Thread: Your Ideal Offseason

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I don't remember anyone but you suggesting we extend Freeman
    I believe he was the only one who wanted to extend Freeman with guaranteed money, and his reasoning was, “to give the Braves more flexibility”.

Just exhibit #2816 of clvderp being wrong

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I misread it as Tarnok/Beck/Ynoa all being included... changed my mind... Mariners would never do that
    Kinda like they'd never trade Paxton for Justus Sheffield and filler???

BeanieAntics asked for "ideal". Ideally Dipoto would bungle a Segura deal as badly as he did the Paxton trade. If not (and just like the Carrasco proposal), there's stil plenty that could be done to sweeten the offer without giving away our top guys.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-22-2018 at 03:58 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Actually yes he's been very good when healthy but I don't expect the stats will get in the way of your opinion
    Seriously???

Freeman 2018 - 3.83 xFIP, 10.37 K/9, 5.72 BB/9, 52.1 GB%
    Freeman Career - 3.91 xFIP, 8.97 K/9, 5.04 BB/9, 52.0 GB%

Biddle 2018/Career - 3.57 xFIP, 9.47 K/9, 4.38 BB/9, 55.6 GB%

Fried 2018 - 3.24 xFIP, 11.76 K/9, 5.35 BB/9, 51.4 GB%
    Fried Career - 3.69 xFIP, 9.96 K/9, 4.83 BB/9, 58.6 GB%

Which stat makes Freeman better - not $900,000 better, just better? Or do those stats not matter either?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Seriously???

Freeman 2018 - 3.83 xFIP, 10.37 K/9, 5.72 BB/9, 52.1 GB%
    Freeman Career - 3.91 xFIP, 8.97 K/9, 5.04 BB/9, 52.0 GB%

Biddle 2018/Career - 3.57 xFIP, 9.47 K/9, 4.38 BB/9, 55.6 GB%

Fried 2018 - 3.24 xFIP, 11.76 K/9, 5.35 BB/9, 51.4 GB%
    Fried Career - 3.69 xFIP, 9.96 K/9, 4.83 BB/9, 58.6 GB%

Which stat makes Freeman better - not $900,000 better, just better? Or do those stats not matter either?
    That wasn't in reply to you if you go back and look but keep up the good fight bro!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    That wasn't in reply to you if you go back and look but keep up the good fight bro!
    What difference does it make whether I posted those stats or Carp did? We simply have better options for less than half the price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I’m fine as long as we sign Machado, Harper and Kimbrel to a reasonable deal!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-23-2018)

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I will take a signing of McCann and Kimbrel. I know, home boys. A trade for a front line starter like Bumgarner, Kluber, etc. and a couple of bench guys and relievers.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Mitch Haniger just seems to fit what we need more than any other available rumored name out there. Plus I don’t hate the idea of dealing with the Mariners in general.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-23-2018), JohnAdcox (11-23-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Mitch Haniger just seems to fit what we need more than any other available rumored name out there. Plus I don’t hate the idea of dealing with the Mariners in general.
    Indeed, been reports he's available and some he's not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If we could somehow get Haniger and Diaz that would be 2 major pieces to the team and 2 of our 3 biggest needs. Then we’d have a ton of money to sign Grandal.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-23-2018), JohnAdcox (11-23-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If we could somehow get Haniger and Diaz that would be 2 major pieces to the team and 2 of our 3 biggest needs. Then we’d have a ton of money to sign Grandal.
    The problem with a deal to get those two would be that the prospect cost is likely to be astronomical. There's no doubt they'd be perfect fits, but at what cost? We're talking about a "gut the farm" type of deal. You're talking about the only two guys they have said all along they intend to keep. We all realize no one's ever really "off-limits" but if you wanted to deal for Haniger AND Diaz while keeping the current MLB pieces AA would likely literally have to back the truck up and let Dipoto choose whatever prospects he wanted - he probably wouldn't get the chance to say "no" to ANY of the close-to-ready guys including Soroka, Pache, Wright, Riley, and Contreras.

If they said they wanted those five PLUS, is anyone willing to make the deal?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I highly doubt Haniger is available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    The problem with a deal to get those two would be that the prospect cost is likely to be astronomical. There's no doubt they'd be perfect fits, but at what cost? We're talking about a "gut the farm" type of deal. You're talking about the only two guys they have said all along they intend to keep. We all realize no one's ever really "off-limits" but if you wanted to deal for Haniger AND Diaz while keeping the current MLB pieces AA would likely literally have to back the truck up and let Dipoto choose whatever prospects he wanted - he probably wouldn't get the chance to say "no" to ANY of the close-to-ready guys including Soroka, Pache, Wright, Riley, and Contreras.

If they said they wanted those five PLUS, is anyone willing to make the deal?
    The cost would be crazy but Pache would be expendable imo with a Haniger deal bc both our corner outfielders would be controllable for 4+ years. I love Contreras but getting those 2 would leave you so much money to upgrade C with Grandal and other areas. Wright, Riley, Pache, Contreras, and say Fried would be a good offer imo and i'd add Wentz if we had to. We'd still have Touki, Soroka, Gohara, and Anderson as pitching depth which is crazy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Kinda like they'd never trade Paxton for Justus Sheffield and filler???

BeanieAntics asked for "ideal". Ideally Dipoto would bungle a Segura deal as badly as he did the Paxton trade. If not (and just like the Carrasco proposal), there's stil plenty that could be done to sweeten the offer without giving away our top guys.
    Actually, we never said “they’d never trade Paxton for Justus Sheffield and filler”.

