Thread: Braves Acquire Matt Adams From Cardinals

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    who?

3b is down. Frazier is the only guy i can think of.

also to be fair i tink its clear they expected srod to play a bunch at 3B. maybe that would have been bad too but we will never know
    I haven't had the time to look. And they will have SRod available next year. If Adams bat is so important to them then try him out at third. The difference in defense would be the same.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I haven't had the time to look. And they will have SRod available next year. If Adams bat is so important to them then try him out at third. The difference in defense would be the same.
    Yeah, I really don't get the 'We have to have Adams and Freeman both in the lineup, so it's Freeman we should try at 3B.' Freeman is the foundation of the franchise, has played at 1B essentially his entire pro career, will play 1B for us in the future, and almost certainly can not play 3B acceptably. Adams is a rental who has no real future with the team, and also almost certainly can not play 3B acceptably.

The smart thing is to play neither at 3B, but if you're going to choose one, why make it Freeman?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-30-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Yeah, I really don't get the 'We have to have Adams and Freeman both in the lineup, so it's Freeman we should try at 3B.' Freeman is the foundation of the franchise, has played at 1B essentially his entire pro career, will play 1B for us in the future, and almost certainly can not play 3B acceptably. Adams is a rental who has no real future with the team, and also almost certainly can not play 3B acceptably.

The smart thing is to play neither at 3B, but if you're going to choose one, why make it Freeman?
    Cuz Freeman volunteered. Which is an alarming thing, because while he is a good player he is probably not a good evaluator and not really the right person to be making this kind of decision.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-30-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Cuz Freeman volunteered. Which is an alarming thing, because while he is a good player he is probably not a good evaluator and not really the right person to be making this kind of decision.

Because Freeman got caught up in the MAtt Adams hype like many on this board did.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Because Freeman got caught up in the MAtt Adams hype like many on this board did.
    He's trending towards a negative WAR... although it's reasonable to expect a hot streak or two at some point.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

Yeah, but you've got to look at this way: if one of Freeman/Adams were to magically 'fit' (I'll leave that open to interpretation) at 3B, who would you rather it be?

This team is ****ty. It can afford to play ****ty. Giving Freeman 5-10 experimental games at 3B ain't gonna hurt anybody.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    He's trending towards a negative WAR... although it's reasonable to expect a hot streak or two at some point.
    Shh, you are going to upset the pozzies.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Chipper more or less did the same when necessitated out of need by playing LF or moving back to short (to accommodate Pendleton).

It's no long lasting solution, but no more absurd than fantasy league team owners thinking that they're major league general managers on message boards.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Trending toward negative WAR..? How so? Because it dropped .1 point over the last 7 days?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Chipper more or less did the same when necessitated out of need by playing LF or moving back to short (to accommodate Pendleton).

It's no long lasting solution, but no more absurd than fantasy league team owners thinking that they're major league general managers on message boards.
    Years later Chipper expressed regret about the whole thing. He thinks his time in left contributed to some of the leg problems later in his career.

I hope nothing like that happens with Freddie.

My recollection is Chipper's move to left was to accommodate Mark DeRosa at third. Who happened to be a very good friend of Chipper's. There are a whole host of reasons you want to keep players as far away from these kinds of decisions as possible.

"I am your retribution."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-30-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Trending toward negative WAR..? How so? Because it dropped .1 point over the last 7 days?
    If I'm looking at his stat page right, he has 0.1WAR right now. Wasn't he at 0.7WAR just a few weeks ago?

Edit - thought I was talking about Kemp... wrong thread
    Last edited by sturg33; 06-30-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    My recollection is Chipper's move to left was to accommodate Mark DeRosa at third. Who happened to be a very good friend of Chipper's. There are a whole host of reasons you want to keep players as far away from these kinds of decisions as possible.
    That was later. Chipper had been an option in LF since the Klesko era and relocated there full-time in 2003 when the Braves signed Vinny Castilla (although the writing was on the wall in 2002 when they let Crackaniti get in a few games at 3B).

