Page 277 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 1772272672752762772782792873273777771277 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,540 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    You have to look at state and local GOP initiatives on LGBT issues to get a comprehensive picture of why conservative concern-trolling on gay rights is so laughable.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-09-2017)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    It is pretty awesome that to some the Supreme Court decision was government overreach but the orchestrated attempt to get a constitutional amendment outlawing gay marriage wasn't.

I'm of the opinion that you can certainly be gay and conservative overall, but the Republican party itself has not stood up for gays at all.
    Agree with everything.
    Forever Fredi

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    It comes across like that but considering blacks are more homophobic than whites by a very large margin, hell not even in the same area code, and they are Democrat. Its tough in my neck of the woods if you declare that you are especially black males, you will be be teased, but they will accept you with that stigma to them. This is the reason why they have to be quiet in pro sports in almost all instances and when you do declare, it does not end well.

Forcing someone to change the attitude is only making it worst it seems. Only acceptance can come from understanding and not demanding. I tell my several gay cousins that when they ask me why do people treat them like that. I just tell don't be forceful let them accept you for you and not let it be a "sexuality" that dominates your personality.

The LGBT is shooting themselves with the demanding part but they will not cross paths with blacks again. They avoid them because not too long ago one tried to explain their rights were similar to black civil rights. That did not end well. There is no comparison. I think the black person said something of the effect of "look at me, no, look at me, can I hide that when there is a sign on a door that say "Blacks are not allowed". Now look at you, I can't tell if you are gay or not unless you tell me. It took awhile for the gay person to finally get it. I do understand they don't want to hide and a lot of them don't. We have two at work, but don't flaunt it or make it about themselves either and all is good, great and cheerful workers too.

There is nothing to deny them of their happiness here in the States, might be dangerous in the Middle East though or Islamic Asia. Nothing, except being married in a church of their choosing which is basically not necessary in the grand scheme of life.
    Not really true, though I get where you're coming from. Standing up for one's rights is not 'flaunting' it or 'demanding' others to accept them. We understand that a great many folks will never accept us. It's pointing out, sometimes with emphasis, that we're equal citizens, not secondary, that one's religious beliefs are fine for them (though ignorant imo), just don't force them on us with laws and discrimination. Do you think we should just be passive and let the abuse continue because others are uncomfortable with the idea of two men or two women together, even though it doesn't affect them in the slightest? That doesn't work. Not going to sit by and let these 'religious freedom' laws take over the country these days, or what have you. In 20 years, I do believe most everyone will look back at the controversies and find them shamefully backwards.

I'm not sure what example you're referring to with the 'will not cross paths with blacks again'. Personally, I've never been entirely comfortable with the comparison to black civil rights, though there are obvious parallels as with any civil rights movement. If anything, we've learned from the black civil rights movements, and owe a great deal to them and the brave men and women who have fought for them. I do find it odd that there's a prevailing amount of homophobia within the black community, but that's just me thinking 'But you know what it feels like to be discriminated against! You should be against discrimination of any kind!' I'm admittedly naïve about these issues within the black community though and why it is like that.

As for being able to hide oneself or blend in unseen, while having obvious advantages, it is not the great convenience that it might seem on the surface. When in the closet, there's a particular torment that comes with hiding your true self day in and day out, with the fear of discovery suffocating every room one walks into. It's raw non-stop mental and emotional torture that cuts at one's soul. That's why you hear openly gay folks encourage those in the closet to come out, and talk about life being so much better, healthier. When out of the closet, there's still the occasional discrimination to deal with, particularly from the religious right, though not usually at the level of fearing the police type of discrimination. Bottom line, it's not like it's rainbows and lollipops once out of the closet.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DaneHill For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (06-09-2017)

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    You will be surprise how many Democrats want their guns (again Blacks it is around 95%) too, especially here in Wisconsin and you would be surprise how many Republicans are against the wall, north of 70%. They think it is a waste of money.

Kind of a backhand statement their Dane if I may say so. You have to say both because a lot of blacks think like a Republican socially. So it is not exclusive to Republicans.
    No, I don't have to say both. You're actually stating the case for me. Regardless of social beliefs about gays, they're voting democrat, which stands up for and fights for gay rights. So, whatever issue(s) drive them to vote Democrat, those issues align with gays and the Democratic platform. Republicans actively want to implement restrictions on gays. This is not some 'sorry to do this' feature of the GOP. They are very actively trying to create laws against gay people as one of the tent pole positions of their party.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    No, I don't have to say both. You're actually stating the case for me. Regardless of social beliefs about gays, they're voting democrat, which stands up for and fights for gay rights. So, whatever issue(s) drive them to vote Democrat, those issues align with gays and the Democratic platform. Republicans actively want to implement restrictions on gays. This is not some 'sorry to do this' feature of the GOP. They are very actively trying to create laws against gay people as one of the tent pole positions of their party.
    First lets get the Democrat vote out of the way. WELFARE and importantly at first the Republicans stabbed them in the back in regards to Civil Rights Act. If they did not did that blacks would be hardcore Republicans today due to their social attitudes in regards to church.

