Page 715 of 744 FirstFirst ... 215615665705713714715716717725 ... LastLast
Results 14,281 to 14,300 of 14871

Thread: NBA Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    In 2016, it would've been a nice deal for the Bulls; in 2017, I hate it.

LaVine's a better shooter from range the Rose ever was, but the parallels of a young, athleticism-dependent, emerging-star guard felled by ACL tear are not encouraging. Dunn is a defensive monster, but otherwise terrible—and old, for a player with one season in the league—on a team that really needs a scoring PG (or needs to dump Hoiberg). And not receiving any additional or future picks back—they essentially just traded up, from 16 to 7, to draft a non-star rotation player—for a consensus top-10 two-way NBA talent is just garbage, even considering they need to be garbage for a few years to really rebuild. The cherry on top is that they sold their second-rounder to GSW, and in the aftermath essentially admitted that (a) they don't understand NBA roster rules and (b) did both a terrible and shockingly-cursory job scouting the draft. The front office is in omnishambles, and I have no faith the Bulls will successfully execute a rebuild until John Paxson and Gar Forman are kicked to the curb—which probably won't happen in Jerry Reinsdorf's lifetime.
    He is just a completely different kind of player though. I don't see the need to make the comparison with Rose. Rose was absolutely dependent on his athleticism because his game was attack the basket or pull up jumpers. He could not play off the ball because his shooting was subpar. Lavine is the type of player that doesn't demand the ball and can extend the defense out to the 3 point line which is the most important thing in todays game so your slashers/PG can operate in more space. There is no question the ACL tear is concerning but as he gains experience I am anticipating his shooting continues to improve. He is basically the prototypical 2 guard in todays NBA. Potentially great shooter who can slash off the ball and still playmake on occasion to give your guard a rest.

I won't pretend like I've seen Dunn play a lot but in the few times I came away impressed. I don't think his shooting numbers last year are indicative of the type of shot he will have moving forward. He will never be a gerat shooter or anything but not anyone you can just deliberately play off of. His defense like you mentioned is elite. His playmaking is very good and in the opportunities he had to play with teh first unit last year he excelled. I think he can be an excellent piece moving forward.

I have no clue about the kid drafted.

Either way - I think its a misnomer that a rebuild has to start with trading for the youngest players possible or picks. If Lavine has a great year next year you can convert him into 2-3 pieces. Likewise with Dunn. Then you have a nice pyramid scheme until you get the players you want. The best thing Chicago can do is just play up tempo and inflate the stats of their players.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Either way - I think its a misnomer that a rebuild has to start with trading for the youngest players possible or picks. If Lavine has a great year next year you can convert him into 2-3 pieces. Likewise with Dunn. Then you have a nice pyramid scheme until you get the players you want. The best thing Chicago can do is just play up tempo and inflate the stats of their players.
    The big problem there is that LaVine is a RFA after the 2017-18 season, while being likely to miss up to half of the upcoming season. That makes it very hard to gauge what to do with him, extension-wise, and also very unlikely that he can be converted "into 2-3 pieces" next year.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    The big problem there is that LaVine is a RFA after the 2017-18 season, while being likely to miss up to half of the upcoming season. That makes it very hard to gauge what to do with him, extension-wise, and also very unlikely that he can be converted "into 2-3 pieces" next year.
    As long as this injury doesn't destroy him the Bulls will max lavine or match another offer sheet. The rfa contract will be bargains.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    I really like the trade Utah made for Rubio today. I'm not sure it will be enough to keep Hayward, but it's at least a strong effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I really like the trade Utah made for Rubio today. I'm not sure it will be enough to keep Hayward, but it's at least a strong effort.
    Yea, not great value returning for Minnesota (my new team), but Thibs really didn't see Rubio working in his system, I suppose. Apparently they're looking hard at Lowry.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Paul George traded to... OKC?

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Paul George traded to... OKC?
    Presti gets George basically for the package he got for Ibaka. Well done, OKC.

Always cool to see a blockbuster trade go down that comes out of left field. Never would have guessed he'd land with the Thunder.

