Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie to third base??

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    1. I don't think this will happen, and is probably just the Braves trying to drive the price of Adam's up for teams that want him with the "Fine, we'll just keep him." bluff.

2. It's not "so" far fetched because Freddie was a 3rd baseman. He knows the position and was probably moved because they had Chipper. Let's say he's horrible. We probably win a few games with Adams bat and loose a few with Freddie's mishaps at 3rd. It's probably a wash and even if it looses us a few...just gives us a better draft pick. We then keep Adams as a bench bat or trade him in the offseason.

3. I doubt it happens, but a lineup with Adams, Kemp and Freddie in the middle (assuming Adams doesn't regress...which is possible), would be pretty nasty. Where is the weak spot 1-8 with Dansby hitting now.
    The only way Adams doesn't regress is if he suddenly has more power than guys like Stanton and Sano and Judge, and continues at a 27% HR/FB rate.

Anyone saying Adams is a .900+ OPS true talent hitter is saying he suddenly has the best power in the game.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Oh, you mean Matt Adams, the guy with a HR/FB rate of 27% with the Braves.

Let's see what happens when that rate normalizes to his usual rate of about half that value....

HRs go from 10 to 5. Those 5 missing HRs turn into 1 double and 4 fly outs based on a BABIP of ~.200 on fly balls.

Suddenly, Adams' line is .261/.317/.478 (.796 OPS).

Or....almost exactly his career line.

Adams is not a true talent .900 OPS hitter. He is a true talent sub .800 OPS hitter. That's why he has little trade value. That's why the Braves got him for Yepez.

A few weeks with a lucky HR/FB doesn't change any of that. Sorry, msstake7.
    You mean his career when he was 30 pounds heavier? He's in great shape. In his prime. Playing in a great ballpark for his skills.

I'm not betting he's a 900 OPS guy either. But to just say he's going to do this is overstating. He's not hitting wallscrapers. He could have made a change. Is Flowers automatically going to go back to a sub 100 wrc+? I bet you told us that last year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Yeah, I have strong doubts he can sustain his .910 ops. He does seem to hit well at suntrust though... hit hr vs braves earlier this season. He's ops'd in .830s before in over 300 PAs earlier in his career though and he's in the best shape of his professional career. Who knows where he finishes with his ops?
    I just told you where/how he finishes.

After watching Kemp's WAR slide all season after a blazing start, do you still not understand how players normalize back to career rates?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Oh, you mean Matt Adams, the guy with a HR/FB rate of 27% with the Braves.

Let's see what happens when that rate normalizes to his usual rate of about half that value....

HRs go from 10 to 5. Those 5 missing HRs turn into 1 double and 4 fly outs based on a BABIP of ~.200 on fly balls.

Suddenly, Adams' line is .261/.317/.478 (.796 OPS).

Or....almost exactly his career line.

Adams is not a true talent .900 OPS hitter. He is a true talent sub .800 OPS hitter. That's why he has little trade value. That's why the Braves got him for Yepez.

A few weeks with a lucky HR/FB doesn't change any of that. Sorry, msstake7.
    Given he has lost a massive amount of weight that could be aiding his production. How long does he need to continue doing this until we say..."This is The new Matt Adams."? The trade deadline? The end of the year? I agree he is hot, but I disagree that he will completely regress. I think it will be somewhere in the middle. I think him getting in better shape has at least something to do with his production.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    You mean his career when he was 30 pounds heavier? He's in great shape. In his prime. Playing in a great ballpark for his skills.

I'm not betting he's a 900 OPS guy either. But to just say he's going to do this is overstating. He's not hitting wallscrapers. He could have made a change. Is Flowers automatically going to go back to a sub 100 wrc+? I bet you told us that last year.
    Ah yes, the BSOML talking point lol.

Bringing up Flowers show you have no idea what you're talking about. Flowers is running an unsustainable BABIP of .402 right now. His career mark is in the .330 range. So yes, Flowers current offensive output is also not likely to continue.

Flowers has, however, made real improvements in his BB and K rates over the last 2 years. He is a true talent .750-.800 OPS guy, not the .895 OPS he is currently posting.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Given he has lost a massive amount of weight that could be aiding his production. How long does he need to continue doing this until we say..."This is The new Matt Adams."? The trade deadline? The end of the year? I agree he is hot, but I disagree that he will completely regress. I think it will be somewhere in the middle. I think him getting in better shape has at least something to do with his production.
    When his HR/FB rate normalizes back to the 15%-20% range, then you can look at his stat line and say "This is the new Matt Adams".

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    For reference, here are the highest HR/FB rates for all qualified hitters from 2010-now:

Name HR/FB
    Giancarlo Stanton 25.40%
    Chris Davis 25.00%
    Miguel Sano 24.00%
    George Springer 23.40%
    Pedro Alvarez 22.90%
    Khris Davis 22.70%
    Justin Bour 22.30%
    Steven Souza Jr. 21.30%
    Adam Dunn 21.10%
    Chris Carter 20.80%

That list consists of guys with 70+ raw power, and all of them have a lower rate than Adams.

