's and their 1st pick is at #8 with only 3.6 million in slot. Just can't see them taking someone much less than 3.6 at #8 just to get good value at #24, then burning the #25 pick.. I can't see the math working out for them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    it seems about 80% sure one of Lewis or Groome will be there at #3. I can't see the Braves passing on either. The fun question will be what if both are there at #3..

I am sure Groome has more upside, but Lewis fills a huge organizational need. And he also can be used to over slot other picks. But I still think it is hard to pass on a guy like Groome.

after #3, you do your best to get the most out of what you have. Maybe cut a deal to over slot a guy at #40.. have a back up plan in case Reds steal your guy. I don't see the Friars being a scare since they have back to back in the early 20's and their 1st pick is at #8 with only 3.6 million in slot. Just can't see them taking someone much less than 3.6 at #8 just to get good value at #24, then burning the #25 pick.. I can't see the math working out for them.
    Groome vs Lewis would be a hard choice. I would have to take Lewis and the flexibility his lower bonus value will give for later rounds. I seriously doubt they will both be available at 3 though.

Absolute ideal draft would be Lewis at 3, and then a couple over slot HS guys at 40 and 44. If the Braves come away with Lewis, Kaboom and a top-25 HS arm that slipped due to sign-ability issues, I would be ecstatic.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Groome vs Lewis would be a hard choice. I would have to take Lewis and the flexibility his lower bonus value will give for later rounds. I seriously doubt they will both be available at 3 though.

Absolute ideal draft would be Lewis at 3, and then a couple over slot HS guys at 40 and 44. If the Braves come away with Lewis, Kaboom and a top-25 HS arm that slipped due to sign-ability issues, I would be ecstatic.

Kaboom is just a good nick name..

I waiver from day to day as who I like at #3.. several mocks say that they both will.. and others that say neither will be there.. so who knows..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Kaboom is just a good nick name..

I waiver from day to day as who I like at #3.. several mocks say that they both will.. and others that say neither will be there.. so who knows..
    As long as it's either of those two, I'm thrilled. We either get the big RH power bat we desperately need, a guy with a huge ceiling....or we stack our minor-league pitching to unbelievable levels.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Our first pick will be either Puk, Groome, Lewis, or Ray. Braves have said a college bat.

Found this site with a lot of mock drafts listed:
    http://dcprosportsreport.com/MLBMocks.htm

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Coach_Chris For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-23-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach_Chris View Post
    Our first pick will be either Puk, Groome, Lewis, or Ray. Braves have said a college bat.

Found this site with a lot of mock drafts listed:
    http://dcprosportsreport.com/MLBMocks.htm
    They've apparently said a lot of things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    They've apparently said a lot of things.
    IMO, actions speak louder than words. If you look at the make up of the scouting department, you see guys like Roy Clark and Brian Bridges running the show. These guys are Bill Wight and Paul Snyder protégés. In last year's draft, they focused on high school talent early and arms. I looked at the drafts under Snyder and Clark to see how they split the picks among pitchers and bats, and it was about 65% towards pitching. Last year, they hit pitching hard.

It is their philosophy though that if a bat and an arm are rated equally, take the arm.

So, with that said, I would definitely say Jason Groome and Riley Pint are likely picks at 3. Kyle Lewis is interesting because he is one of the few college bats you see that still has plenty of upside, and that upside might be what sways them toward taking him. Right now though, if I were a betting man, I'd bet they will go with Groome or Pint. In fact, they were at the game where Groome struck out 14 the other day.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I've heard that Lewis is #1 for us, I've heard we like Groome, I've heard we like Pint more than Groome, I've heard we're looking at Ray, I've heard we're definitely not taking Ray...I have absolutely no idea what we're going to do. Just hope it's Lewis or Groome.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Coach_Chris (05-23-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    The last time the Braves had a pick this high, they took Mike Kelly out of Arizona State. I'm not sure why he flamed out, because that dude was a monster at Arizona State.