Thread: Realistic Trade Partners

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    My stance overall:

Suzuki, Garcia and BP need to go no matter what, so even some 40 FV fodder is fine for them as a return.

Adams, Viz, JJ, and Flowers have value next year, so don't trade them unless a team is willing to give up a legit high-45/low-50 FV guy for a package including 2-3 of them plus Garcia and/or BP.

Having said that, I fully expect the Braves to be welcoming 2-3 more Gants and Whalens to the organization by August 1.
    If I had to bet I'd agree. I hope not. People have paid stupid prices for relief pitchers lately.

I'm hoping for a Demerrite type. A flawed prospect who has a role and maybe more if they can limit or fix the flaw. Maybe a corner OF who can field and Hit but isn't prized b/c they are a corner w/o big time power.

I'd be really curious to see if we would take on salary to get a good return. B/c I don't see many folks worth spending money on next year.
    I'm still thinking about a giant trade with the Red Sox where we take panda.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    You think the Braves have anything to sell that any teams are going to bid against each other to acquire?

The assets the Braves have to sell are the ones contenders will settle for when the really good players being traded have been settled.

But I'll mark you down as a guy that thinks the Braves can get a young 50 FV guy for one of their trade pieces.

I don't keep up with FV but I think the further a prospect is from the majors the more a team will be inclined to trade them. If we were contenders and had to make a trade Wentz and Pache are the sorts of prospects we would prefer to trade over prospects like Soroka/Scuba.

Me personally I prefer getting quantity instead of putting all our eggs in one basket. Something Something Hector Olivera.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I don't keep up with FV but I think the further a prospect is from the majors the more a team will be inclined to trade them. If we were contenders and had to make a trade Wentz and Pache are the sorts of prospects we would prefer to trade over prospects like Soroka/Scuba.

Me personally I prefer getting quantity instead of putting all our eggs in one basket. Something Something Hector Olivera.
    I am definitely down on Scuba.. his dive this year has been crushing. don't hold your breath on him ever coming back up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The Twins' prospect that intrigues me a bit is Lamonte Wade. 23-year-old LHH OF. Has been playing some CF, but is probably primarily a 4th OF who plays the corners better. Pretty good on-base skills. 2015 draft pick who is currently in AA. Not showing a lot of power there.
    The more I read about the Twins and their dumpster fire pitching, the more I like the idea of sending them Garcia and a BP arm.

I want Garver for Garcia plus JJ/Viz, but I doubt that happens...maybe if the Braves eat salary? Garver would be a solid catcher to pair with Flowers next year, and is at worst an above average backup.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    These would all be steals IMO.. but I thought I would post this anyway as it might be interesting to think the other way for a change. Trading prospects for ML'rs... maybe not at the deadline..

http://tomahawktake.com/2017/06/20/t...ull-hate-love/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    These would all be steals IMO.. but I thought I would post this anyway as it might be interesting to think the other way for a change. Trading prospects for ML'rs... maybe not at the deadline..

Not sure about those. AJackson and Weigel for Yelich......the Braves do that in a heartbeat. The Marlins would get more than that for Ozuna I would think.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Not sure about those. AJackson and Weigel for Yelich......the Braves do that in a heartbeat. The Marlins would get more than that for Ozuna I would think.
    yeah.. I don't think any of those would happen either.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    I would definitely I do any of those trades, but they won't happen. In all three of them you're talking about getting very good major league talent that's already established and controllable. I just don't think it's realistic. However I do think that when we feel like we're close we might pull a huge trade or too. We have a lot of depth and we'll have some nice pieces that will be spare parts particularly in the SP prospect department. However right now we need a couple of those guys to establish themselves in the big league rotation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts

Umm, none of those trades are even in the realm of remotely possible. Yet another "blogger" like clv with no idea how to valuate players. These trade proposals that essentially consist of a few secondary/tertiary parts lumped together to get an impact MLBer in return are laughable.

If the Braves are going to acquire a controllable MLB piece, it will have to come from a team getting ready to blow it up and rebuild. I don't see any of those 3 teams blowing it up and starting over this winter.

If we want to seriously discuss the Braves acquiring a controllable MLB player this offseason (which is a definite possibility), we need to identify which teams are likely to go into a rebuild. The Royals and Orioles immediately come to mind as candidates.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-20-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Umm, none of those trades are even in the realm of remotely possible. Yet another "blogger" like clv with no idea how to valuate players. These trade proposals that essentially consist of a few secondary/tertiary parts lumped together to get an impact MLBer in return are laughable.

