Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Wage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Isn't it a shame that decency has to be legislated ?

If a person can't pay a living wage (regulated living wage) he / she has no business being in business.
    Forced or unforced

Shall we talk about personal responsibility and the origins of the minimum wage?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    What is it if it's not forced. You are not giving an option to employers to pay under a certain threshold.
    Of course you are. You're giving them the option to not hire people and/or automate.

Now you wait, once they force through min wage increases and employment suffers welface increases, they'll probably try to force regulations on businesses to NOT allow them to automate or to fire people.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-28-2017)

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Isn't it a shame that decency has to be legislated ?

If a person can't pay a living wage (regulated living wage) he / she has no business being in business.
    Forced or unforced

Shall we talk about personal responsibility and the origins of the minimum wage?

You really want to go down the "origins of the minimum wage " road? There's a large history (in this country and abroad) of groups pushing for minimum wages to price minorities/disadvantaged groups out of the labor market.

I fundamentally disagree that every potential job should only exist if it can pay a "living wage," whatever that is.

This min wage concept is just a poor anti poverty tool and I'm convinced it only still exists because it is politically expedient and easily consumed by a largely economically ignorant public.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-06-2017), sturg33 (06-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    LOLGOP‏ @LOLGOP

Make a conservative explain why it makes sense that CEO wages have risen almost 1000% since 1978 but the minimum wage has only gone up $4.65

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    LOLGOP‏ @LOLGOP

Make a conservative explain why it makes sense that CEO wages have risen almost 1000% since 1978 but the minimum wage has only gone up $4.65
    Thanks for the misleading statistic! I love how CEOs increase in %, while min wage is represented in dollars. If we adjust for equality then min wage is 250% of what it was in 1979.

So, if you want to start with honest numbers, I'm happy to take stab.

CEOs have invested in new technology and driven new strategy that has increased profits more than 1,000%

Min wage workers have not increased their value by 2X... though they are getting compensated as such. They are providing the same value they were 40 years ago, but we have risen their pay thanks to new wealth being created by innovators and technology.

And that's not even touching on the concept of quantitative easing and interest rates, which the left will never understand so no purpose in explaining (hint: CEO pay is tied to stock prices; stock prices are tied to easy money)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    St. Louis of dropping minimum wage from $10.00 to $7.70 because it's costing people jobs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    St. Louis of dropping minimum wage from $10.00 to $7.70 because it's costing people jobs
    Yep. They were scheduled to raise it $11 in January, but have decided to go backwards after the economic development.

Baltimore considering a similar move.

But please lefties, keep telling me how heartless I am for not wanting to see more people get fired

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Yep. They were scheduled to raise it $11 in January, but have decided to go backwards after the economic development.

But please lefties, keep telling me how heartless I am for not wanting to see more people get fired
    I've consistently maintained that legislated minimum-wage increases can't succeed absent other social-supports growth and policy reforms. It's the same issue I have with UBI: I'm in favor of it if it's not meant to be a solitary cure-all, but otherwise I think it's a distraction from more important steps.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Your post is misleading
    The Republican legislature and Republican Governor have decided to go backwards.
    There really was no "they". A rather unilateral decision prompted by special interest pressure

The $10/hr rate was installed in May. By July 1 the law was deemed unworkable.
    More to the point is (R) business men threatened to quit funding Missouri (R) pols.

An economic trend established in less than 30 days.
    Say the restaurateur has 4 workers making minimum wage.
    In an 8 hour day that would be a whopping $16 per worker in wages and perhaps another $4 in overhead.
    $80 per day for 4 workers

Let's do math -- if you add $.50 per hamburger that would be over 160 fast food hamburgers. Or perhaps a dinner?
    Add $1.50 per plate.
    I am sure between the businesss owner sharing the wealth and the slight rise in prices this is very doable.

As far as the business owner losing business, who is he losing it to? Not the diner across the street because they are incurring the same labor rate. Perhaps the grocery store since people are eating at home, where they too would have their share of minimum wage earners and pick up the "lost business"

It is a really large Mom and Pop restaurant that would have 4 minimum wage workers
    Just sayin
    Last edited by 57Brave; 07-06-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The number I saw was McDonalds would have to raise the price of a Big Mac $0.17 to accommodate a $15.00 hr minimum wage.

The City of St Louis passed the Ordinance -- the state politically over rode the local ordinance
    A history of the struggle to get the rate raised

https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/governmen...ill-signed.cfm
    Last edited by 57Brave; 07-06-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The concept of preemption laws has been around for years, but they’ve become increasingly popular in GOP-controlled states as more cities and counties have tried to raise the minimum wage. Business groups have struggled to blunt local wage legislation and referendums, but they’ve had better luck convincing Republican state legislators to block them from the state capitol.

