Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Garcia being traded to Twins

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Reading between the lines on the news from the various beat writers last night . . . seems like the trade was agreed upon, Twins had some concerns about Garcia's medicals and asked the Braves for more money, and now the teams are back to a negotiating state.

If the return is meh, just say screw it and let Garcia pitch tonight. If he pitches well vs 2 playoffs teams in a row, we might can get a better prospect. If he bombs tonight, yeah, that wouldn't be so good.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Looking at Minnesota's schedule, if the trade is finalized today, Jaime would have to fly to Minnesota today.....just to fly back to Los Angeles on Sunday night for when the Twins visit the Dodgers from Monday - Wednesday. Unless, of course, the Twins just say stay put in Los Angeles and be ready to start on Tuesday in Colon's place.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    It's funny looking at records and standings, but if the deal is done, Garcia is only going to a team that would be 2 games better than Atlanta -- yet the Twins are 0.5 out of 1st in their division, and 1 game/2 games out of either WC spot yet Atlanta is 11 games out of division and 8.5 games out of either WC spot. Obviously, Minnesota has played a tougher schedule even though their division is junk like the NL East.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    It's funny looking at records and standings, but if the deal is done, Garcia is only going to a team that would be 2 games better than Atlanta -- yet the Twins are 0.5 out of 1st in their division, and 1 game/2 games out of either WC spot yet Atlanta is 11 games out of division and 8.5 games out of either WC spot. Obviously, Minnesota has played a tougher schedule even though their division is junk like the NL East.
    Both Central Divisions are having oddly compressed races. Last year's league champions aren't playing well and while it looks like the Cubs may be righting the ship and the Brewers starting to sink, the Indians continue to scuffle. Twins are a very odd team. Sano is awesome and Dozier--while hit-or-miss--drives mistakes out of the park, but the rest of the team is this odd melange of guys. I thought they'd make a move for a short-term answer at SS, but they seem set on Polanco. Good 1-2 punch on the mound with Santana and Berrios, but nothing solid after that and what I think is a shaky bullpen. Maybe they are angling for us to expand the deal and throw in Vizcaino. Trouble is--and rico disagrees with me--I don't see much in the Twins' minor leagues I would want outside of their top four--Gordon, Gonsalves, Romero, and Kirilloff--and those guys aren't going anywhere. One guy I would be interested in is Lewin Diaz, a 20-year-old 1B who the Twins signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2014 for $1.4 million. He's been a slow riser in their system, but has some power projection.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    twins-braves still working on finalizing jaime garcia trade. for the moment he is scheduled to start tonite for braves in LA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    So is it smart of the Twins to go for a rental?
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If the return is meh, just say screw it and let Garcia pitch tonight. If he pitches well vs 2 playoffs teams in a row, we might can get a better prospect. If he bombs tonight, yeah, that wouldn't be so good.
    What's the medical concern over a couple of months? His past is documented. He's pitching well now. I don't think they'd consider a QO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Get the feeling this deal has fallen through.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    So is it smart of the Twins to go for a rental?
    Twins currently have Bartolo Colon in their starting rotation. Does that answer your question? They aren't doing it with smoke and mirrors, but they may be doing it with chewing gum and baling wire. They are going to need a bit more pitching to make the playoffs and certainly to compete if in the playoffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Bowman says the hold up isn't medicals, but agreement on players and money sent.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Bowman says the hold up isn't medicals, but agreement on players and money sent.
    That's pretty horrible reporting then -- reporting a deal as done before the players and money were agreed upon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    If we can get a decent prospect, the FO is stupid if money is their hold up.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    That's pretty horrible reporting then -- reporting a deal as done before the players and money were agreed upon.
    He was just giving us reason to believe.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

CJ9 (07-21-2017), Tapate50 (07-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    In Bowman's defense, a number of more notable national writers were also reporting the deal was all but done.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I mean....what is there "besides" that to agree on lol?? I don't think reporters jumped the gun, I think one side balked near the end, tried to tweek the terms and the other side said no.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    This is about the most utterly wrong post fitty has ever made. Their system has gold throughout it, but they a) have had key injuries and b) promoted guys too quickly at time. Burdi and Tyler Jay are both out for season; Gonsalves has been unhittable at times the last two seasons, Garver is a better catcher than anything in the Braves system right now. THey have taken three different pitchers from AA to the majors this season. Slow white guys, sure, but a bunch of their black guys are pretty slow, too.
    Non-pitcher I wish they good gete is Lamonte Wade, lefty hitting OF in AA. This year and throughout his career, has shown power and average while walking more than he strikes out.

Would personally be more than happy with either - but would love Garver.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I mean....what is there "besides" that to agree on lol?? I don't think reporters jumped the gun, I think one side balked near the end, tried to tweek the terms and the other side said no.
    Bowman said they want to free up money in the search for a controllable starter.......I was excited about this trade. Now it fills me with dread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I have reason to believe Bowman's source for this info is highly motivated to get the word out that the hold-up isn't related to medicals.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-21-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Mark Feinsand
    @Feinsand
    Source: Jaime Garcia to the Twins is not a done deal. In fact, source said other teams are still talking to the Braves about Garcia.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Mark Feinsand
    @Feinsand
    Source: Jaime Garcia to the Twins is not a done deal. In fact, source said other teams are still talking to the Braves about Garcia.
    THE PLOT THICKENS