That move made much, much less sense than trying Freeman at 3B does now.

Chipper looked worse in LF than Garret Anderson.
    Last edited by Hawk; 06-30-2017 at 11:45 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-30-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Apologies... thought I was in the Matt Kemp thread!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    That was later. Chipper had been an option in LF since the Klesko era and relocated there full-time in 2003 when the Braves signed Vinny Castilla (although the writing was on the wall in 2002 when they let Crackaniti get in a few games at 3B).

The first Chipper to left move was in spring of what would have been his rookie year. He had played short in the minors. So the move was short to left for a rookie. A move from a more challenging position in the minors to a less demanding one. In the end it didn't happen because he blew out his knee running to first and missed the season. When he came back the next year Pendleton had played out his contract and moved on. That's my recollection anyhow. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

The second (which is more analogous to what Freddie is doing) came after he was already an established star at third.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-30-2017 at 12:04 PM.

"I am your retribution."

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (06-30-2017), jpx7 (06-30-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Apologies... thought I was in the Matt Kemp thread!
    That makes much more sense.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    The first Chipper to left move was in spring of what would have been his rookie year. He had played short in the minors. So the move was short to left for a rookie. A move from a more challenging position in the minors to a less demanding one. In the end it didn't happen because he blew out his knee running to first and missed the season. When he came back the next year Pendleton had played out his contract and moved on. That's my recollection anyhow. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

The second (which is more analogous to what Freddie is doing) came after he was already an established star at third.
    I always have viewed the first Chipper to LF experiments as being more related to roster flexibility (especially when the mix was Surhoff/Caminiti/Jones) than anything else. The FO sold the Castilla acquisition, and subsequent full-time move by Chipper to left, as a clear upgrade for the team. It seemed like it could be, on paper, especially offensively, but Castilla grossly underperformed and it became clear that Chipper wasn't ... ideal ... in left. Remember the 2003 NLDS? Chipper injured his hamstring a few months into the 2004 season (when DeRo [who also didn't perform] was at 3rd) and the team decided to bring him back as a 3B.

I personally never understood the logic of putting a guy with bad legs/knees in the OF. Especially for a guy like Castilla.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-30-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Yeah, but you've got to look at this way: if one of Freeman/Adams were to magically 'fit' (I'll leave that open to interpretation) at 3B, who would you rather it be?

This team is ****ty. It can afford to play ****ty. Giving Freeman 5-10 experimental games at 3B ain't gonna hurt anybody.
    I would just rather not have our franchise cornerstone potentially embarrass himself trying to play a position he has no business playing, confidence being as potentially fragile as it can be.

There is just no real upside to it, given that I don't think there's any chance Freeman plays 3B even remotely well.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-30-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

I disagree. Chipper was moving to a less difficult defensive position and actually wasn't that bad out there. He wasn't great, but he wasn't Kemp bad. Freeman is moving to a more difficult position, and his range at 1B would indicate that we already know he can't play it well.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I would just rather not have our franchise cornerstone potentially embarrass himself trying to play a position he has no business playing, confidence being as potentially fragile as it can be.

There is just no real upside to it, given that I don't think there's any chance Freeman plays 3B even remotely well.
    If the only substantial downside is potential damage to Freeman's ego if he fails then I think that just adds more support to the 'no harm, no foul' defense.

I worry about injury, not because the position is any more physically dangerous, but because he's not familiar with paths/angles/footwork etc.
    Last edited by Hawk; 06-30-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I disagree. Chipper was moving to a less difficult defensive position and actually wasn't that bad out there. He wasn't great, but he wasn't Kemp bad. Freeman is moving to a more difficult position, and his range at 1B would indicate that we already know he can't play it well.
    It's a more difficult position, sure, but it's also just across the diamond. The same basic skill set applies. Freeman has the instincts, no doubt. Whether or not he has the range is another story entirely. That being said, wasn't Chipper initially putrid at 3B?

The thing that made CJ's transition to the OF so questionable was his injury history. Those concerns don't come into play with Freeman.