Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scandals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    So if a murderer is planning to shoot someone but is stopped by the cops before he does, we should applaud the guy?
    If someone wants to kill someone, consults friends and family who strongly urge against it, and the person ends up not doing it - does that make them a murderer still?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    If someone wants to kill someone, consults friends and family who strongly urge against it, and the person ends up not doing it - does that make them a murderer still?
    Nope. Did I say Obama was?

The point his, I'm not going to celebrate his lust for war

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    1. Syria disarmed -we fired no shots - lost no lives - 2. spent no money -- avoided another Middle East entanglement --
    Those are the facts --and you can post articles until you are blue in the face over how we got to there and how messy it was but, the facts are still the facts

Like I said it seems you are complaining because the TD was scored running the ball instead of passing

//////////////////

Maybe if you go back to Fast and Furious? At least the facts there are a little more obscure and the trail a little more attention span intensive!!
    because this (and those) all seems nothing more than a vehicle to embarrass Obama. I remember when scandals involved whores and drinking or adultry or bribery or other juicy topics -- in the age of Issa and College REpublicans it is nothing more than half baked little reseaarched fishing expeditions called scandals.

Call me when it involves a dead woman or a live boy
    1. No, not entirely.

2. Lie, we've spent plenty and no doubt continue to do so.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    If Obama had gotten his way it would have been a disaster. yes, I will absolutely criticize him for wanting to put us in a terrible position. Thank goodness fgor the American people and Vladimir Putin

Don't forget the British baling on him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    1. No, not entirely.

2. Lie, we've spent plenty and no doubt continue to do so.
    context? links?

even so -disagreeing with someone or how they conduct their business does not constitute a scandal -- which is how this monologue began over Syria.
    NSA is not a scandal -- Fast and Furious was not a scandal -- Benghazi was not a scandal -- Obamas place of birth was not a scandal. Michelle giving talks about child obesity was not a scandal. etc etc etc

In other news, Sarah Palin once likened the allocation of frequent flier miles to slavery.
    Do we have a pattern here or what?
    Last edited by 57Brave; 11-11-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    What is a scandal, in your mind? If fast and furious and NSA are not scandal,s what are?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    context? links?

I've already provided you one - we trained/train rebels (CIA) and that costs money. And Syria certainly hasn't been disarmed - we haven't even gotten all the chemicals used in their arms program.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Read the NYT article , & as news should be, it offered no Syrian alternative,
    That was what I was asking you -- what were realistic alternatives?
    What would constitute "handled well" in your eyes -- that had a snowballs chance of happening

To my mind our choices were worse,worser and worst and we actually came out with not so bad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    What is a scandal, in your mind? If fast and furious and NSA are not scandal,s what are?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    what if Obama believed in free markets and individual liberty?

Why waste our time asking such silly questions?
    Free markets. Nice.

What elected US official believes in free markets? Seriously. Give me a name.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    No, not totally.

Assad is still in power.

And as I said, and as the NYT articles attests, "handling well" isn't apt.
    I agree that "handling well" isn't exactly apt.

I would also like to know what a "well-handled" Syrian situation would look like.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-12-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Admin stumbled and bumbled their way into the Syrian resolution.

Obama sux, but he's a winner. The thing about winners is that luck is often on their side. Maybe it's finally run out with the healthcare fiasco.
    thank you weso1!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (11-12-2013)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I agree that "handling well" isn't exactly apt.

I would also like to know what a "well-handled" Syrian situation would look like.

