Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FRIDAY MINORS THREAD 9/1: One last hand, noting but aces

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Seems that way, but they both started pro careers in '15. Acuna has career .863 ops and riley has a career .815. Now I'm not saying .048 is an insignificant difference... just saying riley gets sold short imo
    Now I've heard it all lol

Acuna is basically an ARod/Andruw/Trout hybrid, and now Riley is comparable to Acuna.

The Braves system is unparalleled in the history of baseball!!
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-03-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Acuna is basically an ARod/Andruw/Trout hybrid, and now Riley is comparable to Acuna.

it's good that you now recognize this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    That is a woefully misleading argument, sir.
    How so? I just don't get the wait and see on riley, but none of that on acuna. Here's a comparison of the two...

'15 same stops:
    Riley = .933
    Acuna = .818

'16 pretty much Rome full season:
    Riley = .803
    Acuna = .821

'17:
    Riley...
    Florida = .718 (BABIP = .289)
    Miss = .868 (BABIP = .374)

Acuna...
    Florida = .814 (BABIP = .411)
    Miss = .895 (BABIP = .396)
    Gwinnett = .928 (BABIP = .404)

I'm not saying riley is the prospect that acuna is; he isn't. Just don't get wait and see on riley, but not acuna
    Last edited by msstate7; 09-03-2017 at 01:18 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (09-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts

And Albies is a better prospect than riley!!!!

And I'm not saying riley is on acuna's level... context matters

---
    So does content, sez rico
    Last edited by rico43; 09-03-2017 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Childish name-calling

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Acuna raised his ops .114 from A+ to AAA this year. Riley raised his .150 from A+ to AA. Are you wait and see on acuna too?

BTW, I'm not saying riley will play at this level going forward... I do like him, a lot though
    Compared to the board? Yes I am. Way too much rushing and sss. I think Acuna is an upgrade at either corner but that's not saying a ton. I'm not saying no doubt all star

Scouts feel Acuna is a potential 5 tool guy without a major weakness.
    Scouts seem to be split on rileys defensive ability during his ability to hit premium velocity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    I'm certainly not the high man on Riley, but no question the Double A numbers have been interesting. John Manuel from Baseball America wrote this on Friday:

"The scouts we’ve talked to are bullish on Austin Riley, and he’s got two plus tools that give them reason to do so in his power and throwing arm. His arm allows him great leeway at third base, mitigates his modest range and gives him a good shot to stay there as a big leaguer, at least in the next 4-5 years. And his power … well, it’s a power game, and he’s got the tool teams are looking for. Pretty nice year for his age and where he’s played."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

rico43 (09-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    How so? I just don't get the wait and see on riley, but none of that on acuna. Here's a comparison of the two...

'15 same stops:
    Riley = .933
    Acuna = .818

'16 pretty much Rome full season:
    Riley = .803
    Acuna = .821

'17:
    Riley...
    Florida = .718 (BABIP = .289)
    Miss = .868 (BABIP = .374)

Acuna...
    Florida = .814 (BABIP = .411)
    Miss = .895 (BABIP = .396)
    Gwinnett = .928 (BABIP = .404)

I'm not saying riley is the prospect that acuna is; he isn't. Just don't get wait and see on riley, but not acuna
    Ultimately it's because even if Acuna isn't a masher, he has other carrying tools. If Riley gets to AAA and can't hit like he has in his other stops he's absolutely toast. The fact that his peripherals aren't improving much does nothing to give us much confidence that he will continue to hit in the upper levels, whereas Acuna has seemingly made some strides.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

In your quest to insult everyone on the board, I'm reading this a little differently than you.

Austin Riley is hitting a solid .309 or so in Class AA at an age that many of his contemporaries are struggling to escape the SAL. His defense has been solid since arriving in AA, and if he fields the ones he can reach, it doesn't matter if he can't reach everything. Acuna's numbers aside, Riley's performance (interpret it however you wish) make him one of the most promising power hitters the Braves have developed this decade.

It might make for a more boring board, people, but comparing players who you have seldom, if ever, seen in action only makes you look like the casual fans you are. You'll enjoy posting a whole lot more if you don't overreach and pretend to have great insight.

And those of you with great insight, it's OK if you go a day or two without reminding everyone of this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Ultimately it's because even if Acuna isn't a masher, he has other carrying tools. If Riley gets to AAA and can't hit like he has in his other stops he's absolutely toast. The fact that his peripherals aren't improving much does nothing to give us much confidence that he will continue to hit in the upper levels, whereas Acuna has seemingly made some strides.
    What would you consider his peripherals?

His BB%,K% and LD % all increased this year over last. Ripley is a legit prospect. He just isn't a top guy like Acuna and that's ok.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    In your quest to insult everyone on the board, I'm reading this a little differently than you.

Austin Riley is hitting a solid .309 or so in Class AA at an age that many of his contemporaries are struggling to escape the SAL. His defense has been solid since arriving in AA, and if he fields the ones he can reach, it doesn't matter if he can't reach everything. Acuna's numbers aside, Riley's performance (interpret it however you wish) make him one of the most promising power hitters the Braves have developed this decade.

It might make for a more boring board, people, but comparing players who you have seldom, if ever, seen in action only makes you look like the casual fans you are. You'll enjoy posting a whole lot more if you don't overreach and pretend to have great insight.

And those of you with great insight, it's OK if you go a day or two without reminding everyone of this.
    Maybe raw power. An ISO that hovers under .200 suggests it hasn't translated in game yet.