Since your lack of reading comprehension is well documented on this site, I’ll quote an example of what was actually said about the Ms:

Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Exactly. Newk may fit the "young cheap potential impact SP who is ready now" role those teams might be looking for in a trade like this. Fried might fit that role as well too. Some team may also still think Allard is an MLB SP.

The Indians and M's for sure are looking for those types of players. The M's just acquired Mallex Smith, and the Indians are definitely looking to reduce payroll without getting appreciably worse.

If they happen to overvalue guys like Newk, Fried and Allard then a nice value for a "frontline starter" might be there for the Braves.
    Sheffield is exactly the type of pitcher we knew the Ms would be looking for in exchange for Paxton. They overvalued him exactly as I figured they would overvalue that type of pitcher. Unfortunately, they didn’t overvalue Newk/Fried as much.

As usual, you have absolutely zero idea what you’re blabbering about, and we knew exactly what kind of trade the Ms were going to pull off for Paxton. By all means though, keep on derping along.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    My ideal offseason:

The Nega’s and Posi’s co-exist.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-23-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Actually, we never said “they’d never trade Paxton for Justus Sheffield and filler”.

Since your lack of reading comprehension is well documented on this site, I’ll quote an example of what was actually said about the Ms:

Sheffield is exactly the type of pitcher we knew the Ms would be looking for in exchange for Paxton. They overvalued him exactly as I figured they would overvalue that type of pitcher. Unfortunately, they didn’t overvalue Newk/Fried as much.

As usual, you have absolutely zero idea what you’re blabbering about, and we knew exactly what kind of trade the Ms were going to pull off for Paxton. By all means though, keep on derping along.
    I am sorry I ever feuded with you. I think I just misunderstood you at first. I now respect the F out of you.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    As long as it’s not the People’s Front of Atlanta

Splitters!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    My ideal offseason:

The Nega’s and Posi’s co-exist.
    I am sorry I ever feuded with you. I think I just misunderstood you at first. I now respect the F out of you.
    Hmm.
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    The cost would be crazy but Pache would be expendable imo with a Haniger deal bc both our corner outfielders would be controllable for 4+ years. I love Contreras but getting those 2 would leave you so much money to upgrade C with Grandal and other areas. Wright, Riley, Pache, Contreras, and say Fried would be a good offer imo and i'd add Wentz if we had to. We'd still have Touki, Soroka, Gohara, and Anderson as pitching depth which is crazy.
    Ever hear of Mark Teixeira?

On July 29, 2007, Elvis Andrus was "expendable" (blocked by Edgar Renteria and Yunel Escobar) and further away than Pache, Matt Harrison was "expendable" (blocked by Hudson, Smoltz, Chuck James, Buddy Carlyle, Kyle Davies, and Jo-Jo Reyes), and hadn't even been added to the 40-Man Roster, Pedro Feliz was still a SP and "expendable" (because of the same group of SPs plus Bob Wickman, Rafael Soriano, Moylan, Mike Gonzalez, and Joey Devine as a RP), Salty was "expendable" (because he was blocked behind the plate by Mac, Brayan Pena, and other vets), and Beau Jones was "expendable" (because he was blocked by the same group of SPs Harrison and Feliz were).

You can make a pretty convincing argument that NONE of those 5 guys that were traded for Tex had anywhere close to the ceilings the guys you're talking about trading away have - unless maybe if Feliz had been able to stick as a SP.

Would anyone like to have that deal back? Sure, Haniger and Diaz are controllable for a little longer than Teixeira and Ron Mahay were, but that's an absolute monster amount of talent you're talking about trading away. Back then, they could have easily transitioned Salty to 1B, Andrus to 2B to replace Kelly Johnson, and made Feliz a Closer and we'd never have used Kimbrel in that role (until he finally blew out). Give Riley an OF mitt and leave Camargo alone, trade Ender for what you can get for him next winter and plug Pache in, put Soroka and Wright in the rotation, and make Touki a Closer.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-23-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Ever hear of Mark Teixeira?

On July 29, 2007, Elvis Andrus was "expendable" (blocked by Edgar Renteria and Yunel Escobar) and further away than Pache, Matt Harrison was "expendable" (blocked by Hudson, Smoltz, Chuck James, Buddy Carlyle, Kyle Davies, and Jo-Jo Reyes), and hadn't even been added to the 40-Man Roster, Pedro Feliz was still a SP and "expendable" (because of the same group of SPs plus Bob Wickman, Rafael Soriano, Moylan, Mike Gonzalez, and Joey Devine as a RP), Salty was "expendable" (because he was blocked behind the plate by Mac, Brayan Pena, and other vets), and Beau Jones was "expendable" (because he was blocked by the same group of SPs Harrison and Feliz were).

You can make a pretty convincing argument that NONE of those 5 guys that were traded for Tex had anywhere close to the ceilings the guys you're talking about trading away have - unless maybe if Feliz had been able to stick as a SP.

Would anyone like to have that deal back? Sure, Haniger and Diaz are controllable for a little longer than Teixeira and Ron Mahay were, but that's an absolute monster amount of talent you're talking about trading away. Back then, they could have easily transitioned Salty to 1B, Andrus to 2B to replace Kelly Johnson, and made Feliz a Closer and we'd never have used Kimbrel in that role (until he finally blew out). Give Riley an OF mitt and leave Camargo alone, trade Ender for what you can get for him next winter and plug Pache in, put Soroka and Wright in the rotation, and make Touki a Closer.

Mark Texiera..rings a bell. None of the guys that left in that trade killed us. And how do you know the ones I mentioned will? We have to trade some of these guys if we are gonna fill holes with quality players that are cost controlled for awhile. If we wanna get we have to give. I love prospects and get attached like anybody else does but I’d be ok trading that package if it meant getting back star quality talent like we would be.