Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 June Draft Results Thread

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Curious about today. Rounds 11 through 20 could be interesting. I'm guessing there will be a flyer or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I have to say the reports on him have been GLOWING since we selected him. Really like the pick.

One of those tweets said we were on Randolph before he was tabbed in front of us.

Would have liked to see Chalmers later on as well.
    Would be great to have our own Bumgarner.
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    What kind of strategy do you have in mind?
    I would still be focusing on high upside hitters... And take a few college pitchers here and there. You listed a whole bunch of players that we've taken and none of them were anything more than replacement level other than Medlen.

I'd like to find the Kris Medlen of position players

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I would still be focusing on high upside hitters... And take a few college pitchers here and there. You listed a whole bunch of players that we've taken and none of them were anything more than replacement level other than Medlen.

Jordan Edgerton
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

You might find it interesting to randomly pick a round in the 4-10 range from a few years ago and see how many players get taken make to the majors. Very few. And the HS players taken in those rounds do not produce a higher yield than the college players. Baseballcube is a nice website for looking at past drafts. Here's a link to the 7th round of the 2010 draft to get you started.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/draft...&Throws=&Sort=

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Btw, we have taken 22 HS hitters in the rounds 4-10 since 1995. Exactly 2 of them have made the majors (Romak and Aldridge). Both scrubs. That's a very poor yield. Worse than the yield for he HS pitchers we've taken in those rounds. Which in turn has been worse than the yield for college hitters we've taken. Which in turn is worse than the yield for college pitchers.

This is not to say we should avoid taking HS players in this portion of the draft. We should take some. But not as many as college players.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Diesel (06-10-2015), Tapate50 (06-10-2015), weso1 (06-10-2015), zedsdead (06-10-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Btw, we have taken 22 HS hitters in the rounds 4-10 since 1995. Exactly 2 of them have made the majors (Romak and Aldridge). Both scrubs. That's a very poor yield. Worse than the yield for he HS pitchers we've taken in those rounds. Which in turn has been worse than the yield for college hitters we've taken. Which in turn is worse than the yield for college pitchers.

This is not to say we should avoid taking HS players in this portion of the draft. We should take some. But not as many as college players.
    Thanks, very informative.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Jordan Edgerton
    Joey Terdoslavich.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think a lot of folks are aware of that rico, but you basically have to save $900,000 from your first ten picks to give someone drafted after the 10th round a million (or you pay a penalty for going over the pool llmit). That has led me to believe why wouldn't you take the guys with signability issues earlier and try to match the slot value more closely with what they will ultimately sign for. I suppose the answer to that is that it really limits a team's flexibility to fill the rookie league rosters or that everyone that's picked after the tenth round has a low floor and low ceiling.
    I agree with your logic here 50, and that's been a part of my confusion on what the Braves are doing. After reading some stuff from JJ Cooper at BA this morning, his explanation for why teams wait until after round 10 to pursue the moderately tough signs is that the first $100k in these rounds does not count against the bonus pool like it does in rounds 1 - 10. This approach would not be very impactful in signing a big fish like Donny Everett after round 10, but it might be a smart way to accumulate multiple guys who you think will sign for $150K to $250K. Really hoping to see a scenario like this play out for the Braves w/ some of today's picks. Otherwise, it may suggest that the picks thus far that seem under-slot were just to allow us to go way over on Allard.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I agree with your logic here 50, and that's been a part of my confusion on what the Braves are doing. After reading some stuff from JJ Cooper at BA this morning, his explanation for why teams wait until after round 10 to pursue the moderately tough signs is that the first $100k in these rounds does not count against the bonus pool like it does in rounds 1 - 10. This approach would not be very impactful in signing a big fish like Donny Everett after round 10, but it might be a smart way to accumulate multiple guys who you think will sign for $150K to $250K. Really hoping to see a scenario like this play out for the Braves w/ some of today's picks. Otherwise, it may suggest that the picks thus far that seem under-slot were just to allow us to go way over on Allard.
    Right. You in effect save $100,000 by waiting after the 10th round. But that's peanuts for a guy like Everett or Beck. Big thing would be if they saved huge on everyone from Minter onward and could pool over a million. But I don't see that happening. I think the first four picks are going to be right around slot so any savings will have to come after that and I don't know how much they can accumulate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You might find it interesting to randomly pick a round in the 4-10 range from a few years ago and see how many players get taken make to the majors. Very few. And the HS players taken in those rounds do not produce a higher yield than the college players. Baseballcube is a nice website for looking at past drafts. Here's a link to the 7th round of the 2010 draft to get you started.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/draft...&Throws=&Sort=
    To nitpick about who we are taking past the third round is ridiculous IMO. Over 99% of these kids don't make the majors. Just arguing to aruge.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    To nitpick about who we are taking past the third round is ridiculous IMO. Over 99% of these kids don't make the majors. Just arguing to aruge.
    So just for the record, you agree with the strategy of drafting 11/13 pitchers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    So just for the record, you agree with the strategy of drafting 11/13 pitchers?
    What did the Braves draft board look like? Were those selections all BPA at those spots?

I really have no reason to not trust this current group in charge. They gave me an incredible amount of years of entertaining baseball and they nailed every single trade in a crucial offseason that is setting up the team for another run of sustained excellence.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    What did the Braves draft board look like? Were those selections all BPA at those spots?

I really have no reason to not trust this current group in charge. They gave me an incredible amount of years of entertaining baseball and they nailed every single trade in a crucial offseason that is setting up the team for another run of sustained excellence.
    That Chaill trade looks worse after the draft pick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The Cahill trade was one of the more inconsequential trades of the offseason and it was only a monetary obligation. So yes, I should have said they nailed every important trade and most of the other ones.

Also, how do you have any idea how good or bad that pick is and what implications it had on the Braves draft strategy?

Its comments like that that show your ultimate bias.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    It also remains as inconsequential as ever, but, sure, I'll agree it was a bad trade.

Of all the trades the Braves made this offseason that's the only clear loser. I think if you had to choose a trade to lose that would have been number #1 at the top of the list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    The Cahill trade was one of the more inconsequential trades of the offseason and it was only a monetary obligation. So yes, I should have said they nailed every important trade and most of the other ones.

Also, how do you have any idea how good or bad that pick is and what implications it had on the Braves draft strategy?

Its comments like that that show your ultimate bias.
    So I praise the Gattis deal. I praise the Kimbrel deal. I praise the Kimbrel deal. Yet I have an "ultimate bias." Maybe I just think critically about each individual move and how it helps in our long term goals and don't automatically praise everything that is done.

Maybe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    It also remains as inconsequential as ever, but, sure, I'll agree it was a bad trade.

Of all the trades the Braves made this offseason that's the only clear loser. I think if you had to choose a trade to lose that would have been number #1 at the top of the list.
    I would have liked to have kept the money. But we've been down that road

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    I would have liked to have kept the money. But we've been down that road
    Okay. Let's assume you can keep the money and use it for whatever purpose you would like.

It still doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    So I praise the Gattis deal. I praise the Kimbrel deal. I praise the Kimbrel deal. Yet I have an "ultimate bias." Maybe I just think critically about each individual move and how it helps in our long term goals and don't automatically praise everything that is done.

Maybe
    If someone actually didn't praise the Kimbrel deal then they deserve to be put in a mental asylum. Congratulations that you were able to get on board with the second best move by any team in the offseason.

Gattis was another deal in this vein.

So you basically said you didn't like any of the other deals and they all have essentially come up roses for the Braves thus far.
    Natural Immunity Croc