Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    A couple months of Chapman brought back Gleyber Torres. What you listed may be appropriate value, but there's no way you're actually getting Machado for that.
    Then I wouldn't trade for him. Simple as that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Then I wouldn't trade for him. Simple as that.
    We're certainly agreed on that. It's called a contender's premium for a reason. And we ain't no contender.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    We're certainly agreed on that. It's called a contender's premium for a reason. And we ain't no contender.
    We are talking about 2 different trade scenarios I think.

Getting him now will cost $65M+ in surplus value. Getting him this offseason will cost "only" $35M+ in surplus value.

My trade proposals were trying to acquire him in the offseason. Add another Top 50 guy to my proposal if the Braves want him now.

Trading for Machado now would be asinine. However, trading for him this offseason would be controversial, but defensible if you think the Braves can win 85+ games with him. If the Braves were to acquire Machado this offsason without giving up anyone slated to play a role in 2018, I think they would make themselves the WC favorite in the NL.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-18-2017 at 11:44 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    We are talking about 2 different trade scenarios I think.

Getting him now will cost $65M+ in surplus value. Getting him this offseason will cost "only" $35M+ in surplus value.

My trade proposals were trying to acquire him in the offseason. Add another Top 50 guy to my proposal if the Braves want him now.

Trading for Machado now would be asinine. However, trading for him this offseason would be controversial, but defensible if you think the Braves can win 85+ games with him. If the Braves were to acquire Machado this offsason without giving up anyone slated to play a role in 2018, I think they would make themselves the WC favorite in the NL.
    Gotcha, ok. Yeah, I thought you were talking about now since I was under the impression that's what was initially proposed.

I don't think trading for Machado now or later makes any sense. Even if we think we can compete in 2018, you're going to pay more of a premium for a guy like Machado who is considered one of the elites. Baltimore fans would riot if they traded him for a package where Allard or Soroka were the headliner. Also, you pay a contender's premium at the deadline, but it's tough to pry guys like that away in the offseason as well because teams are always more inclined to think they have a shot to win.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I would probably prefer to see the Braves acquire a lesser player for 3+ years to cover 3B until Maitan is ready.

As of right now, I think I want Todd Frazier on a 3-4 year deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Frazier would be very interesting. I would be on board with that, provided you're not paying more than about $15 million/year for him. I think you'll get pretty good years out of him in 2018 and 2019 and then perhaps not much after that. But Maitan could be threatening by some point in 2020, and who knows if Riley can put it together enough to be a stopgap option.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I would probably prefer to see the Braves acquire a lesser player for 3+ years to cover 3B until Maitan is ready.

As of right now, I think I want Todd Frazier on a 3-4 year deal.
    what about Moran from Houston? He's got to be on the 40 man now. 24. Blocked by a bunch of people. Left handed bat is coming back around. He'd be a solid 3B IMO. Range is not good but he'd be the best defensive 3B we've had since Chipper...low bar I know.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    what about Moran from Houston? He's got to be on the 40 man now. 24. Blocked by a bunch of people. Left handed bat is coming back around. He'd be a solid 3B IMO. Range is not good but he'd be the best defensive 3B we've had since Chipper...low bar I know.
    I would imagine the Astros are probably looking to deal him now that he's gotten some value back. I don't really view him as a potential answer. He's probably a 1-2 win guy at absolute best, but it may be worth it if you're not giving up much to get him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Moran should be cheap. Taking up a spot but blocked. Not even the top 23+ y/o minor league 1B. I think he can hit and not be a liability on D.

Use the money you save going on a rookie at 3B to eat Kemp's money and ship Kemp off to be a DH for 2/10.....we eat 26 million over 2 years.

Inciarte
    Acuna----this is too early for me, I'd play Dustin Peterson but Coppy seems to be going this way
    FF
    Moran
    Flowers
    Neck-------to be replaced by Peterson or Acuna later in the year
    Swanson
    P
    Albies.......I'd probably go with a combo of SRod and Comargo at 2B for a while.

