Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TUESDAY MINORS FINAL 7/2/19; Another 1-0 loss?!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Did anyone see that Derian Cruz voluntarily retired? Crazy..although I saw him in GCL and thought he had a chance, he barely progressed. I realize after seeing Pache and Cruz together that one soaked up instruction and the other dehydrated from it.
    3M bonus...hopefully he has a chunk of it left
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-03-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Did anyone see that Derian Cruz voluntarily retired? Crazy..although I saw him in GCL and thought he had a chance, he barely progressed. I realize after seeing Pache and Cruz together that one soaked up instruction and the other dehydrated from it.
    Didn't see that. He had hit a wall. Everything I read about him indicated he was a very hard worker, but he never hit. I think his signing bonus was actually a bit higher than Pache's and he was ranked higher than Pache in a number of reports leading up to that year's international signings. Juan Morales was the third in the highly-touted trio and, like Cruz, he's having problems with the bat.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-03-2019)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Didn't see that. He had hit a wall. Everything I read about him indicated he was a very hard worker, but he never hit. I think his signing bonus was actually a bit higher than Pache's and he was ranked higher than Pache in a number of reports leading up to that year's international signings. Juan Morales was the third in the highly-touted trio and, like Cruz, he's having problems with the bat.
    That’s good perspective, since hitting big on one of those three is still a very nice return.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    In the beginning Cruz looked like the better player. That’s a shame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Tom: What will the first date be when the Braves OF is Acuna, Pache and Waters?

12:57

Kiley McDaniel: August 1, 2020
    Ivermectin Man

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Thats pretty conservative. They will both be in AAA to start next year if not at some point this year. I would guess June 1st.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    In the beginning Cruz looked like the better player. That’s a shame.
    Seemlingly. But not really so. Both he and Pache were just getting instruction and they both got the same instruction. Hit the ball on a line/on the ground and use your speed to compensate until you get stronger. Scouts bemoaned that instruction as they both hit the ball hard at times, but nothing with lift. Make no mistake, Cruz worked hard. I've seen it both via the field and on the side. Where Pache changed things up is when he elevated his defense and his line drives started to find gaps. Cruz never really developed a plane on his swing that was conducive to being more than a singles hitter.

Even with that, it is surprising that Cruz is hanging it up. He was starting to fill out and even hit gappers on a few occasions. In any case, I wish him well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    He’s a rookie. Acuna (who is an All Star this year), also had a absolute horrid streak last year.

Riley is streaky as heck and you never know when he’s about to go off (remember how bad he was to begin the AAA season).

I don’t see them sending him down, because no matter how many times he looks bad, he can still change the game on one swing (like the Mets game).
    Yes Acuna also adjusted and improved his k and bb rates. Riley has not done that. Thanks for your major pearl of wisdom that rookies sometimes struggle though. I really had no clue. It’s not about the struggling, it’s about the why. It’s about the league adjusting and the overwhelming evidence that Riley hasn’t started adjusting on his end yet. I guarantee he will be sent down if he continues to struggle as bad as he has when he’s on a legit WS contender. Duvall can change a game with one swing too. Your argument doesn’t impress me much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Morales was not that hyped. He got mixed in with the 2 because they all signed together but he wasn’t ranked by any of the publications if I remember correctly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Yes Acuna also adjusted and improved his k and bb rates. Riley has not done that. Thanks for your major pearl of wisdom that rookies sometimes struggle though. I really had no clue. It’s not about the struggling, it’s about the why. It’s about the league adjusting and the overwhelming evidence that Riley hasn’t started adjusting on his end yet. I guarantee he will be sent down if he continues to struggle as bad as he has when he’s on a legit WS contender. Duvall can change a game with one swing too. Your argument doesn’t impress me much.
    Not saying Riley will be the player Acuna is, but here's their stats at close to the same number of PA to start career...

Acuna...
    184 PA .249/.304/.438, 6.5 bb%, 30.4 k%,
    .327 babip

Riley...
    182 PA .266/.319/.568, 4.4 bb%, 33.0 k%, .326 babip

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Not saying Riley will be the player Acuna is, but here's their stats at close to the same number of PA to start career...

Acuna...
    184 PA .249/.304/.438, 6.5 bb%, 30.4 k%,
    .327 babip

Riley...
    182 PA .266/.319/.568, 4.4 bb%, 33.0 k%, .326 babip
    Yes and then Acuna adjusted. As I clearly said, if Riley doesn’t start to adjust he will still struggle and likely be sent down. I never said he couldn’t or wouldn’t adjust and I never said he’d be sent down right now. There’s that select reading again...

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I think he proved my point lol. He only needs one good swing out of 12 to change a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I think he proved my point lol. He only needs one good swing out of 12 to change a game.
    You mean just like every all or nothing power hitter?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Tom: What will the first date be when the Braves OF is Acuna, Pache and Waters?

12:57

Kiley McDaniel: August 1, 2020
    Likely depends on which one of Donaldson or Riley is at 3B next April, no?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    You mean just like every all or nothing power hitter?
    He will become more than that in time, but right now...yes. He changes games with one swing and he has shown an ability to do that in big situations.

I’ll take a three bad strike outs and one three run dinger night lol. Kinda what Matt Adams did for us last year.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Acuna didn’t make significant adjustments until the ASB. I honestly think if he doesn’t sprain his knee, Soto probably does win ROY last year. The hand positioning that he came up with was just not going to be viable and his numbers would’ve probably taken a major hit if he didn’t get hurt because they didn’t really start working with him to adjust until then (he made minor tweaks in his rehab stint, but the major ones didn’t come until the break). So, while the injury sucked, some things just happen for a reason.

Something, something, adjusting on the fly can be hard, something, something.

It “does” make me wonder though. Would lowered hands work with Riley? If they have things for him to work on, it’ll interesting to read/hear about that if there is. The lowered hands helped Acuna in that it gave him more confidence to cover the low and away strike, so he didn’t get antsy anymore about swinging there to try to cover those pitches, and get caught swinging at breaking balls that ended up being outside or even in the dirt instead.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    He will become more than that in time, but right now...yes. He changes games with one swing and he has shown an ability to do that in big situations.

I’ll take a three bad strike outs and one three run dinger night lol. Kinda what Matt Adams did for us last year.
    Matt Adams who ended up being non-tendered