Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Liberal Media Bubble

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Irregardless of the existence of both bubbles let's not pretend that there isn't an overwhelming liberal bias in media.
    But who is the media? I thought I just covered that. Many on the right don't consider their sources like the ones I just mentioned as being part of the media. Do you think that's coincidence? They like to be the media when people tune in to their shows when they spew right wing BS, but when someone calls them on it, they like to jump back over on the other side of the line and do a Sean Hannity, "Hey I'm just a talk show host". I know Repubs have been having it both ways since the early years of W's administration but that doesn't make it right or true.

I agree about the portions of the media you consider "the media" leaning to the left, why can't you agree with me that THE MEDIA consists of all sources where people go to get their news and information and therefore should all be held accountable to the same standards and rules?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Did he lose his job because he made important factual misstatements to his colleagues?
    No.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    That you choose to believe that he had a sudden attack of amnesia about both the number of and the content of his conversations with the ambassador is up to you. I can't prove otherwise, though I would assume his forced resignation spoke to that.

I will remember, in future conversations, that you consider a factual misstatement a "lie" only if it is proven such under oath.
    You are great at decontextualizing, but have a nasty problem with trying to put words in people's mouths. Nasty!

If you are content reducing a fine point into a blunt object that's your prerogative.
    Last edited by Hawk; 03-16-2017 at 09:22 AM.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    No.
    So the White House's explanation of his firing, that it was because of an eroded level of trust, is not something you subscribe to?

Also, Flynn publicly stuck to his original story well after he had been informed of the DoJ concern about his call. Does this call into question your interpretation of the intentionality of the misstatement?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    So the White House's explanation of his firing, that it was because of an eroded level of trust, is not something you subscribe to?

Also, Flynn publicly stuck to his original story well after he had been informed of the DoJ concern about his call. Does this call into question your interpretation of the intentionality of the misstatement?

From the NYT (immediately following Spicer's 'eroding level of trust' quote): But other aides privately said that Mr. Trump, while annoyed at Mr. Flynn, might not have pushed him out had the situation not attracted such attention from the news media. Instead, according to three people close to Mr. Trump, the president made the decision to cast aside Mr. Flynn in a flash, the catalyst being a news alert of a coming article about the matter.

“Yeah, it’s time,” Mr. Trump told one of his advisers.

Until around that point, Mr. Flynn seemed to think he was going to keep his job. He told The Daily Caller, a conservative news site, on Monday that he had not violated the law. “If I did, believe me, the F.B.I. would be down my throat, my clearances would be pulled,” he said. “There were no lines crossed.”

And to your second question, again, no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    per BBC:
    Two FSB officers were accused of conspiring with two alleged criminal hackers in a Department of Justice indictment announced on Wednesday.
    The charges are believed to be the first that the US has filed against Russian government officials.
    Yahoo's 2014 breach affected 500 million user accounts.
    "As we have said repeatedly, there can be absolutely no question of any official involvement by any Russian agency, including the FSB [intelligence agency], in any illegal actions in cyberspace," said spokesman Dmitry Peskov.
    I guess this is a matter of perspective, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    From the NYT (immediately following Spicer's 'eroding level of trust' quote): But other aides privately said that Mr. Trump, while annoyed at Mr. Flynn, might not have pushed him out had the situation not attracted such attention from the news media. Instead, according to three people close to Mr. Trump, the president made the decision to cast aside Mr. Flynn in a flash, the catalyst being a news alert of a coming article about the matter.

“Yeah, it’s time,” Mr. Trump told one of his advisers.

Until around that point, Mr. Flynn seemed to think he was going to keep his job. He told The Daily Caller, a conservative news site, on Monday that he had not violated the law. “If I did, believe me, the F.B.I. would be down my throat, my clearances would be pulled,” he said. “There were no lines crossed.”

And to your second question, again, no.
    I'm willing to concede that the original misstatements (to Pence, Spicer, and the WH counsel?) may have been innocent. What you appear to be saying is that when he continued to publicly make misstatements about the calls, there was no intent to mislead or deceive?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I guess this is a matter of perspective, too.
    Whether or not a government's official position is newsworthy material shouldn't be a matter of perspective. Which was my original point.

