Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maher

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Didn't see/hear the Maher comment. Anyone with a link?

This Sasse tweet seems reasonable to me:

"...The history of the n-word is an attack on universal human dignity. It’s therefore an attack on the American Creed. Don't use it.”

I hated hearing it growing up and still do. Glad I don't hear it as much. Can people say it? Sure. Should they? I don't think so. Hey, but that's just one old white guy's opinion.
    I totally agree with this. I'm no fan of Maher—I've never found him funny, and I just don't really like his style—but I do think some of the speech-policing has gotten way out of hand, so I'm sympathetic to some extent. On the other hand, with a word like the n-bomb, maybe just, like, don't say it. In all but a few instances, it's probably not necessary to your point—even if your intention is not racist, even if your intention is explicitly anti-racist—so just consider whether it's really worth it.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (06-10-2017), Runnin (06-05-2017), Tapate50 (06-05-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Really a shame that free speech is effectively being outlawed in this country.
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Does anone actually support these tactics used today to silence people? When does it cross a line then?
    As goldy alludes, you need to parse your terms a bit better.

I've made it clear many times that I find these mad rushes to mob condemnation to fall somewhere between inane and chilling, and I particularly don't like or approve of the extent to which universities have allowed student groups to dictate the size and scope of open discourse (with the recent case at Evergreen State an especially sad and irony-tinged example).

Having said that: free speech is by no means "effectively being outlawed in this country", and to say so is simply alarmist. Yes, there's been hypercorrection in the public discourse vis-à-vis what we as a culture deem "permissible", but there are always going to be repercussions to saying stupid ****. It's not illegal—and it never should be—to call your boss a fat, donkey-f–cking turd-licker, but you probably shouldn't be surprised when she fires you, and you damn better not think she infringed on your rights by doing so.
    Last edited by jpx7; 06-05-2017 at 07:05 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Didn't see/hear the Maher comment. Anyone with a link?

This Sasse tweet seems reasonable to me:

"...The history of the n-word is an attack on universal human dignity. It’s therefore an attack on the American Creed. Don't use it.”

I hated hearing it growing up and still do. Glad I don't hear it as much. Can people say it? Sure. Should they? I don't think so. Hey, but that's just one old white guy's opinion.
    He actually didn't say the word in the way most people thing, he said "I'm a house-ni**er". It was regrettable.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    The only white person I'm willing to cut some slack on this is the late Flannery O'Connor. That was an awesome short-story.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (06-10-2017), jpx7 (06-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    The only white person I'm willing to cut some slack on this is the late Flannery O'Connor. That was an awesome short-story.
    She's one of my favorites.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (06-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Just got to see the episode where he deals with his mistake. He handled it about the best I've seen. Good for him.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (06-10-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Twain

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (06-10-2017), jpx7 (06-11-2017)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Just saw the original clip. Can see why sensitive African Americans would not like to hear the word, but the way Maher used it seemed appropriate to me. There really is no other word for that term. House slave?

edit - I'll try again. Americans who want to live in a free country need to develop thicker skin, even those who have been unfairly treated.
    Last edited by Runnin; 06-10-2017 at 08:37 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

thethe (06-10-2017)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Maybe a hip hop guy with over 20 years of homophobic slurs isn't the best to lecture someone for an insensitive joke.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (06-11-2017), jpx7 (06-11-2017), Oklahomahawk (06-11-2017)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Just saw the original clip. Can see why sensitive African Americans would not like to hear the word, but the way Maher used it seemed appropriate to me. There really is no other word for that term. House slave?

edit - I'll try again. Americans who want to live in a free country need to develop thicker skin, even those who have been unfairly treated.
    Dane, exhibit "A" on how Liberals can by hypocrites. If this was gays, transgenders or any other he would never utter this. This is why I don't trust white people, especially Democrats (thank you parents for telling me this when I was young). Smile in your face with a knife hiding behind their back. At least a Republican will f*ck you and do it in your face.

I wouldn't put it pass them to call me the N-word all day everyday, especially 57 because I am not a house n*gger to them that obeys their every command.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    If only there were some third option available where he says none of the above... Call me overly sensitive but I feel like if you're in a position where you need to choose between calling yourself the n word or a slave, you might have picked the wrong joke.
    Last edited by mqt; 06-11-2017 at 02:58 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (06-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    If only there were some third option available where he says none of the above... Call me overly sensitive but I feel like if you're in a position where you need to choose between calling yourself the n word or a slave, you might have picked the wrong joke.
    He didn't choose anything. It popped out of his mouth before he had time to think because it was exactly the word he wanted. I understand why a lot of people don't like it.

I think one can agree that it's not an appropriate word to use and still not think one who uses it should be attacked. And the context in this case is important. Maher was making a joke about himself and it really had NOTHING to do with black people.
    Last edited by Runnin; 06-11-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Dane, exhibit "A" on how Liberals can by hypocrites. If this was gays, transgenders or any other he would never utter this. This is why I don't trust white people, especially Democrats (thank you parents for telling me this when I was young). Smile in your face with a knife hiding behind their back. At least a Republican will f*ck you and do it in your face.

I wouldn't put it pass them to call me the N-word all day everyday, especially 57 because I am not a house n*gger to them that obeys their every command.
    I probably am a hypocrite but not in this case. I haven't used the word since I was a kid growing up in Mississippi over 40 yrs ago when I heard others use it, thought it sounded disrespectful and made a point not to use it anymore. But also to request that others not use it either, which of course prompted some to call me a n-lover.

Maher called himself the N-word and was being self-deprecating in a light, humorous way. A lot of people didn't like it. I think he sincerely tried to apologize. Some people didn't think it was enough. I think some people are too sensitive.