Page 88 of 579 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I’m wondering if AA has his sights set on somebody else that’s why he didn’t go after Paxton. That offer would have been an easy pill to swallow to get a frontline starter.
    the possibilities are

1) the Braves have interest in a frontline starter but not Paxton

2) the Braves are not looking for a frontline starter this off-season

3) the Braves made an offer on Paxton but it was not as good as the Yankees

4) the Braves made an offer than most of us would consider as good or better but the M's didn't value it as highly
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-20-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Yeah for me I have Soroka as a fringe 55/60. Anderson and Wright as firm 55s. Touki as a fringe 50/55. Gohara as a firm 50.

I have Wentz and Wilson as 50s, but on the lower end of the 50 scale. The rest of our guys (Allard, Muller, Beck, Tarnok, Ynoa) I have at 45 or lower.

I usually like Fangraphs and their valuations. Wentz and Wilson are both top 125 guys. I'm not even sure Swanson would make their top 200. He's just more of a fringey type of guy. Maybe I'm selling him short, but there really aren't that many reliable evaluations of him out there.
    Happen to be in one of those real deep fantasy leagues where I happen to own the whole crowd (other than Paxton and Wright). When ranking them, I had them...Anderson, Gohara, Sheffield, Touki, Soroka - but that's purely based on my estimation of ceilings at this point.

Of course, I also own Folty and Forrest Whitley in the same league, so it's probably a pretty good thing we can have 7 active SPs - already starting to shop Top 100 guys like Beau Burrows, Dane Dunning, and Justin Dunn, plus Allard. Will probably hang onto Matt Liberatore for the long haul since he's so far away..
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Pache, Wilson, Wentz, and Jenista for Haniger (About 95 million in surplus value). Would that get it done? If it would, would you pull the trigger on that deal?

Here is the pitching heavy package: Anderson, Gohara, Wilson, and Beck (About 105 million in surplus value). Same questions. If this gets it done, would you prefer this deal?
    No thanks - to either.

Not that any of them are "untouchable", but I'd rather spend some money on the free-agents and hang onto those guys.

I like Haniger plenty - just not enough to offer that type of package. If Pache's power develops, wouldn't you rather still have all those arms???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

buck75 (11-19-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Regarding Newk, teams might not be as high as him as the fans are.
    The fans who are throwing them into every trade proposal they can think of because they’d rather keep other prospects?

I’d suggest to you that those fans aren’t actually that high on Newcomb but want to believe one special team might be.

Likewise Wentz who has a decent half season and a lot of injury questions and not a huge upside.

We all have crushes on different dudes and you can bet no one is proposing trading someone that gives them a stiffy.

I think it’s weird how low people are on Anderson. You consistently see more meh on this board about him than from any independent evaluators.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I’m wondering if AA has his sights set on somebody else that’s why he didn’t go after Paxton. That offer would have been an easy pill to swallow to get a frontline starter.
    AA has pretty consistently let batting practice fastballs go by him on the trade market.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    So...how about Newcomb and Wentz for Carrasco

"I am your retribution."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-20-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    the possibilities are

1) the Braves have interest in a frontline starter but not Paxton

2) the Braves are not looking for a frontline starter this off-season

3) the Braves made an offer on Paxton but it was not as good as the Yankees

4) the Braves made an offer than most of us would consider as good or better but the M's didn't value it as highly
    Have kinda figured if these were the possibilities, that this is it - and maybe even someone we really haven't even discussed at length. Sure it's absolutely unlikely, but maybe he's willing to meet what would be an astronomical price for Blake Snell. Maybe he sees more value in MadBum's playoff legend and thinks he can get him for cheaper. Maybe it was Kluber or Carrasco's playoff experience. Maybe he was as scared of (or more scared of) Paxton's brittleness than everybody else.

Like everyone else, I haven't a clue what the deciding factor was, but there's little doubt that if AA wanted Paxton and asked Dipoto to circle back to him before pulling the trigger Alex could've easily beaten that package without it hurting much.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-19-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The fans who are throwing them into every trade proposal they can think of because they’d rather keep other prospects?

I’d suggest to you that those fans aren’t actually that high on Newcomb but want to believe one special team might be.