St. Louis is one of the more glaring case studies, since the wage floor will now sink lower due to a state law. But at least 17 states have preemption laws that stand in the way of local minimum wage legislation, according to a recent study by the National League of Cities.

The concept of premption is spread by ALEC. Anyone fromthe old board will remember how ALEC ws instrumental in Gov Rick Scott refusing Federal money earmarked for high speed rail in couth and central Florida

Any guess who is behind ALEC ?
    Last edited by 57Brave; 07-06-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    this comment:

jeremybloom Mister Gloom
    Jul 06 · 03:32:04 PM

It’s simple.

If the Federal government preempts the states, that’s a “Tyrranical over-reaching power-grab that imposes job-killing regulations.”

If the States preempt cities, that’s a sensible framework that prevents a “patchwork of regulatory burdens on businesses.”

Got it? :D

Besides, a erson working a job in a metropolitan area can not afford transportation to their minimum wage job at it's current rate.
    I probably exagerated there but you get my point.
    Going back to last election on the topic of Min Wage I became in favor of localities setting the rate.
    Use the example of NY state. The cost of living in the city obviously is much higher than apple country. A dollar in Manhattan is worth less than a dollar upstate.
    Last edited by 57Brave; 07-06-2017 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Since earlier in this thread, you admitted that lower total income should not mean we shouldn't raise minimum wage, it's very difficult to take any opinion you hold seriously

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    You really want to go down the "origins of the minimum wage " road? There's a large history (in this country and abroad) of groups pushing for minimum wages to price minorities/disadvantaged groups out of the labor market.

I fundamentally disagree that every potential job should only exist if it can pay a "living wage," whatever that is.

This min wage concept is just a poor anti poverty tool and I'm convinced it only still exists because it is politically expedient and easily consumed by a largely economically ignorant public.
    I actually agree with the first and third paragraphs—plenty of historical support for the former, while I think ease of consumption (not to mention political expediency) is indeed a big reason legislated minimum-wage increases are advanced over superior, longer-lasting anti-poverty and economic justice initiatives.

I obviously disagree with the middle paragraph, since I believe the function of modern social organization (as expressed through governmental institutions) should be to ensure the basic well-being of each and every citizen.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (07-07-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    The number I saw was McDonalds would have to raise the price of a Big Mac $0.17 to accommodate a $15.00 hr minimum wage.

The City of St Louis passed the Ordinance -- the state politically over rode the local ordinance
    A history of the struggle to get the rate raised

https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/governmen...ill-signed.cfm
    Did the person who provided you that number tell you how much demand MCD would lose by raising their price 17 cents? One would think if they could do so without consequence, they wouldn't wait for a min wage hike, they would do it now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I actually agree with the first and third paragraphs—plenty of historical support for the former, while I think ease of consumption (not to mention political expediency) is indeed a big reason legislated minimum-wage increases are advanced over superior, longer-lasting anti-poverty and economic justice initiatives.

I obviously disagree with the middle paragraph, since I believe the function of modern social organization (as expressed through governmental institutions) should be to ensure the basic well-being of each and every citizen.
    I think there is a place for part-time jobs, or for jobs where the primary benefit to the employee is building skills as much as it is the wage paid (i.e. teenagers taking entry level fast food or retail jobs). I don't think those people are made better off if they lose those opportunities because they were priced out of the market.

As an antipovety tool, I believe the min wage is too scattershot to be effective. At least with something like the EITC, assistance is targeted to those who it is intended for, without disincentivzing employment. (Not necessarily endorsing it, just saying there are better potential options out there). I think the costs to the min wage are generally borne by those who the legislation is supposedly intending to help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Did the person who provided you that number tell you how much demand MCD would lose by raising their price 17 cents? One would think if they could do so without consequence, they wouldn't wait for a min wage hike, they would do it now.
    Get your logic outta here!

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Get your logic outta here!
    You so realize you are talking about 57, the board's known idiot troll right? He has no common sense nor logic coursing through his moribund brain. He has his talking points he rehash here over and over and over and over ad nauseum.

You also know he scours any #LOLGOP tweets for anything so he can rush it to the board and honestly think we take that as source of news. Pathetic really. Also he bold things wanting to show his ignorance as well. People here aren't death nor blind. A truly pathetic individual going on 5 years straight.

Democrats should pick a better representative for this board because he is a moron and a one trick pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    In the past 10 days gasoline has fluctuated between $ 2.25 and $2.03 and my guess is people didn't stop buying gas.

My.other notion is more gallons of gas are sold per day than Big Macs.
    Without blinking an eye the (x) cent increase is absorbed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    In the past 10 days gasoline has fluctuated between $ 2.25 and $2.03 and my guess is people didn't stop buying gas.

My.other notion is more gallons of gas are sold per day than Big Macs.
    Without blinking an eye the (x) cent increase is absorbed
    What's the alternative to gas?
    Natural Immunity Croc