Julio, I think a better approach would have been to have resisted the sort of drawing lines in the sands statements that POTUS made (rather Bushesque imho). Publicly to have referred to the countries in that region - namely Turkey and Israel - and to the international community. Then behind the scenes to have sought to settle on an approach early on that either went in full-bore with arming, preparing and supporting the better element of the Assad resistance that had the greater influence at that time and to have done so in conjunction with Jordan, Turkey, and Arab Gulf countries or to working more definitively with Russia to influence the Assad regime. I'm inclined to the latter due to the measure of protection that the Assad's and the Alawites provided to the numerous minorities in Syria (including Christians and Druzes) and due to this approach being the cheaper and more non-interventist option. POTUS's delay only allowed the more radical jihadists to grow in influence in the resistance and thus endangering the minority communities and giving the Assad regime more opportunity and a rationale to use more despicable means against the resistance. Beating the war drum and dithering made a bad situation even worse. He combined both the worst of Bush and the worst of Obama in that track.
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 11-12-2013 at 03:10 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

CK86 (11-13-2013), jpx7 (11-12-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I'm slow to judge foreign diplomacy. So much is posturing, "foreign entanglements" hidden behind the scenes.

Can't argue with your points / you could be exactly right but we don't know.
    We don't know if the story in NYT was planted (not saying it was) , we don't know how involved Putin has been etc etc ... I expect 10-20 yrs before we do know exactly what happened.

Shoot we didnt learn until yesterday there was a $600M stadium being built and our beloved Braves were moving. This had been in the works for -- how long? Right under our noses
    Which is why I say -- the situation in Syria -with what we know- came out as good as could be expected

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The fact that no one from Wall Street was put in jail over the financial collapse of 2008

The fact we even went to war in Iraq over info that was baked and no one went to prison

Abu Grahib

Black Sox

The fact that Dan Rather was fired by CBS and Laura Logan wasn't. After all, Rather had it right
    //////

Not sure how F&F or NSA qualify as scandals?
    Both are policies instituted by the federal government for specific reasons. F&F was intended to trap drug or gun runners (I think) and NSA was a reaction to 9/11 and that whole connect the dots thing. The fact you (or I) disagree with the policies does not constitute a scandal.

I would think a scandal would involve a conspiracy of some sort. Like Fatty Arbuckle conspired with someone way back when. Or, Ingrid Bergman conspired with that Rossellini man to co-habitate and have children out of marriage was "scandalous"
    What a stupid question
    Last edited by 57Brave; 11-13-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    The fact that no one from Wall Street was put in jail over the financial collapse of 2008

The fact we even went to war in Iraq over info that was baked and no one went to prison

Abu Grahib

Black Sox

The fact that Dan Rather was fired by CBS and Laura Logan wasn't. After all, Rather had it right
    //////

Not sure how F&F or NSA qualify as scandals?
    Both are policies instituted by the federal government for specific reasons. F&F was intended to trap drug or gun runners (I think) and NSA was a reaction to 9/11 and that whole connect the dots thing. The fact you (or I) disagree with the policies does not constitute a scandal.

I would think a scandal would involve a conspiracy of some sort. Like Fatty Arbuckle conspired with someone way back when. Or, Ingrid Bergman conspired with that Rossellini man to co-habitate and have children out of marriage was "scandalous"
    What a stupid question

Hold up a second... I need to make sure you understand what I mean when I say "NSA." So let me be clear...

I'm talking about the government spying on hundreds of millions of Americans' phone calls and emails... As well as foreign leaders. While the director of the NSA is under oathe saying "We're not spying on Americans." I mean, Richard Nixon got impeached for much, much less

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Richard Nixon was impeached for defying a congressional order . The 1971 Christmas bombings of Cambodia.

How long has the NSA been spying on Americans?
    My guess is the intelligence/law enforcement community under the guise of NSA or BSA has been wiretapping and intimately spying on American citizens for years before the Patriot Act. Ever read of Martin Luther King or J Edgar Hoover?

Patriot Act went into affect -----when?
    The program of Fast and Furious began ---- when?

I would think the issue is more these rogue programs than Obama

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Oh, the New York Post is so reliable.

Anyway, NSA can spy on me all they want as long as they don't tell my wife what I'm doing on the internet.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

57Brave (11-21-2013)