Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Acquire Matt Adams From Cardinals

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    So Yepez "might" turn into a ok MLB player with some power? That is what Adams already is. Adams loosing weight and now in a hitters park with opportunity has just as much chance to "break out", as Yepez does (if not more).
    Again, I don't have a problem with the value of Adams for Yepez. The issue I have is that this does nothing to improve the future of this ballclub, which should be paramount right now. Adams isn't going to move the needle this year for us and then he'll be gone. I'm not 100% against the deal, but I think it's the wrong type of move for a rebuilding club to make.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    So who goes down/released when Adams gets added to the 25.. Johan or Ruiz goes down.. Bonnie gets the axe...Can't imagine them sending Jackson down with the pen having to work multiple innings the last few nights.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    So who goes down/released when Adams gets added to the 25.. Johan or Ruiz goes down.. Bonnie gets the axe...Can't imagine them sending Jackson down with the pen having to work multiple innings the last few nights.
    I'm probably in the minority, but I hope they axe Old Bonifacio and retain Young Bonifacio (Santana).

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, but I hope they axe Old Bonifacio and retain Young Bonifacio (Santana).
    Forgot about Santana. Yep. he is the most likely really.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    The risk is also essentially zero.

It's doubtful that Juan Yepez will ever make it even to the level of Matt Adams.

If the Braves had given up a prospect of significance, or had taken on an excessive salary in Adams, I'd be right there with you. I just don't see the downside here.
    So why did the Cardinals make the deal?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    So why did the Cardinals make the deal?
    Hard to say. Adams was superfluous with Carpenter now playing 1B and Piscotty backing him up. I don't know if he was out of options or not. They were probably shopping him. He's probably out of options (I don't know that for certain) and if they waive him, everyone would simply wait until he became a free agent and stuck the Cardinals with the whole bill. I suppose the Braves could be criticized for not waiting for that to unfold (and that would be a valid criticism) if that were the case. As it is, the Cards probably save some money instead of simply released Adams and getting stuck with the whole tab and they get a body in the process. All conjecture on my part.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    He was our highest-profile signing, but Yepez was not highly-touted by the baseball press. I don't recall seeing him mentioned in any of the pre-J2 projections from the year he signed. I'm not dumping on the guy. He has a chance. But the early returns at 3B have not been good, which means he is going to have to hit. Maybe he will.

I agree with you that there's nothing for either side of this deal to get bent out of shape about.
    Doesn't seem to have been much buzz about him in the press as I don't seem him rated in any of the rankings (maybe a little early for J2 coverage), but he did get a decent signing bonus and Kiley McDaniel said this afterwards about his being 21st biggest bonus:

21. Juan Yepez, 3B, Venezuela
    Projection: Braves, $1.0 million
    The Skinny: Subject of some crazy late rumors with multiple teams apparently in for seven figures, possibly as high as $1.5 million, despite mixed reports that say plus raw power is only notable tool.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Again, I don't have a problem with the value of Adams for Yepez. The issue I have is that this does nothing to improve the future of this ballclub, which should be paramount right now. Adams isn't going to move the needle this year for us and then he'll be gone. I'm not 100% against the deal, but I think it's the wrong type of move for a rebuilding club to make.
    My question is whether the Braves do have arbitration years left on Adams and whether those years are likely to fit in the future plans. If they can keep him for two years beyond this one, it's not really the worst long term play.

The downside risk is Yepez turning into a power hitter, I guess, and it seems most likely that would be at 1B so you are talking about his trade value after his prospect status rose. That's not a zero chance, but if you are looking at several years of Adams, I think the value probably skews the Braves way. If Adams does well he's certainly flippable for something.

I understand those who would not have made any move. That's fair. But I guess I could see how this could help the future too.

If I had a real feeling about Yepez, I'd probably not like it.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    My question is whether the Braves do have arbitration years left on Adams and whether those years are likely to fit in the future plans. If they can keep him for two years beyond this one, it's not really the worst long term play.

The downside risk is Yepez turning into a power hitter, I guess, and it seems most likely that would be at 1B so you are talking about his trade value after his prospect status rose. That's not a zero chance, but if you are looking at several years of Adams, I think the value probably skews the Braves way. If Adams does well he's certainly flippable for something.

I understand those who would not have made any move. That's fair. But I guess I could see how this could help the future too.

If I had a real feeling about Yepez, I'd probably not like it.
    It turns out we would have one more arbitration year and that changes things for me as I thought this was his last year of control. I'm actually pretty happy with Adams for 2018.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Adams becomes the best option late in games for PH when Freddie gets back. Can DH in AL games. I feel like you gotta send a message to your team that you're taking this seriously.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chopdrew For This Useful Post:

Garmel (05-20-2017), Hawk (05-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Ruiz needs to stay up, either way.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I liked Yepez but I don't see how you can't like this deal. Especially with Adams under control for next year. He's still only 28 and a fantastic bench piece.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    We're 3 wins out of a wild card spot, you stat boy ***s. Maybe Adams doesn't do **** and we come nowhere close to a playoff spot but if he doesn't, he's still homer threat off the bench next year. Yepez will never even reach the majors. I honestly don't know how anyone could be against this deal... says a guy who literally never posts on here.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Onlyonegoal For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-23-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    If people aren't 'happy' with an upgrade piece being acquired at the expense of Yepez how will the Braves ever make a trade?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    Adams could do well for us. Yepez is a long shot to ever be anything. Really good trade. Won't be surprised if we trade him for better prospects in late July.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I like this move. You can't throw in the towel this soon and Yepez is not someone we're going to miss. Adams could thrive at Suntrust with the weather heating up playing primarily against righties. As far as losing a prospect, we could flip him over the winter or even before the July 31st deadline if we think Freeman will be returning soon. This is a solid move to acquire a bat and have options.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Here is what I would do:

Add Adams to 25-man today; DFA Bonifacio
    Garcia comes back from DL soon: Send down Camargo
    DFA O'Flaherty once he comes off DL and keep Jackson or send him down/bring someone else up when EOF gets DFA.

I was impressed with Ruiz and wish he gets all the starts at 3B until Garcia's DL is over. I am very hopeful that Ruiz goes on a hot streak not only to help the team but to permanently make Garcia a bench piece for the rest of 2017.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I liked Yepez but I don't see how you can't like this deal. Especially with Adams under control for next year. He's still only 28 and a fantastic bench piece.
    It will be good to have a left-handed bat with some pop on the bench. It would be better if that player could play a position beyond first. But the main thing is you want a couple decent hitters on your bench. We had none to start the season. Now we have one (once Freddie comes back and Adams goes to the bench).

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Adams was working out in LF for the Cardinals less than 2 months ago.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/sl...cardinals/amp/

http://www.mensfitness.com/sports/ba...-body-2017-mlb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Adams was working out in LF for the Cardinals less than 2 months ago.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/sl...cardinals/amp/

http://www.mensfitness.com/sports/ba...-body-2017-mlb
    The Cards obviously did not see that as a good fit. But it is good to know he's had some action there.