Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks Like Newcomb Will Get The Call

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Criminy, just stop already. Can't we just have a dumb argument about about dWAR or BPA or Kelly Johnson or something?
    Actually, I think this thread is in need of some real Northern Smack, of which I am proud to post the following splendid example:

You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about. War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it … Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth — right at your doors. You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.

William Tecumseh Sherman

PS: I've always thought there should be a Sherman Avenue or Sherman Boulevard in Atlanta.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-07-2017 at 03:40 PM.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Actually, I think this thread is in need of some real Northern Smack, of which I am proud to post the following splendid example:

You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about. War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it … Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth — right at your doors. You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.

William Tecumseh Sherman

PS: I've always thought there should be a Sherman Avenue or Sherman Boulevard in Atlanta.
    /thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Criminy, just stop already. Can't we just have a dumb argument about about dWAR or BPA or Kelly Johnson or something?
    WTF you got against Kelly Freakin' Johnson huh? He is one helluva model American.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    WTF you got against Kelly Freakin' Johnson huh? He is one helluva model American.
    I won't hear a word against Baby Chase Utley.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (06-07-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Didn't someone (and I want to say MikeAdams) make a bet about KJ hitting 20 HR? He did it in ARI. I just don't remember the counter party to the bet.

For the record, I am and always have been in favor of KJ. This year and all others.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-07-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,322 Posts
    Anybody else terrified about how many people Newcomb will walk on Saturday?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    nope, he will be so efficient he might just pitch the first few innings of the night cap too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Either way, the small sample afficionados will find it highly significant. He walks 5 per 9 in AAA. Let's just remember that.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I'm not worried about anyone that's taking Colon's place. He can't do any worse...it's not possible.

BTW...did you see Gant getting lit up last night 😂

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    It could be bad or it could be what he's been doing in AAA. From what I've seen (and I'll admit it's not a huge amount of tape), Newcomb isn't one of those hard throwers who has no idea where the ball is going to end up. Most of the time he's actually pretty accurate. He's just prone to stretches where his control abandons him and he walks 3 over a 4 batter stretch. The fact that he strikes out so many and rarely gives up long balls generally keeps the damage from the walks at a minimum.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts
    All the back and forth nonsense needs to quit right now. Posters with problems with each other, take it to PMs. Threads don't need to be littered with this nonsense. Stay on the topic and away from the other garbage.

Thank you
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

4maddux_cy's (06-08-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    All the back and forth nonsense needs to quit right now. Posters with problems with each other, take it to PMs. Threads don't need to be littered with this nonsense. Stay on the topic and away from the other garbage.

Thank you
    Have you checked on the elephant in a while. been a few days and I don't want him to pull a muscle when he is called on.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Should be a YNOT question

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    You crossed the line, dick. Get out.
    And you, with this post, did as well. The gutter is not exclusive, nor is the ban hammer. Keep it above the belt and remember that kids read this.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

William Tecumseh Sherman

There is. It's called I-75.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Sometimes it has seemed like the in the Minors Newk has been penalized with a small zone and bad pitch framing. Will be interesting if that may help him in the Majors. I hope Flowers catches him since he's a pretty good framer.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-07-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4maddux_cy's View Post
    Why the hell is this kind of post permitted on this site. I am getting sick of the mud slinging lately. Yeah, I don't post a lot but I do read the site 4-5 times per day. This is getting ridiculous.
    This site is almost unreadable these days and why I rarely participate. I saw 91 new posts on the Newcomb thread and quickly found out 80 of those were childish bickering between idiots.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    This site is almost unreadable these days and why I rarely participate. I saw 91 new posts on the Newcomb thread and quickly found out 80 of those were childish bickering between idiots.
    Well, I admit I made half-dozen of them trying to get back on topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    There's a real simple solution as long as the community adheres to it.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    I don't think anyone crossed any lines today. sometimes it is just fun to smack folks around a little. I talk as much Baseball and anyone, but sometimes it is ok to go a bit light hearted. Don't make it personal and don't be insensitive. but in the same breath, don't be so thin skinned either.