Even with the stupid money to Kemp and Neck you've got a cheap team. You could spend some money on high annual value pitching to avoid long term commitments.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    He seems like Rio Ruiz to me. A .900 OPS as a 24 year old in the PCL (one of the best hitter's league there is) probably doesn't translate that well to the MLB level.

If the Braves want to push for a WC spot in 2018 they need to fix 3B. That means acquiring a guy we can confidently project to post 2+ WAR over there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-18-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Smoot.. I remember the Soler for JT threads. Man what a disappointment he is. I still can't believe the Royals gave away one of the best closers straight up for him. It is like these teams trading BP guys forget that the market is way skewed for relievers right now.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I would imagine the Astros are probably looking to deal him now that he's gotten some value back. I don't really view him as a potential answer. He's probably a 1-2 win guy at absolute best, but it may be worth it if you're not giving up much to get him.
    That's my thought....Give me a solid 1-2 win guy for cheap for 4 years. Then you can deal him later. Maybe Riley is good. IF not 4-5 years in Maitan is likely ready when he gets expensive.

Same thing with Dustin Peterson. I think he can be a close to 2 win guy for cheap. Let's do that for 3-4 years and then see if we can get better.

2 wins at LF or 3B would be amazing given what we've had recently....and it should keep the budget in tact.

I just don't trust the FA deals to 30 y/o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Smoot.. I remember the Soler for JT threads. Man what a disappointment he is. I still can't believe the Royals gave away one of the best closers straight up for him. It is like these teams trading BP guys forget that the market is way skewed for relievers right now.
    I wanted to deal Ender for Soler and play Mallex in center. Glad I wasn't in charge there. Soler is a guy that oozes talent and if he could put it together would be awesome. But I don't see that happening

15. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-18-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I can remember when everyone was all agog over Soler. Another Cuban dud.
    Has been heating up recently though. If he ever got close to his ceiling, he, Ender, and Acuna could make one *ell of an OF trio, and if Dozier gets back to form following a lost season this year that would be a pretty nice late 2018 lineup with Freddie moving to the cleanup spot behind Ender, Albies, and Acuna and plenty of thump behind him in Soler and Dozier.

Really was just stretching things in an attempt to see if they possibly have enough to make a Julio deal feasible - and not sure that they do. Personally would lean more towards asking for Dozier, Seuly Matias, Kahlil Lee, and Viloria if I was on Coppy's end of the line.
    Last edited by clvclv; 07-18-2017 at 01:15 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    There was quite a bit of injury concern with Davis when that deal was made. I agree with what you said, but the Royals also wanted to get something for him before his elbow fell off.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Frankly, a best-case scenario for Soler at this point is probably something close to current Matt Kemp. So that ain't good.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Frankly, a best-case scenario for Soler at this point is probably something close to current Matt Kemp. So that ain't good.
    Probably a bit better defensively, but only because you can put him in RF. I don't think he will ever be the offensive player Kemp has been. About the only Cuban import that interests me is cigars.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    That's my thought....Give me a solid 1-2 win guy for cheap for 4 years. Then you can deal him later. Maybe Riley is good. IF not 4-5 years in Maitan is likely ready when he gets expensive.

Same thing with Dustin Peterson. I think he can be a close to 2 win guy for cheap. Let's do that for 3-4 years and then see if we can get better.

2 wins at LF or 3B would be amazing given what we've had recently....and it should keep the budget in tact.

I just don't trust the FA deals to 30 y/o
    The Braves already have a guy in the system they can take a chance on being a cheap 1-2 win guy at 3B...his name is Rio Ruiz. I see no reason to believe Moran will prove to be any better than Ruiz.

If the Braves are serious about trying to win 85+ games and competing for a WC spot next year, it's time to fix 3B. The options are out there, and the resources are there to acquire one of those options. Enough "seeing what they have" with fringe pieces.

Fix 3B.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Roe traded to Rays for cash. Probably doesn't deserve its own thread.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    The Braves aren't going to win a bidding war for Manny Machado.
    Who is to say it would be one?

Machado is incredible but how many teams will empty the farm for 1 year of him and hope to re-sign him.

Which is why im not sure the O's would have a ton of leverage assuming he balked at an extension with the O's. They'd certainly get back some good pieces but the 1 yr of control hurts.