And if I'm the Knicks, I'm not buying out Melo. Now that PG is off the board, see if Boston, Cleveland, Houston get desperate.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-30-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Presti gets George basically for the package he got for Ibaka. Well done, OKC.

Always cool to see a blockbuster trade go down that comes out of left field. Never would have guessed he'd land with the Thunder.

And if I'm the Knicks, I'm not buying out Melo. Now that PG is off the board, see if Boston, Cleveland, Houston get desperate.
    Way to go OKC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    The East-to-West talent-drain continues. Unless the Celtics score Hayward, I don't see the flow abating at all this off-season; even then, that would represent a drop in the bucket against Butler, George, and possibly Anthony all heading to the Western Conference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Get why we did the deal. Hate losing Sabonis. If it doesn't work the thunder are going to be bad for 3-5 years when Westbrook and George leave.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    The East-to-West talent-drain continues. Unless the Celtics score Hayward, I don't see the flow abating at all this off-season; even then, that would represent a drop in the bucket against Butler, George, and possibly Anthony all heading to the Western Conference.
    Yeah and potentially Lowry and Millsap will be added to the list. We're running out of playoff teams in the East...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Get why we did the deal. Hate losing Sabonis. If it doesn't work the thunder are going to be bad for 3-5 years when Westbrook and George leave.
    Guess it depends on how highly you rate Sabonis. I personally see him as a role player at best. And I'd argue that getting rid of Oladipo is a worthwhile salary dump.

Indiana did an awful job considering what the Celtics offered before the draft (not to mention last year's trade deadline). Would any GM in the league not trade Oladipo and Sabonis for Jae Crowder and 3 first round picks?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Guess it depends on how highly you rate Sabonis. I personally see him as a role player at best. And I'd argue that getting rid of Oladipo is a worthwhile salary dump.

Indiana did an awful job considering what the Celtics offered before the draft (not to mention last year's trade deadline). Would any GM in the league not trade Oladipo and Sabonis for Jae Crowder and 3 first round picks?
    Eh, I liked oladipo but I do wonder if he could evem be a 2nd player on a championship level team so I don't mind losing him as much. I'm a big fan of sabonis and think he will be a borderline all star on this league. However, you had to make this deal.

Not sure what the pacers are doing.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Yeah and potentially Lowry and Millsap will be added to the list. We're running out of playoff teams in the East...
    It's a broken system and its just another thing that's wrong with the league.

Some western conference team(s) won 45 games and miss out on the playoffs. Some sorry sap team in the east wins 35 and earns a playoff appearance and is then sitting outside the lottery. The imbalanced conferences are getting worse and worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Gordon Hayward hopes to have a decision made by Tuesday or Wednesday. I have no read on where he will end up, but if I were betting I'd say he takes the money in Utah.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-03-2017)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Gordon Hayward hopes to have a decision made by Tuesday or Wednesday. I have no read on where he will end up, but if I were betting I'd say he takes the money in Utah.
    Which is pretty stupid, but clearly he cares for only getting paid and not winning. So just another greedy overpaid person who gets to play a game for a living.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Which is pretty stupid, but clearly he cares for only getting paid and not winning. So just another greedy overpaid person who gets to play a game for a living.
    These guys can't win. If they leave their organization, they're criticized for not being loyal. If they take more money (home or elsewhere) they're greedy. If they join "super team," they are taking the easy way out.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-04-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Minneapolis StarTribune's longtime sports columnist (and generally considered a curmudgeon) Pat Reusse's take on the Rubio trade.

Link: http://www.startribune.com/rubio-nee...eau/431968123/

Like Reusse, I loved Rubio's game, but Thibodeau didn't. I don't follow the NBA as much as I used to as the T-Wolves have been bad for a long time, but Thibodeau strikes me as a kind of know-it-all. I wouldn't be surprised if this is Wiggins' last season in Minnesota as well.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 07-04-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Utah even before getting Rubio might be better than Boston or Miami.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Sorry Chop - You guys were getting real close.
    Natural Immunity Croc