Likewise Wentz who has a decent half season and a lot of injury questions and not a huge upside.

We all have crushes on different dudes and you can bet no one is proposing trading someone that gives them a stiffy.

I think it’s weird how low people are on Anderson. You consistently see more meh on this board about him than from any independent evaluators.
    I like Anderson the most of our pitching prospects, love his ceiling. But we're gonna have to trade some of these arms as the ML team is ready to win now, just hope AA makes the right decisions.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I prefer the Yankees side of this deal. In Braves terms, the industry valuation on Sheffield would be most similar to Toussaint, I assume? I was thinking that it would take better secondary pieces to get Paxton than the two guys NYY gave up if the primary guy is Sheffield.
    Sheffield is more closely comparable to a healthy Soroka. Maybe Ian Anderson if you're really high on him currently. A legit 55/60 FV prospect.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Have kinda figured if these were the possibilities, that this is it - and maybe even someone we really haven't even discussed at length. Sure it's absolutely unlikely, but maybe he's willing to meet what would be an astronomical price for Blake Snell. Maybe he sees more value in MadBum's playoff legend and thinks he can get him for cheaper. Maybe it was Kluber or Carrasco's playoff experience. Maybe he was as scared of (or more scared of) Paxton's brittleness than everybody else.

Like everyone else, I haven't a clue what the deciding factor was, but there's little doubt that if AA wanted Paxton and asked Dipoto to circle back to him before pulling the trigger Alex could've easily beaten that package without it hurting much.
    If AA and Mike Fast looked at the situation and opted out of beating the Yankees price, only to end up buying on freaking Madison Bumgarner because of his playoff experience, then I would lose all faith in this front office immediately.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-20-2018)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Any one think the Yankees still looking to add Patrick Corbin?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Any one think the Yankees still looking to add Patrick Corbin?
    believe so...they had two openings in their rotation...one is now filled...Severino, Tanaka, Paxton, CC and Corbin?

There had been some thought they would go after Corbin and Happ. Now Happ is probably a backup plan.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    AA isn’t interested in short term deals that eat up prospect capital. I could see an exception for Bumgarner bc I think he would sign an extension. If I’m dealing with Seattle I’m trying to get Haniger and Diaz. It would be expensive but you’d kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Go. After. Haniger.

He is this off-season's Yelich. Very good defensively and a budding star offensively. You get Haniger, and whatever else you do this off-season is gravy.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Per Ken Rosenthal:

#Indians drawing significant trade interest in catcher Yan Gomes as well as SPs, sources tell The Athletic. Gomes earning $7M in 2019 with $9M club option for ‘20, $11M opt for ‘21. Rival exec says CLE “scrambling to get young players.” Perez and Haase only other Cs on roster.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steveAKAslick For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (11-19-2018), jpx7 (11-20-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveAKAslick View Post
    Per Ken Rosenthal:

#Indians drawing significant trade interest in catcher Yan Gomes as well as SPs, sources tell The Athletic. Gomes earning $7M in 2019 with $9M club option for ‘20, $11M opt for ‘21. Rival exec says CLE “scrambling to get young players.” Perez and Haase only other Cs on roster.
    Let's go get Haniger, Diaz, Gomes, and Kluber... sign Marwin and a closer... easy as pie right?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves could have easily beaten that package and still won the trade from a value perspective.

If they really wanted a “frontline starter” they could have had Paxton today.
    I’m with you. His health must have been a concern maybe, because I don’t see another reason...besides a frontline starter is not high in the priority list.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Sheffield is more closely comparable to a healthy Soroka. Maybe Ian Anderson if you're really high on him currently. A legit 55/60 FV prospect.
    This isn’t remotely true.

No doubt the Ms are high on him though, which explains the trade.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveAKAslick View Post
    Per Ken Rosenthal:

Gomes plus a pitcher wouldn’t shock me. There might be a good value there centered on Newk and/or Fried.

Just Gomes wouldn’t shock me. Gomes alone for a mediocre arm would likely be a pretty good value add.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-19-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Gomes would be a solid addition, but I think I'd put him as my number 3 option behind Grandal and Ramos. 4th if you include Realmuto.

But he's a good catcher who is an average hitter.