If the Braves are going to acquire a controllable MLB piece, it will have to come from a team getting ready to blow it up and rebuild. I don't see any of those 3 teams blowing it up and starting over this winter.

The only team I could see is Miami.. because they are Miami.. But to get Yelich would be very painful for a lot of Braves fans.

This wasn't posted because I thought it could happen, but because I get so single tracked that I think the only thing we could trade is our current roster. we could conceivable trade current talent with some prospect to get something better in return.. ala what we got back with Ender/Swanson.. or Newk/Suckbar... or how we did with Wood/Perraza..
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 06-20-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

I can see the Marlins doing it. But the Marlins would likely look to shed salary more than anything else.

I think if the Braves want to get better w/o moving major pieces they'd have to find some guys that are overpaid but still productive....like kemp but hopefully not that overpaid.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    The only team I could see is Miami.. because they are Miami.. But to get Yelich would be very painful for a lot of Braves fans.
    I can't remember a new ownership group ever coming in and immediately blowing up the team. A new owner will most likely try to build around a very strong OF of Yelich, Ozuna and Stanton. If anything, I could see new owners making a plunge into the FA SP market and trying to win next year.

If we want to seriously discuss the Braves acquiring a controllable MLB player this offseason (which is a definite possibility), we need to identify which teams are likely to go into a rebuild. The Royals and Orioles immediately come to mind as candidates.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I can see the Marlins doing it. But the Marlins would likely look to shed salary more than anything else.

I think if the Braves want to get better w/o moving major pieces they'd have to find some guys that are overpaid but still productive....like kemp but hopefully not that overpaid.
    Nsacpi keeps pimping Prado for 3B. Very realistic target.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    I can't remember a new ownership group ever coming in and immediately blowing up the team. A new owner will most likely try to build around a very strong OF of Yelich, Ozuna and Stanton. If anything, I could see new owners making a plunge into the FA SP market and trying to win next year.

is there new ownership. I thought I heard they wanted to shed salary to help the sale go through. Which doesn't mean squat for Yelich.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/red-...oval-on-roster

I'll go back to panda. Red Sox GM has shown he'll deal impact prospects. Devers is coming soon. They have Dalbec (injured and struggled some) and Chavis who could be long term 3B and soon. I haven't seen them but we'd have to trust our scouts. Taking on 40 million in dead money would be a lot for us. But maybe we could use that to buy some guys. Maybe they would want some of our other players for a monster deal. Honestly I probably would not take on that money w/o getting Groome and the Sox will not go there. But I think this is the type of creative option we need to consider.

The Sox might actually sign Harper, Machado or Donaldson. So they might pay a premium to clear Panda and/or Hanley in the near future. The Braves don't have anyone realistic who is worth spending money on unless you like Moustakis, Frazier, Lucroy etc more than most.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Nsacpi keeps pimping Prado for 3B. Very realistic target.
    I like Prado if we can get him for free b/c of salary dump. I could see him being a guy who could play 2B and 3B to check the veteran box and maybe keep Ozzie down a little longer. He may be a duplication of SRod depending on how SRod comes back. If Comargo really does have the pop that came out of nowhere in AAA then maybe Prado isn't so much of an upgrade.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    This is why teams like the Astros who are essentially locks for the post season won't be trying to acquire Garcia:

steve
    3:39 Scott Feldman to the Astros to eat some innings and save some young arm innings until Keuchel and company get healthy?
    Steve Adams

3:39 Don't think Feldman goes back to Houston, no. They have a huge lead as it is... they'll stay internal until their injured guys are back. If they're acquiring anyone it's going to be someone who could join Keuchel and McCullers in their postseason rotation

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    And a cry-baby pozzy-Barve snowflake haha...

Rick James
    4:05 why does mpbtraderumors have such a low view of Braves veteran trade candidates? Like Adams, Garcia, Markakis, Kemp, Johnson, Phillips, Dickey? they can being some good returns

Steve Adams
    4:06 Because none of them are especially great players and several (Markakis, Kemp) come with less-than desirable contracts attached. Garcia is decent, but no one's going to give up a significant haul of prospects to acquire him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

Usually it works the other way. the selling group blows up the team to clear the decks for new owners.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Usually it works the other way. the selling group blows up the team to clear the decks for new owners.
    Whether the Marlins sell or not, the Braves aren't getting Yelich for Patrick Weigel & Alex Jackson.

TomahawkTake has just proven itself to not be a serious source for Braves content. They should recruit writers that have graduated high school at least. Hard to find that kind of talent in the South, but there are Braves fans in other parts of the country they can recruit from.