Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: Garcia being traded to Twins

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I just have a sick feeling we are about to do something stupid. I was so relieved when Quintana was dealt.
    to be fair you've been saying this for weeks

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    no sure if this has been posted or not...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...4eMOtbS1p56.97

"The younger brother of White Sox righthander Michael Ynoa, Huascar received an $800,000 bonus from the Twins in 2014. Not nearly as tall as his 6-foot-7 brother, Ynoa is still a strong 6-foot-3, 221-pounds. Ynoa’s best trait is a big fastball that has been up to 96 mph this season. He has a developing slider up to 84 mph and changeup that is a work in progress. If Ynoa can harness his command he could be a starter, but scouts are mixed on whether he starts or relieves going forward. As usual with the Braves, they are gambling on a live arm with a high ceiling but significant risk."

A couple interesting notes from the write up;

- 6-3 / 220 that's pretty good size for a 19 year old, maybe that's why we've heard he's seen an uptick in velo
    - Fastball up to 96 this year
    Wasn't Michael Ynoa a big time signing at the time?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    to be fair you've been saying this for weeks
    I hope I'm wrong...boy....would I love to be wrong, but we will know this week. I just think Coppy is determined to move up our contention window. It is possible, but it will come with a HIGH cost. I am not a fan of getting Gray at the cost it will take.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    yuge
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    What's not surprising?

The sudden pimping of Ynoa by Braves fans haha.
    I'm just posting what BA wrote about him; sounds like he's filled out the frame and the fastball has gotten faster. Those are good things right?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Yes. Signed with the A's for $4.25 million in 2008. Generally considered one of the top guys in the international pool for that signing period. Had TJS early in his career and had some other nagging injuries. I don't buy the "there's no such thing as a pitching prospect (TNSTAAPP)," but they can be risky investments.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    According to whom???

"Lower half" is all relative to a point - the Braves are spending more money this season than the Marlins (with Stanton's deal), the Diamondbacks, the Pirates, and the Brewers (who are dead last BTW) amongst the "contenders". Taking on Verlander's contract would suddenly bump them to right behind the Cardinals, and the Royals', Mets', and probably Orioles' payrolls are likely to fall behind the Braves as they start purging vets at the deadline or over the winter.
    Of course it's true that if the Braves take on more salaries they will move up on these lists, what point are you proving?

I'm stating that it's disappointing that we traded Jaime's contract so that it's easier to absorb a young controllable starter's salary. At a payroll that's 30 million less than league average, I would hope we wouldn't have to do that.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Of course it's true that if the Braves take on more salaries they will move up on these lists, what point are you proving?

I'm stating that it's disappointing that we traded Jaime's contract so that it's easier to absorb a young controllable starter's salary. At a payroll that's 30 million less than league average, I would hope we wouldn't have to do that.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

Just pointing out that it appears the brass' plan at this point is to "solve" 3B with money this winter. If you add a controllable SP on the cheap, they can just throw money at a Moustakas or Frazier. Then that window to compete opens a lot quicker. Spending the money on veteran pitching this year did exactly what it was designed to do - buy the development time for our back of the rotation guys so that money could be spent to fill the couple of holes where we have no immediate answers.

Gray/Folty/Julio/Dickey/Newcomb, Wisler, Sims with Ender, Albies, Freddie, Kemp, Moustakas, Flowers, Markakis, Swanson/Camargo is suddenly a legitimate contender as early as next season with Acuna/Wright/Soroka/Allard knocking on the door to potentially provide a big second half boost.

If (obviously as yet to be determined) they're serious about being in the Top 10 in payrolls moving forward and go get that inexpensive SP, you could even potentially add a 3B and Wade Davis next year. I'd imagine the outlook for that team would be quite different than what the 2018 outlook is as of today.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts

"The younger brother of White Sox righthander Michael Ynoa, Huascar received an $800,000 bonus from the Twins in 2014. Not nearly as tall as his 6-foot-7 brother, Ynoa is still a strong 6-foot-3, 221-pounds. Ynoa’s best trait is a big fastball that has been up to 96 mph this season. He has a developing slider up to 84 mph and changeup that is a work in progress. If Ynoa can harness his command he could be a starter, but scouts are mixed on whether he starts or relieves going forward. As usual with the Braves, they are gambling on a live arm with a high ceiling but significant risk."