Here we go, what restriction? Marriage? A Civil contract and shot down that can't be revived in court. There is no other restriction out there. Now if you are saying acceptance, you have a big leg to stand on. Read what I directed at Sav about the black community (also addresses social tendencies of blacks that differ from Democrats). You will understand much more about what I posted. You will see parallels in what I counsel the blacks I know are gay. They can approach me without me condemning them at all. It is their lot in life they have to live to the best they can. I know they want to shout but the world will never be ready for something like that and sadly to say probably never.

Being different is seen in that light, just like sexism, just like racism, it is something that will never go away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    First lets get the Democrat vote out of the way. WELFARE and importantly at first the Republicans stabbed them in the back in regards to Civil Rights Act. If they did not did that blacks would be hardcore Republicans today due to their social attitudes in regards to church.

Here we go, what restriction? Marriage? A Civil contract and shot down that can't be revived in court. There is no other restriction out there. Now if you are saying acceptance, you have a big leg to stand on. Read what I directed at Sav about the black community (also addresses social tendencies of blacks that differ from Democrats). You will understand much more about what I posted. You will see parallels in what I counsel the blacks I know are gay. They can approach me without me condemning them at all. It is their lot in life they have to live to the best they can. I know they want to shout but the world will never be ready for something like that and sadly to say probably never.

Being different is seen in that light, just like sexism, just like racism, it is something that will never go away.
    Why would gay black people come to you for counsel ?
    please

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

Runnin (06-09-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I had to reread this from you, deep, great post by the way:

"As for being able to hide oneself or blend in unseen, while having obvious advantages, it is not the great convenience that it might seem on the surface. When in the closet, there's a particular torment that comes with hiding your true self day in and day out, with the fear of discovery suffocating every room one walks into. It's raw non-stop mental and emotional torture that cuts at one's soul. That's why you hear openly gay folks encourage those in the closet to come out, and talk about life being so much better, healthier. When out of the closet, there's still the occasional discrimination to deal with, particularly from the religious right, though not usually at the level of fearing the police type of discrimination. Bottom line, it's not like it's rainbows and lollipops once out of the closet."

That has to suck but let me ask you, who are they to you? EFF THEM. Do what you do how you want to do, don't hide your sexuality to anyone. Now PDA in certain places is not condone straight or not. That is the only way you have people to accept you. hide or demand is not doing any good for you. The workers here at work are gay and happy and not anyone (almost all that work here are die hard Republicans) give them a hard time or treat them any differently. They get invited to get togethers to a bar after work. They are just another person. You have to think like that.

Sorry if I am harsh. I am black, THE ONLY ONE but I don't let it deter me. If I feel I am not welcome, I just go somewhere else.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (06-09-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Why would gay black people come to you for counsel ?
    please
    Because I am not a close-minded racist like you who like to keep my people down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    ...deleted ...

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    In my opinion (and MANY others), gays who vote Republican are not proud to be gay.
    Ew. Dane. Come on dude.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (06-09-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Another to file under the now bursting-at-the-seams But why do they hate us?! folder:

"For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (06-09-2017)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    It is pretty awesome that to some the Supreme Court decision was government overreach but the orchestrated attempt to get a constitutional amendment outlawing gay marriage wasn't.

I'm of the opinion that you can certainly be gay and conservative overall, but the Republican party itself has not stood up for gays at all.
    Why should they?

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Another to file under the now bursting-at-the-seams But why do they hate us?! folder:

Awww that's sad. Maybe we should sit down with them and apologize and they'll like us.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (06-10-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Awww that's sad. Maybe we should sit down with them and apologize and they'll like us.
    This is pretty pathetic.

But remember kids, if they bomb a US hospital, it's terrorism

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-09-2017), zitothebrave (06-09-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    You have to look at state and local GOP initiatives on LGBT issues to get a comprehensive picture of why conservative concern-trolling on gay rights is so laughable.
    Unlike you I don't box myself into a R or D, and thus can be conservative while also supporting individual rights

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts

Have the facts and circumstances been confirmed regards to this?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Why should they?
    Why should people governing a nation stand up for marginalized groups in that nation? Is this a real question?

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

goldfly (06-10-2017), jpx7 (06-09-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Yes: I think more equitable distribution of resources is more moral than the consolidation of wealth to the wealthy.
    So, these are my questions. Are you hesitant to add the term "by force" to the end of "equitable distribution of resources?" And my second question is what is your evidence that capitalism, relatively speaking, leads to consolidation of wealth to the wealthy?