Is it starting to sink in just how unsustainable Adams' current 27% HR/FB rate is? Or does the board braintrust now think Adams has more power than Stanton and Sano, the premier power hitters in the game today?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-21-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    For reference, here are the highest HR/FB rates for all qualified hitters from 2010-now:

Name HR/FB
    Giancarlo Stanton 25.40%
    Chris Davis 25.00%
    Miguel Sano 24.00%
    George Springer 23.40%
    Pedro Alvarez 22.90%
    Khris Davis 22.70%
    Justin Bour 22.30%
    Steven Souza Jr. 21.30%
    Adam Dunn 21.10%
    Chris Carter 20.80%

That list consists of guys with 70+ raw power, and all of them have a lower rate than Adams.

Is it starting to sink in just how unsustainable Adams' current 27% HR/FB rate is? Or does the board braintrust now think Adams has more power than Stanton and Sano?
    OH GOOD GRIEF. Nobody is saying that he will sustain exactly what he is doing now. Only that he is somewhere between where he was before and where he is now. That is a very valuable hitter.

We understand 'regression to the mean,' all other things being equal. It is fun to look at what other things might not be equal (losing 30 pounds, getting to play every day, playing in a park that favors LH power hitters), and wonder if those things might make him truly a better hitter than he was before those things happened.

Lighten up and have a discussion without berating anyone who doesn't bow to your vastly superior statistical understanding.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    OH GOOD GRIEF. Nobody is saying that he will sustain exactly what he is doing now. Only that he is somewhere between where he was before and where he is now. That is a very valuable hitter.

We understand 'regression to the mean,' all other things being equal. It is fun to look at what other things might not be equal (losing 30 pounds, getting to play every day, playing in a park that favors LH power hitters), and wonder if those things might make him truly a better hitter than he was before those things happened.

Lighten up and have a discussion without berating anyone who doesn't bow to your vastly superior statistical understanding.
    So where do you think his HR/FB rate will settle now that he has lost 30 lbs? Literally nothing else about his batting peripherals have changed, so what else could possibly explain his increased production?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    So where do you think his HR/FB rate will settle now that he has lost 30 lbs?
    I don't know. I want to watch the games to find out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I don't know. I want to watch the games to find out.
    How very anti-intellectual of you.

It's one thing to be willingly ignorant. It's quite another to be ignorant and then insist on arguing with someone who isn't.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-21-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    How very anti-intellectual of you.
    Why must you be an ass all the time. Do you not take any breaks?
    Forever Fredi

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (06-22-2017), Garmel (06-21-2017), mfree80 (06-21-2017), Ozzie Swanson (06-21-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Why must you be an ass all the time. Do you not take any breaks?
    I'll take a break when folks take a break from arguing from positions of ignorance. Deal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    So where do you think his HR/FB rate will settle now that he has lost 30 lbs? Literally nothing else about his batting peripherals have changed, so what else could possibly explain his increased production?
    Who knows? In all your brilliance though, you never saw it being this high now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Who knows? In all your brilliance though, you never saw it being this high now.
    Huh? Nobody predicts when someone is going to have a lucky HR/FB streak. The best anyone can do is make sure their projections aren't skewed by something unsustainable.

What point are you even trying to make? Another desperate attempt to make me "wrong" about something...anything?

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

mossy (06-21-2017), Runnin (06-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Huh? Nobody predicts when someone is going to have a lucky HR/FB streak. The best anyone can do is make sure their projections aren't skewed by something unsustainable.

What point are you even trying to make? Another desperate attempt to make me "wrong" about something...anything?
    Lol oh my... you give yourself way too credit. I enjoy this board bc I love the braves. I made the KEMvP bet bc I thought he'd have a good year and give me something to keep up with once the braves are done with any longshot playoff hopes. Most of the time I just assume to troll you as actually argue with you. Posting here obviously isn't as life-and-death to me as it is to you. Dig in enscheff and prove you are the absolute greatest pretend GM to ever grace the message board world. You the man
    Last edited by msstate7; 06-21-2017 at 01:27 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (06-22-2017), Garmel (06-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    For the love of God, please play 3b for us this season haha

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Lol oh my... you give yourself way too credit. I enjoy this board bc I love the braves. I made the KEMvP bet bc I thought he'd have a good year and give me something to keep up with once the braves are done with any longshot playoff hopes. Most of the time I just assume to troll you as actually argue with you. Posting here obviously isn't as life-and-death to me as it is to you. Dig in enscheff and prove you are the absolute greatest GM to ever grace the message board world. You the man
    Derp along msstake7, derp along lol.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    When Freeman tears his ACL charging a slow roller every single member of the FO should be fired immediately and banned from the game.