Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Draft Day, Post-Draft Thread

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Exactly how I feel about this situation! I was loving the 1st 3 pks but had I know the rest of the draft would've been complete garbage I would've rather gone in a different direction.
    90% or more of the time round 4 on is complete garbage. I am much more stoked about getting the best talent in the draft (top 2 at worse).. then adding two more 50/50 guys.. than adding a good talent and 5 more 50/50 guys. Our entire system is chuck full of 50/50 guys.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Unless Wright gets substantially more than slot I don't see how drafting Beck would give them better options later on as he probably signs for around slot anyway.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Exactly how I feel about this situation! I was loving the 1st 3 pks but had I know the rest of the draft would've been complete garbage I would've rather gone in a different direction.
    Well, the other direction is pretty much what the Braves did last year. Comparing Wright/Waters to Anderson/Wentz/Muller/Cumberland/Wilson makes me much prefer Wright/Waters.

I can't very well spend the last month screaming "take BPA!!" at the top of my lungs in every draft thread, and then cry about the consequences when the Braves actually do it. Actually seeing the consequences definitely makes you think though.

I still think I'd rather have Wright/Waters over the larger group from last year though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    While I'm stoked to get Wright in the system, and I think Waters at 41 was a solid pick, if I had known the whole draft would follow a script just so the Braves could afford Wright I might have a different opinion.

There's taking BPA, and then there's taking "only BPA".

Would we rather have Wright/Waters and a bunch of nothing, or Beck/Waters and a bunch of higher caliber players?

Hard to answer, but if the Braves really are giving Wright #1 money I have to at least question the process no matter how happy I am with Wright.
    Last year, the Braves got probably six high upside players with two extra picks. This year its probably three though I think Bacon might be higher upside than he's being billed. Signing Anderson underslot (leaving aside BPA) as opposed to theoretically overslotting Wright (haven't done it yet) means you got one less high dollar prospect, which is really about what you would expect.

The reason the Braves had sooo much upside in last year's draft is that they traded assets for extra picks and found someone they liked who would save money under the cap.

Absent those circumstances, it isn't so surprising that their draft would look pretty average in numbers. This is the consequence of taking BPA. You don't push more money down the draft.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-14-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Well, the other direction is pretty much what the Braves did last year. Comparing Wright/Waters to Anderson/Wentz/Muller/Cumberland/Wilson makes me much prefer Wright/Waters.

I can't very well spend the last month screaming "take BPA!!" at the top of my lungs in every draft thread, and then cry about the consequences when the Braves actually do it. Actually seeing the consequences definitely makes you think though.

I still think I'd rather have Wright/Waters over the larger group from last year though.
    Tough to compare the groups though because the Braves had about $4million more to spend last year.

I really like both groups, I think with the extra money and picks, what the Braves did last year was great. Without the extra money and picks, I think they went BPA this year and got a little lucky that Wright fell to them.

If I'm forced to choose, I'd take the Anderson/Wentz/Muller/Cumberland/Wilson package over just Wright/Waters..... but I like both.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    I saw round 15 Austin Bush... I had to look twice.. I really tricked myself into seeing Tristen Beck..

But he is a 6'6 265lbs 1B.. Are we drafting tight ends for the falcons now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Some of these Juniors we are drafting are very interesting. Especially the 2 catchers.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Round 15 pick Austin Bush hit 20 HRs last year, but struck out a ton.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Its wayyyy to early to call the rest of the draft complete garbage, the Braves have done well finding good relief talent in these middle rounds....

Also, lets say we go Beck the OF at #5 (unless you guys were talking Tristian Beck)... maybe you can get him to sign for ~5 million and save 700k..... that's basically like adding the overslot money we used on a guy like Bryse Wilson last year. I'd rather have Wright than Wilson+Beck.
    Amen. We didn't have that extra pick this year to get someone early. Not sure if throwing 2 million at a Tristan Beck in round 11 would work. The Braves probably do b/c they've talked to Beck.

Also the guys we are taking 3-end are similar in profile to a guy like Weigel. I don't know if Weigel will ever do anything in MLB but he's not garbage. He has a good shot to be a solid pitcher or maybe a high leverage reliever. Just because these guys are tooled up or super young does not mean they have no value.

If we draft 10 college senior pitchers and one turns into a good, cheap relief pitcher than we have some value.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Amen. We didn't have that extra pick this year to get someone early. Not sure if throwing 2 million at a Tristan Beck in round 11 would work. The Braves probably do b/c they've talked to Beck.

Also the guys we are taking 3-end are similar in profile to a guy like Weigel. I don't know if Weigel will ever do anything in MLB but he's not garbage. He has a good shot to be a solid pitcher or maybe a high leverage reliever. Just because these guys are tooled up or super young does not mean they have no value.

If we draft 10 college senior pitchers and one turns into a good, cheap relief pitcher than we have some value.
    Two extra picks.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Tough to compare the groups though because the Braves had about $4million more to spend last year.

I really like both groups, I think with the extra money and picks, what the Braves did last year was great. Without the extra money and picks, I think they went BPA this year and got a little lucky that Wright fell to them.

If I'm forced to choose, I'd take the Anderson/Wentz/Muller/Cumberland/Wilson package over just Wright/Waters..... but I like both.
    Now let's get into how the draft would have been different had the Braves pick #2 and had an extra $2M. They could have gotten Wright/Waters, and added 2 more decent talents later.

This draft showed the clear consequences of a rebuilding team winning meaningless games by promoting their franchise SS needlessly in a lost season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Now let's get into how the draft would have been different had the Braves pick #2 and had an extra $2M. They could have gotten Wright/Waters, and added 2 more decent talents later.

This draft showed the clear consequences of a rebuilding team winning meaningless games by promoting their franchise SS needlessly in a lost season.
    Give it up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts

It definitely sheds light on why the Braves discussed Hiuri at number five so close to draft day. That leads me to believe the Braves identified someone like Beck as a third pick and we're debating Wright/Waters versus Hiuri/Waters/Beck.

Granted, there is a lot of assumptions there about those players actually being available at, but that seems to be the trade off.

If there is one thing our system lacks (in a relative sense keep in mind), it's gold star blue chippers. Wright gives us something that no other prospect other than Greene could have given us and that's a bonafide 60 FV guy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts

Honestly, those consequences are really light, imo.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

I wouldn't pin it all on Swanson.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Wonder what Cutter Dyals best pitch is?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    It definitely sheds light on why the Braves discussed Hiuri at number five so close to draft day. That leads me to believe the Braves identified someone like Beck as a third pick and we're debating Wright/Waters versus Hiuri/Waters/Beck.

Granted, there is a lot of assumptions there about those players actually being available at, but that seems to be the trade off.

If there is one thing our system lacks (in a relative sense keep in mind), it's gold star blue chippers. Wright gives us something that no other prospect other than Greene could have given us and that's a bonafide 60 FV guy.
    Agreed. Can't lose sight of the fact that the Braves just added a Top 20-25 prospect in all of baseball...with the 5th pick in the draft.

I don't think it can be overstated how much value that adds to the organization.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I wouldn't pin it all on Swanson.
    I just like to bitch about the single dumbest move this FO has made in the last 5 years whenever I can haha.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    I just like to bitch about the single dumbest move this FO has made in the last 5 years whenever I can haha.
    you!!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    There are 2 other moves that are worse

22. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-14-2017)