Peskov is just a mouthpiece.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (03-16-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I'm willing to concede that the original misstatements (to Pence, Spicer, and the WH counsel?) may have been innocent. What you appear to be saying is that when he continued to publicly make misstatements about the calls, there was no intent to mislead or deceive?
    Well, take a step back and envision what might have been going on behind the scenes administratively (for example, Flynn obtaining legal counsel or bringing on a PR manager). Maintaining continuity might have been the smartest avenue at that time.

I'm less concerned with those instances, primarily because I view them as a move to protect the flank.
    Last edited by Hawk; 03-16-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Well, take a step back and envision what might have been going on behind the scenes administratively (for example, Flynn obtaining legal counsel or bringing on a PR manager). Maintaining continuity might have been the smartest avenue at that time.
    That's quite possibly true and I can see the argument for it. It would still seem to put them in the category of intentional misstatements.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    LOL dude... this article was from Nate Silver... a die hard liberal who at least tries to look at things objectively
    I wasn't replying to any specific post, just saying I observe people who complain about the mainstream media are usually right wingers who watch Fox, which is also mainstream. I fully admit the majority is leftist, but all major outlets have a bias. Fox makes no efforts to hide who it's dearly in love with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    If you complain about media bias, then go home and soak up hours of Fox News, are you not a hypocrite?

Whaaaa the liberal meda, whaaaaa the liberal media. Then you go and watch Fox, the most one sided crap on the planet.
    If you truly think Fox is the most one sided major news source out there, then you need to watch a bit more CNN and MSNBC. Their coverage of Trump since the election has been absurd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    But who is the media? I thought I just covered that. Many on the right don't consider their sources like the ones I just mentioned as being part of the media. Do you think that's coincidence? They like to be the media when people tune in to their shows when they spew right wing BS, but when someone calls them on it, they like to jump back over on the other side of the line and do a Sean Hannity, "Hey I'm just a talk show host". I know Repubs have been having it both ways since the early years of W's administration but that doesn't make it right or true.

I agree about the portions of the media you consider "the media" leaning to the left, why can't you agree with me that THE MEDIA consists of all sources where people go to get their news and information and therefore should all be held accountable to the same standards and rules?
    1. I do not know a single person who watches Fox that fails to admit it is biased to the right. Not one. The problem is getting everyone else to admit that CNN, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, NYT, ABC, etc. are biased to the left, most of them as far to the left as Fox is to the right. Each and every one of them. Fox isn't the disease here, it's a natural reaction to a market short coming.

2. If we expand this from left wing news desks vs right wing news desks to include commentators like Hannity and O'Reilly, then it also needs to include SNL, the late night shows, Trevor Noah, Samantha Bee, etc. Are you sure that helps your point?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Mossy's right and as soon as conservatives start to force their own "news sources" to police themselves a little better is when things might actually start to get better. I've been pointing this out for years on this very forum and for longer than that on other forums with many of these same people. I don't disagree that the "mainstream media" leans left, some a little, some a lot, but if a person gets their news from one of the many right or even far right leaning sources on Fox then Fox IS a part of the media and doesn't that by itself pull the whole news industry back towards the center at least somewhat? Add in talk radio and what does that do to the curve?

The problem is people who hate the MSM say they hate it because it leans so badly to the left and all they want is for the news media to be "truly balanced and unbiased" but that isn't what they want at all. A truly "facts only" news media would piss off both conservatives and liberals in a matter of seconds. In fact that may be the only actual way to get them to agree on anything (with each other).
    Don't preach high and mighty to the conservatives about the ONE news source that doesn't have a left wing bias, and tell them they need to fix it before complaining about the dozens of left wing news sources. You're better than that.

The left wing media bias existed before Fox. It created Fox. It's natural that a person will get fatigued of obvious bias against that person's beliefs. Had a few of those other sources been willing to play things down the middle a couple of decades ago, then Fox would have never become the ratings monster that it is.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    1. I do not know a single person who watches Fox that fails to admit it is biased to the right. Not one. The problem is getting everyone else to admit that CNN, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, NYT, ABC, etc. are biased to the left, most of them as far to the left as Fox is to the right. Each and every one of them. Fox isn't the disease here, it's a natural reaction to a market short coming.