- 6-3 / 220 that's pretty good size for a 19 year old, maybe that's why we've heard he's seen an uptick in velo
    Derpy Pozzies at BA are clueless
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Just pointing out that it appears the brass' plan at this point is to "solve" 3B with money this winter. If you add a controllable SP on the cheap, they can just throw money at a Moustakas or Frazier. Then that window to compete opens a lot quicker. Spending the money on veteran pitching this year did exactly what it was designed to do - buy the development time for our back of the rotation guys so that money could be spent to fill the couple of holes where we have no immediate answers.

Gray/Folty/Julio/Dickey/Newcomb, Wisler, Sims with Ender, Albies, Freddie, Kemp, Moustakas, Flowers, Markakis, Swanson/Camargo is suddenly a legitimate contender as early as next season with Acuna/Wright/Soroka/Allard knocking on the door to potentially provide a big second half boost.

If (obviously as yet to be determined) they're serious about being in the Top 10 in payrolls moving forward and go get that inexpensive SP, you could even potentially add a 3B and Wade Davis next year. I'd imagine the outlook for that team would be quite different than what the 2018 outlook is as of today.
    I don't see how any of what you said is based on any sort of track record or evidence. Trading Garcia's contract directly contradicts your point.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

Ynoa is a roll of the dice, but it's not like he's a guy who just fell out of the sky. It would have been nice to get someone closer to the big leagues, but it doesn't appear that the market was there for Garcia. I wonder what the offers from other organizations looked like.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Ynoa is a roll of the dice, but it's not like he's a guy who just fell out of the sky. It would have been nice to get someone closer to the big leagues, but it doesn't appear that the market was there for Garcia. I wonder what the offers from other organizations looked like.
    Well, they were probably other FV 40 guys...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

6'3, 220? Why that's NBA Power Forward sized : )

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    6'3, 220? Why that's NBA Power Forward sized : )
    Haha well played Chip.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Ariel
    3:22 Sonny Gray has a start today. You think A's sit him down in case of any trades?

Steve Adams
    3:24 Only if they're in pretty advanced talks at the time the start is nearing. Otherwise I expect him to make the outing. Even if he gets rocked for 5-6 runs, it's not going to impact his value as long there's no injury at play. The notion that one great or bad start can alter a player's trade value is utter nonsense. Some tried to suggest that Jaime Garcia's two starts prior to his trade "really increased his trade value," and he was (predictably) dealt for an underwhelming return.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Additionally, this trade was yet another example of the Braves giving up future value in favor of "win now" assets. They could have paid Garcia's salary and gotten a better return, but instead they chose to save money to spend on additions this year.

This has been a disturbing trend that has occurred frequently during the rebuild.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Additionally, this trade was yet another example of the Braves giving up future value in favor of "win now" assets. They could have paid Garcia's salary and gotten a better return, but instead they chose to save money to spend on additions this year.

This has been a disturbing trend that has occurred frequently during the rebuild.

Agree.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts

Could have just been "pay his salary for a different 40 FV guy that is at a higher level" that we would still all complain about. Don't know if 4 million pushes us up to 45.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

Maybe. Or it could be scouting that they liked this guy.

I think Coppy has earned a pass on small deals. I think he's batting 1000 on little deals. Coppy making big deals or signing free agents has me scared. Coppy turning nothing much into something interesting I like the track record.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura's Stolen Bases View Post
    Could have just been "pay his salary for a different 40 FV guy that is at a higher level" that we would still all complain about. Don't know if 4 million pushes us up to 45.
    Oh I definitely agree it wasn't much future value lost, but it is something that has consistently been done with the bulk of the trades during this rebuild.