Thread: Braves Acquire Matt Adams From Cardinals

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    [/B]

"I think the issue is not the FO lacking an understanding of what you have pointed out. It is the FO indulging a star player who does not understand the above.
    I'm not sure what you mean to be retorting or proving with that re-quote?

I don't see an implication that the FO thought the idea was "definitively bad", but went ahead anyways. I see an implication that the FO recognized that Matt Adams wasn't an 1.000-OPS player, but went ahead anyways—with the added implication that, perhaps, Freeman's personal enthusiasm for the idea stemmed from his not recognizing that Adams wasn't suddenly a 1.000-OPS player.

I like splitting hairs, but this horse isn't just dead, it's damn bald at this point.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (07-05-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean to be retorting or proving with that re-quote?

I don't see an implication that the FO thought the idea was "definitively bad", but went ahead anyways. I see an implication that the FO recognized that Matt Adams wasn't an 1.000-OPS player, but went ahead anyways—with the added implication that, perhaps, Freeman's personal enthusiasm for the idea stemmed from his not recognizing that Adams wasn't suddenly a 1.000-OPS player.

I like splitting hairs, but this horse isn't just dead, it's damn bald at this point.
    It's stated in plain terms. The front office knew that Adams' performance at 1B was an aberration but indulged Freeman because ... Freeman? If that's the reality how is the disconnect between good baseball decision and bad baseball decision not even a little concerning?

The difference between 'put me in coach' and 'what do you think about this, coach?' is absolutely scrutable. If the FO thought this was a bad decision, on any level, it wouldn't have happened and it wouldn't have had anything to do with maiming Freeman's ego.
    Last edited by Hawk; 07-05-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    It's stated in plain terms. The front office knew that Adams' performance at 1B was an aberration but indulged Freeman because ... Freeman?
    Those terms aren't so plain, since I read them quite differently.

Try this: The front office knew that Adams' performance at 1B was an aberration but indulged Freeman because there was limited risk, during this season, while the reward—even if Adams fell to .800-level OPS production—could nonetheless outweigh the cost of Freeman's downgrading the defense at third, given other current 3B options within the system. If it doesn't work, Freeman's indulged, Adams is right back to where he started the year (on the bench/trade-block), and the 2017 Braves are still a team that sits a hair to the bad side of mediocre.

(My objection to the whole experiment, for what it's worth, is there's no reward to be had—so any risk, however small, is silly. Adams isn't a long-term piece, to my mind, and I think the team should be tanking for one more season, anyways.)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Those terms aren't so plain, since I read them quite differently.

Try this: The front office knew that Adams' performance at 1B was an aberration but indulged Freeman because there was limited risk, during this season, while the reward—even if Adams fell to .800-level OPS production—could nonetheless outweigh the cost of Freeman's downgrading the defense at third, given other current 3B options within the system. If it doesn't work, Freeman's indulged, Adams is right back to where he started the year (on the bench/trade-block), and the 2017 Braves are still a team that sits a hair to the bad side of mediocre.

(My objection to the whole experiment, for what it's worth, is there's no reward to be had—so any risk, however small, is silly. Adams isn't a long-term piece, to my mind, and I think the team should be tanking for one more season, anyways.)
    You read them, and then you jump off on a tangent of your own logic (which I agree with, more or less, except for a few points [such as there being no reward] ... but, another time).

If he meant what you wrote, then, as you said, he could clarify ... but I feel like the absence of clarification kind of supports my interpretation.

Anyways, I'm content on putting this to bed as an unsolved mystery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    You read them, and then you jump off on a tangent of your own logic (which I agree with, more or less, except for a few points [such as there being no reward] ... but, another time).

If he meant what you wrote, then, as you said, he could clarify ... but I feel like the absence of clarification kind of supports my interpretation.

You guys should be Talmudic scholars. Anyhow what is it I'm supposed to clarify. I think the FO knows better than to give too much weight to Adams small sample hot streak. I think Freddie probably is giving too much weight to it. I don't think the FO thinks Fredito to third is a good idea. They probably think it is a bad idea. But they don't see tremendous downside to trying it. So they are willing to indulge him.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    You guys should be Talmudic scholars. Anyhow what is it I'm supposed to clarify. I think the FO knows better than to give too much weight to Adams small sample hot streak. I think Freddie probably is giving too much weight to it. I don't think the FO thinks Fredito to third is a good idea. They probably think it is a bad idea. But they don't see tremendous downside to trying it. So they are willing to indulge him.
    You should have put an apostrophe after Adams'.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-28-2017), jpx7 (07-05-2017)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You should have put an apostrophe after Adams'.
    Um...

Never mind. This thread is already too weird.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I know a couple of ways to make it weirder.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-05-2017), Tapate50 (07-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts

Nonsense - I'm getting Robert Stack on the horn

Ivermectin Man

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-06-2017)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Heard from Bowman that Freeman said, "Play me or trade me, I'm not sitting behind Matt Adams."

Gave Bowman a hot dog for the hot info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    You guys should be Talmudic scholars.
    Hawk and I actually tour as Les Maimonidoi.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (07-06-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Guy at TalkingChop wrote an article about Adams saying exactly what I've been saying for weeks...literally. Almost word for word, stat by stat.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2017/7/6...tand-up-braves

Seems folks are starting to catch on to reality.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    It's stated in plain terms. The front office knew that Adams' performance at 1B was an aberration but indulged Freeman because ... Freeman? If that's the reality how is the disconnect between good baseball decision and bad baseball decision not even a little concerning?

The difference between 'put me in coach' and 'what do you think about this, coach?' is absolutely scrutable. If the FO thought this was a bad decision, on any level, it wouldn't have happened and it wouldn't have had anything to do with maiming Freeman's ego.
    Other decisions have been made with Freeman's direct input (i.e. the urgent need to acquire Olivera, the Snitker hiring, at least). So, at the very least, the org is going to seek his buy-in to sell an idea in the clubhouse. To be even more accurate, it's demonstrating quite clearly that this is to be Freeman's team.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Other decisions have been made with Freeman's direct input (i.e. the urgent need to acquire Olivera, the Snitker hiring, at least). So, at the very least, the org is going to seek his buy-in to sell an idea in the clubhouse. To be even more accurate, it's demonstrating quite clearly that this is to be Freeman's team.
    I agree with this, I just don't believe that Freeman can (or would) force the FO's hand on an operational/personnel decision.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (07-07-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Nonsense - I'm getting Robert Stack on the horn

I have two seasons (the old Stack episodes) of this on my tablet right now. One of my guilty pleasures.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Matt Adams' OPS values...

Career: .786
    April 2017: .657
    May 2017: .813
    June 2017: 1.034
    July 2017: .783

One of these things is not like the other....one of these things is not the same...

Who still thinks Smada has increased his trade value since joining the Braves?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I believe his psyche has been damaged by coming off the bench.

HR/FB rate at 19% though, which is still hanging in closer to his career high than his career average. You go Matt.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Freeman is just like LeBron. Only white and kind of goofy-looking.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

If Adams gets that many hits in this series with the Phillies he all but guarantees himself an .850 OPS going into August.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Matt Adams' OPS values...

Career: .786
    April 2017: .657
    May 2017: .813
    June 2017: 1.034
    July 2017: .783

One of these things is not like the other....one of these things is not the same...

Who still thinks Smada has increased his trade value since joining the Braves?
    You are right. The April OPS is the only one that is below the major league average. That's what you meant, right?