2. If we expand this from left wing news desks vs right wing news desks to include commentators like Hannity and O'Reilly, then it also needs to include SNL, the late night shows, Trevor Noah, Samantha Bee, etc. Are you sure that helps your point?
    They may admit that Fox (overall) is biased to the right, but most of the ones I know believe the right is right, they don't see it as biased at all, they see it as them just telling the straight truth. And yes to your other point, if a person goes to the Daily Show or Bee or John Stewart or even the Farmer's Almanac for their news then yes when they're claiming to report the news then they are part of the news media in my book, right or wrong, good or bad. Of course when comedians tell you something is news then make fun of it I think it has a slightly different overall effect than when they tell you it's the news with a straight face and act like they're serious, but hey it is what it is.

Rather than defend those on the far right who lie to people or even worse, use propaganda and half truths to get people to follow them, just because the other side does it and arguably does it worse or better (however you want to look at that) I'd think you'd want to be on my side that nobody on TV, radio, or the Internet should be able to pass themselves off as a news source while spewing BS, I could not care any less which side they're on.

That whole, "well they did it first" argument only makes things worse IMO

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-16-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Don't preach high and mighty to the conservatives about the ONE news source that doesn't have a left wing bias, and tell them they need to fix it before complaining about the dozens of left wing news sources. You're better than that.

The left wing media bias existed before Fox. It created Fox. It's natural that a person will get fatigued of obvious bias against that person's beliefs. Had a few of those other sources been willing to play things down the middle a couple of decades ago, then Fox would have never become the ratings monster that it is.
    I'm preaching high and mighty? Have you ever read how staunch conservatives "correct" those who dare to disagree with them or who challenge the "virtue" of any far right source? Do you know how many times I've been attacked on this very board for pointing out that Rush Limbaugh is "full of ****e"? I know EXACTLY how you guys think because I used to be one of you.

I actually agree with you quite a bit anyway about how the MSM guys created Fox or at least poured miracle grow on them. The bottom line I've been trying to get across is:

The opposite of Left wing BS is Right wing BS, which is NOT to say, the opposite of Left wing BS is Truth and that's what most people IMO on both sides of the political spectrum believe and that's what most people on both sides of the political spectrum WANT, not THE truth, they want THEIR truth, stuff they already thought was true, stuff they're already been Pavlov'ed into accepting as truth. Face it, all you're doing is defending the right of those on the right to put forth propaganda rather than facts because the libs already do it and have been doing it forever and so on.

Truth is truth and half truths are half truths. When you support half truths as truth you're not being better than the liberal media you hate, you're being just like them, which is totally your right to do, I'm just telling you the whole truth, not to try and be an ahole, which I may well be, I'm doing it to try and help shine some light on what's really happening in this country. And as for me starting by cleaning up the left, I'm not a Dem, ask Steak Sauce if you don't believe me. Ask him how many of the club meetings I've ever been invited to, just like I'm not a member of the right, they (as a whole) hate me way more than the left does because I try to tell the whole truth, at least to the best of my ability.

Oh and thanks for the vote of confidence (that I'm better than that) but the truth is I'm probably not any better than that. I don't have a party, I haven't had a political party to support (even half assedly) since I left the Republican party back during Lord Reagan's reign of "oh it's nothing personal, it's just business" and "it' OK to do a little evil in order to do much good". Oh those were the days!!

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (03-16-2017), Jaw (03-16-2017), jpx7 (03-16-2017)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    In defending Okie, that is the post you can call "The truth".

I still like you Jaw, no hard feelings but I will defend my bud's stance on things, we are brothers in the Ebony and Ivory sort of way and have mostly similar leanings.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-16-2017), Oklahomahawk (03-16-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I wasn't calling you a liberal Okie, I like you too much to do that. Just making a general statement there. My thoughts don't often flow in an optimal format so it just got tossed in to my reply to you.

