Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Max Fried 2018 major league FIP 6.48
    Max Fried career major league FIP 5.31

Brandon McCarthy 2018 FIP 4.35
    It IS crazy that Wisler has been given more opportunities than Fried. He should have been the guy called up instead of Soroka (because Soroka was still so young).

I would love to see him al least get a chance. He did well yesterday and has way more upside than Wisler, Sims types.

Writing out a short list for next year:
    Gohara, Newk, Folty, Soroka, Allard, Julio, Weigel...I’m just not sure he makes it. That’s sad, but just a fact unless injuries happen. I would rather NOT give him away for a rental though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    It IS crazy that Wisler has been given more opportunities than Fried. He should have been the guy called up instead of Soroka (because Soroka was still so young).

I would love to see him al least get a chance. He did well yesterday and has way more upside than Wisler, Sims types.

Writing out a short list for next year:
    Gohara, Newk, Folty, Soroka, Allard, Julio, Weigel...I’m just not sure he makes it. That’s sad, but just a fact unless injuries happen. I would rather NOT give him away for a rental though.
    The list you posted is exactly the reason why fried should be in the rotation over mccarthey. I know he is probably better this year but we need to see fried for a long stretch of games. He's got ability

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Frieds sample size is HUGE!
    That is true. Until yesterday, Fried has not started a game in MLB this year. It’s not easy for a guy to get jerked up and down and thrown in the bullpen. I would love for him to pitch 3-4 straight starts and see how he does. His window is shrinking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    WHat I see in Fried is a guy that looks like he will strike out about a batter a game and will induce around 45% ground balls.

Yes - right now the concern is walks but the combination above should be something that gets all Braves fan excited about seeing an extended look.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    The list you posted is exactly the reason why fried should be in the rotation over mccarthey. I know he is probably better this year but we need to see fried for a long stretch of games. He's got ability
    Oh, and I forgot Touki will also be knocking on the door.

They are not going to give McCarthy away. If they eat his contract, they could absolutely get something for him. If they are asking the team to take his contract...then not as much. Just about everyone needs a starting pitcher like him btw. When he is on...he’s great. I would bet 20 teams (easily) right now would love to plug him into their rotation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Frieds sample size is HUGE!
    We can look at his 2017 minor league numbers. But mumble mumble yuge blisters.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-29-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I think people also suffer with the simple analysis of saying Frieds 24 so how much can he improve. That completely ignores the context of his career. I would expect significant improvements from what we have seen so far at the major league level.

Guy throws hard and has a plus curve (arguably plus plus) and an almost a plus change. People knock his fastball but he seems to keep hitters on the ground so it has to be doing something good.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Yeah - Who wants to use actual context in their analysis.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Yeah - Who wants to use actual context in their analysis.
    then contextualize by all means

"I am your retribution."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Not only blisters but lost time to TJ. He is really like a 22 year old. I get why some people aren’t high on him. He hasn’t been given the chance that even Sims has gotten. I don’t think he will end up in our rotation, but I am scratching my head as to why Wisler has recieved starts over him and why they called Soroka up so early when they didn’t have to. He has higher upside. You have to give the kid a chance because the stuff is there. Maybe they don’t think he can hold up, but he has been injury free this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    then contextualize by all means
    You did all the contextualizing that is needed in your 'snarky' post.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Not only blisters but lost time to TJ. He is really like a 22 year old. I get why some people aren’t high on him. He hasn’t been given the chance that even Sims has gotten. I don’t think he will end up in our rotation, but I am scratching my head as to why Wisler has recieved starts over him and why they called Soroka up so early when they didn’t have to. He has higher upside. You have to give the kid a chance because the stuff is there. Maybe they don’t think he can hold up, but he has been injury free this year.
    Since he is only 22 in development terms, let him do the developing. I think your point has some validity. But I also still think there is only a 5-10 percent chance he develops into a productive major league starter. By that I mean multiple seasons of 2 WAR or better as a major league starter.

Given where he is I think he has to earn a shot by having a productive stretch of 10 or more starts in AAA. He has 4 so far.

"I am your retribution."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-29-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Since he is only 22 in development terms, let him do the developing. I think your point has some validity. But I also still think there is only a 5-10 percent chance he develops into a productive major league starter. By that I mean multiple seasons of 2 WAR or better as a major league starter.

Given where he is I think he has to earn a shot by having a productive stretch of 10 or more starts in AAA. He has 4 so far.
    Normally I'd agree about the productive starts in AAA but we are running out of time to see Fried. The time is now before Soroka/Gohara/Allard are ready to come up.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Normally I'd agree about the productive starts in AAA but we are running out of time to see Fried. The time is now before Soroka/Gohara/Allard are ready to come up.
    What's wrong with letting all four of Fried, Soroka, Gohara and Allard earn their way up.

When Soroka was called up it was because he was pitching the best of all of them.

I imagine Sanchez will be given 2-3 starts. If he struggles during those starts he will be replaced by one of those four. And it should be the one who is pitching the best. The one who gives the major league team the best opportunity to win. I'm sure there will be an additional opening or two later this season for the AAA guys.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    An 'opening' that represents a short stint of starts. That doesn't give us any indication of how good Fried might be. Like all other young pitchers that show promise they need a couple of months of starts to begin the evaluation.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    While I'm optimistic on Fried, this is false. he can marinate in AAA a little while longer.
    Ivermectin Man

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-29-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I think people also suffer with the simple analysis of saying Frieds 24 so how much can he improve. That completely ignores the context of his career. I would expect significant improvements from what we have seen so far at the major league level.

Guy throws hard and has a plus curve (arguably plus plus) and an almost a plus change. People knock his fastball but he seems to keep hitters on the ground so it has to be doing something good.
    You’re preaching to the choir. I agree with this fully. Give the kid a handful of opportunity; if he fails, so be it. He needs to be starting. He was a top prospect for a reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    While I'm optimistic on Fried, this is false. he can marinate in AAA a little while longer.
    I just don't see it that way. Once Soroka/Gohara are back the spots in the rotation are theirs (as it should be). Where is the open spot then?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    An 'opening' that represents a short stint of starts. That doesn't give us any indication of how good Fried might be. Like all other young pitchers that show promise they need a couple of months of starts to begin the evaluation.
    A run of 10-15 starts in AAA does provide useful information on guys like Soroka, Allard, Fried and Gohara. You learn a bit more once they get a similar run in the majors. But that does not mean you don't learn a lot from their AAA performances. If one of them is pitching better in AAA, chances are he is the one who will do better in the majors.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    A run of 10-15 starts in AAA does provide useful information on guys like Soroka, Allard, Fried and Gohara. You learn a bit more once they get a similar run in the majors. But that does not mean you don't learn a lot from their AAA performances. If one of them is pitching better in AAA, chances are he is the one who will do better in the majors.
    How does Fried get into the major league rotation when Soroka/Gohara are back?
    Natural Immunity Croc