Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Draft Day, Post-Draft Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Never work. A Harper would never fall to 20 something regardless of what he said. Plus that is a rule violation that would be investigated.
    Ok, the Yankees say: Harper we'll give you 15 million to sign here if you fall.

Harper would tell teams: I want 15 million to sign or I'm going to South Carolina.

Teams might choose to draft him anyway, but lots of college commitments put big numbers on their signing and teams pass. Would a team gamble its draft on being able to sign him for less?

Just a thought experiment. It's never been tried, but its not dissimilar from the way teams gamed the international draft.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 06-14-2017 at 11:15 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

Harper would tell teams: I want 15 million to sign or I'm going to South Carolina.

Teams might choose to draft him anyway, but lots of college commitments put big numbers on their signing and teams pass. Would a team gamble it's draft on being able to sign him for less?

Just a thought experiment. It's never been tried, but its not dissimilar from the way teams gamed the international draft.
    This threat would only work if the player was serious about going to school for three years and/or there was a guarantee they could earn materially more than what they would make as the first overall pick in that draft. With the slot and cap system, it's basically made a stunt like that impossible. It wouldn't work for a college junior superstar either because the next draft he would be a senior with no alternatives.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Folks suggesting Wright only fell to 5 because the Braves already arranged an over slot deal with him that teams picking 1-4 wouldn't match have a very solid point. Bridges suggests in his interviews that they didn't expect Wright to be there, so I doubt they had a pre-draft deal set up, but if they did then the Braves have to honor it.

If they did have a deal, I am sure they will honor it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    This threat would only work if the player was serious about going to school for three years and/or there was a guarantee they could earn materially more than what they would make as the first overall pick in that draft. With the slot and cap system, it's basically made a stunt like that impossible. It wouldn't work for a college junior superstar either because the next draft he would be a senior with no alternatives.
    It would also work with a draft eligible sophomore. Also, I think Jucos are eligible after each year so the high school player also has that option.

It would be a very specific case and I'm sure the rules would immediately change again if someone did it.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Really intrigued by 12th round selection Hagen Owenby. Put up great numbers at ETSU every year

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SidSlid92 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-14-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

Teams might choose to draft him anyway, but lots of college commitments put big numbers on their signing and teams pass. Would a team gamble its draft on being able to sign him for less?

yeah.. but if I was the Bjays or Angels or whoever.. and I am sitting at #7.. I would draft Harper knowing he probably has a deal and basically offer him the most I can... call his bluff.. worse case is that you get another high pick next year. I would hedge my draft in the Round 11 + with good players just in case.

--think the BSox did that with Groome.. thought he might have a deal in place but took him anyway.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Round 13. Connor Simmons from Georgia Southern

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    While I'm stoked to get Wright in the system, and I think Waters at 41 was a solid pick, if I had known the whole draft would follow a script just so the Braves could afford Wright I might have a different opinion.

There's taking BPA, and then there's taking "only BPA".

Would we rather have Wright/Waters and a bunch of nothing, or Beck/Waters and a bunch of higher caliber players?

Hard to answer, but if the Braves really are giving Wright #1 money I have to at least question the process no matter how happy I am with Wright.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    While I'm stoked to get Wright in the system, and I think Waters at 41 was a solid pick, if I had known the whole draft would follow a script just so the Braves could afford Wright I might have a different opinion.

Would we rather have Wright/Waters and a bunch of nothing, or Beck/Waters and a bunch of higher caliber players?

Hard to answer, but if the Braves really are giving Wright #1 money I have to at least question the process no matter how happy I am with Wright.
    And that's why I absolutely HATE how MLB does the draft. You should not have to blow your whole draft to simply sign your first round pick. No other pro sports draft is like that.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Round 14. Keith Weisenberg, reliever from Stanford

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts

I've been going back and forth on this for the last 24 hours. It's hard to know for sure without knowing who else we could've taken if we went Beck/Waters instead.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

I'm going with Wright/Waters for this draft, I generally don't worry a ton about the current state of the system/position of need... .but we have an very deep system right now, adding the top end -- and safer talent -- like Wright makes a ton of sense to me this year.

I still don't think you would end up with a bunch of high caliber players if you went Beck/Waters... maybe you get three more guys, but they would all have more risk than Wright.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

Exactly how I feel about this situation! I was loving the 1st 3 pks but had I know the rest of the draft would've been complete garbage I would've rather gone in a different direction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

I think it's a reasonable question.

If we had more picks then maybe we would have gone that route. But we didn't have any competitive balance picks to play with and other big bonus teams did.

IMO we have the number 1 system in baseball. We have some potential studs in the system but we have historic depth. If I have to choose I'd rather go all in on a couple of studs than go for depth. Now, could we have gotten 4 Waters type guys instead of two....maybe. That was some of my argument before the draft with you. In that case you have to trust the pros, especially since they have more info and have looked pretty good at drafting so far.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    yeah.. but if I was the Bjays or Angels or whoever.. and I am sitting at #7.. I would draft Harper knowing he probably has a deal and basically offer him the most I can... call his bluff.. worse case is that you get another high pick next year. I would hedge my draft in the Round 11 + with good players just in case.

--think the BSox did that with Groome.. thought he might have a deal in place but took him anyway.
    It's interesting. But if the Jays take him with the seventh pick and he decides to go back to school, they've lost maybe 50% of their draft pool. on the other hand they still have the rest of their picks. And they have a not zero chance of signing a generational talent. If they miss they get two pick next year.

Maybe that the way it turns out.

On the other hand, know that if you are the Yankees you've lost nothing by trying. if he doesn't fall to you, you can conduct your draft normally.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    In a really deep farm like ours you take fewer BPAs. We need quality over quantity at this point.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    And that's why I absolutely HATE how MLB does the draft. You should not have to blow your whole draft to simply sign your first round pick. No other pro sports draft is like that.

Well you don't have to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    The other thing to remember on Wright eating up so much money is that he's considered REALLY good by a lot of people.
    FV 60...1/2 I believe.
    Most articles I've seen are saying he's likely 1 or 2 in our top rated farm system.

And we still have the international guys to throw money at toolsey guys. Yes we are capped this year but we got guys like Acuna and Albies for less than 300K IIRC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Exactly how I feel about this situation! I was loving the 1st 3 pks but had I know the rest of the draft would've been complete garbage I would've rather gone in a different direction.
    So you'd rather have a bunch of guys that will likely not do much of anything over 3 possible impact guys? With our deep system already? That's ridiculous

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Its wayyyy to early to call the rest of the draft complete garbage, the Braves have done well finding good relief talent in these middle rounds....

Also, lets say we go Beck the OF at #5 (unless you guys were talking Tristian Beck)... maybe you can get him to sign for ~5 million and save 700k..... that's basically like adding the overslot money we used on a guy like Bryse Wilson last year. I'd rather have Wright than Wilson+Beck.