I agree with you that bias is a major problem, I just don't think there is a way to eliminate it that won't eventually make it worse. Do we want Loretta Lynch or Jeff Sessions prosecuting the news people that each decide is biased? For now, we are stuck with what we have, Fox and talk radio on the right vs basically all other media sources on the left.

For the record, I probably watch an hour of tv per month. I listen to NPR a lot and can't stand Hannity/Rush/Levin etc. I can't stand NPR either, but occasionally they stop campaigning for the DNC and have something interesting on. The rest of the time it at least challenges my belief system. Today they had a story about coral reefs losing their color due to water temperature stress. Fascinating stuff. The solution of course is for the entire globe to immediately go to zero emissions. Like I said, fascinating.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I wasn't calling you a liberal Okie, I like you too much to do that. Just making a general statement there. My thoughts don't often flow in an optimal format so it just got tossed in to my reply to you.

I agree with you that bias is a major problem, I just don't think there is a way to eliminate it that won't eventually make it worse. Do we want Loretta Lynch or Jeff Sessions prosecuting the news people that each decide is biased? For now, we are stuck with what we have, Fox and talk radio on the right vs basically all other media sources on the left.

For the record, I probably watch an hour of tv per month. I listen to NPR a lot and can't stand Hannity/Rush/Levin etc. I can't stand NPR either, but occasionally they stop campaigning for the DNC and have something interesting on. The rest of the time it at least challenges my belief system. Today they had a story about coral reefs losing their color due to water temperature stress. Fascinating stuff. The solution of course is for the entire globe to immediately go to zero emissions. Like I said, fascinating.
    No offense taken man. :) As for calling me a lib or a Repub, I am finishing up my 24 year in education. I can't even imagine, let alone think of all the things I have been called over the years. lol

Personally I don't want Loretta or Jeff prosecuting anyone though I can't see them being worse than Obama's first AG, Mr. let's give automatic weapons to Mexican drug wars, I mean, what's the worst that can happen? I just wish these people would actually place people into these cabinet positions based on actual education, ability, talent, etc., rather than by trying to promote some agenda or repay some sort of favor. I especially hate the idea of someone who spent her whole life hating on and criticizing public education being placed in a position to reform it (and by reform I mean destroy). Does public education need some SERIOUS reforming, hell yes but why is it so hard to find someone who doesn't owe someone up there so they might actually get a decent solution instead of fixing one clusterpfark by creating a different one. Oh and don't even get me started on Pruitt or Rick DUMAS Perry.

totally agree about bias and also totally agree that as long as "the far one side" exists then "the far other side" has to exist, but I just wish more people could see that the opposite of one type of bull****e is just another type of bull****e. If I asked you, or anyone else, would you like a great big plate or cow manure, or a great big plate or horse manure, or a great big plate of chicken poop for dinner (3 choices, right) I'm relatively confident that I'd get pretty close to 100% of "none of the freakin' above". Isn't what we put into our minds and our hearts and our souls just as important as what we put into our stomachs?

I listen to NPR now and then but it doesn't come in too clear around here (in the redneck boonies) so I've just never had the opportunity to get into it. I've long been a fan (sort of) that if you want to watch or listen to a person on one extreme then you should have to listen to or watch someone of the other extreme. I like Bill Maher, at least some of the time, and I really like John Oliver, so I try to counter that with a little Bill O'Reilly. I even watched a little Alex Jones yesterday. It wasn't his show, he was a guest on someone else's show who seemed just about as BSC as he is and it wasn't even that bad.

I wish I was smart enough to invent a clean form of energy that's totally ready to go right now, rather than the 50 years or so it would take now to get through the oil companies roadblock.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    In defending Okie, that is the post you can call "The truth".

I still like you Jaw, no hard feelings but I will defend my bud's stance on things, we are brothers in the Ebony and Ivory sort of way and have mostly similar leanings.
    Thanks man, I knew I could count on you!!! :)

So does that mean you're Stevie Wonder and I"m Paul McCartney? That sounds like a pretty good musical arrangement to me.

Did you think about that idea I ran by you the other day? Clear out your PMs and I could tell you more, or I could text you if you'd like.