Thread: Away games, San Fran and Anaheim...

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Away games, San Fran and Anaheim...

Will be first time visits at both stadiums when i get to see the Braves play out there

any advice from the west coasters on must do's, views, best spots for beers in the stadiums etc etc etc
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    No advice, but really jealous over the SF trip. I've always wanted to watch a game there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    yeah, been on my list for a while. can't wait for that and to finally see Trout play in person
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Goldy, I assume you have been to SF and know the touristy kinda spots? from what direction are you entering the bay area? If you come from the north, I highly recommend taking the Larkspur ferry to the game. Nice safe place to park your ride, arrives at the park about 15-20 min before game time, leaves about that long after the game. I've done it a few times, and while I don't like having to hurry out to to the boat, the scenery is amazing.

If you haven't already gotten your tix, I recommend sitting in the upper deck. behind or to the right of home plate. You really can't beat that view at any MLB park, except for maybe PNC (which I haven't been to). The farther to the right you sit, the more likely you can also see the bay bridge as part of your view. Its also amusing when the cargo ships slowly roll thru your view of the bay. I won't lie, I'm more than jealous that I can't be there. So irritating that the Braves only visit SF once a year.

If you are driving and parking, assume the worst will happen as at times traffic is a complete nightmare and comes to a standstill.

Garlic fries. Get them. Be prepared for cold. I've been there in the middle of August and nearly frozen to death on a sunny day. I bought a hot chocolate for $6 that tasted and looked like brown water, but it was warm and kept me alive while we were in the shade.

Renel Brooks is the stadium announcer, and either the only or one of the few female stadium announcers around. She is also a bay area radio legend. I used to listen to her every day as a kid on 106 KMEL, a local hip hop station world renowned for its live mix show DJ's. I always look forward to hearing her voice when at the park.

Enjoy the best fans in MLB. Giants fans are extremely passionate and freak out about everything, annoyingly passionate.

I don't drink alcohol, but the bay area is more about wine country, perhaps you could find something to that effect if you are looking for a different local flavor. The Braves/announcers always frequented Lefty O'Doul's from what I hear, but I also hear it closed in February.

If you haven't already, get to the north side of the Golden gate bridge, and find that road that gives views above it and the city. There might not be better view of a city in North America.

Haven't been in Norcal in awhile, if I think of anything else I'll add to the list. Please take a million pictures and share!
    Last edited by mossy; 04-28-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    only been to one game there and it was fabulous...minor oupitched bumgarner and Heyward hit a homer that was a lazer...sat in the stands behind left...great view of the game and the bay...if in East bay the view of the city at night from the hills over Oakland and Berkeley is highly recommended

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    Goldy, I assume you have been to SF and know the touristy kinda spots? from what direction are you entering the bay area? If you come from the north, I highly recommend taking the Larkspur ferry to the game. Nice safe place to park your ride, arrives at the park about 15-20 min before game time, leaves about that long after the game. I've done it a few times, and while I don't like having to hurry out to to the boat, the scenery is amazing.

If you haven't already gotten your tix, I recommend sitting in the upper deck. behind or to the right of home plate. You really can't beat that view at any MLB park, except for maybe PNC (which I haven't been to). The farther to the right you sit, the more likely you can also see the bay bridge as part of your view. Its also amusing when the cargo ships slowly roll thru your view of the bay. I won't lie, I'm more than jealous that I can't be there. So irritating that the Braves only visit SF once a year.

If you are driving and parking, assume the worst will happen as at times traffic is a complete nightmare and comes to a standstill.

Garlic fries. Get them. Be prepared for cold. I've been there in the middle of August and nearly frozen to death on a sunny day. I bought a hot chocolate for $6 that tasted and looked like brown water, but it was warm and kept me alive while we were in the shade.

Renel Brooks is the stadium announcer, and either the only or one of the few female stadium announcers around. She is also a bay area radio legend. I used to listen to her every day as a kid on 106 KMEL, a local hip hop station world renowned for its live mix show DJ's. I always look forward to hearing her voice when at the park.

Enjoy the best fans in MLB. Giants fans are extremely passionate and freak out about everything, annoyingly passionate.

I don't drink alcohol, but the bay area is more about wine country, perhaps you could find something to that effect if you are looking for a different local flavor. The Braves/announcers always frequented Lefty O'Doul's from what I hear, but I also hear it closed in February.

If you haven't already, get to the north side of the Golden gate bridge, and find that road that gives views above it and the city. There might not be better view of a city in North America.

Haven't been in Norcal in awhile, if I think of anything else I'll add to the list. Please take a million pictures and share!
    nice. Yeah, been to San Fran before just haven't been to a game there. thanks for the recommendation. will get upper deck down first base line.

honestly, getting picked up from the airport, going to brunch and 21st amendment and then the game and heading to Santa Ana after the game to go to Russian River Brewery and then Napa the following day.

heading down to Anaheim after and catching an early flight home. a smash and grab job really .

heard about the garlic friend are on my list for the stadium. can't wait

pnc is an amazing park. you should check it out

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    x2 on the Garlic Fries. They are amazing. I read that CREAM (an ice cream sandwich shop) just opened a location at the park. I've not seen the stadium location, but even if it's only half as good as one of the other locations I would highly, highly recommend squeezing one (or two) in.

If you can get into Public House, it's well worth it ... especially if you enjoy 'craft' beer.

AT&T Park is amazing. It's similar to Suntrust in terms of footprint, but those similarities end right about there.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Lots of good breweries in the Dogpatch, just south of the stadium. But the best brewery in SF, Cellarmaker, is a bit farther north of the stadium, sort of on the border of SoMa and the Tenderloin.

I'd also advocate waiting in line at Swan's Oyster while you're there—especially if you're traveling solo, since the wait for a counter spot can be substantially shorter if there's just one of you.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    na getting scooped a the airport by a friend. she is moving out to cali and doing a road trip out there. going to the games and kicking it with her

still down to try the oyster spot and craft beer is always welcome.

not much time in San fran honestly but going to try to squeeze as much in as possible in a short time