Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    This is really going to piss of Joe Simpson, Glavine and the rest of the dinosaurs desperately clinging to the 1990s.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (11-07-2018), UNCBlue012 (11-07-2018)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Analytics drives a lot of people in baseball crazy, but as this new hire by the Braves show, it is becoming a bigger part of the game and the way decisions are made. But there is still a place for the old school thinking that many have and combined correctly with the analytical way of thinking, it can be a huge help to a team. Obviously, the Braves think the same and I like this hire. The old “Braves Way” now we can say is gone and a new version of it is here.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post

Pitch framing and the possible reports of the Braves interest in Relamuto..........Coincidence?
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Pitch framing and the possible reports of the Braves interest in Relamuto..........Coincidence?
    a major signing by AA...i approve
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (11-07-2018), UNCBlue012 (11-07-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    With Kimbrel, its fans being nostalgic more than diving into the performance I believe
    Still an elite closer and still has elite velocity. I do understand the reasoning of not investing a lot of dollars into a reliever, but I also think that Kimbrel is exception to the rule just like Chapman or Rivera.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    To put aside all those clamoring for a Donaldson signing------

"However it may seem from the outside, though, Braves GM Alex Anthopolous made clear today that he doesn’t see a need to seek change in the infield mix. As David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution tweets, the club’s top baseball decisionmaker says that, within the organization, “we feel like we’re set in the infield." "

That's from MLBTR article on Swanson having surgery on wrist

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    This hire is wonderful. Poaching an analytics guy from one of the smartest organizations in baseball is huge. I really hope that this hire points to continuation of a general shift in philosophy that started with the hiring of Anthopoulos. Analytics is the future and I hope the Braves become one of the teams at the forefront

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post

"However it may seem from the outside, though, Braves GM Alex Anthopolous made clear today that he doesn’t see a need to seek change in the infield mix. As David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution tweets, the club’s top baseball decisionmaker says that, within the organization, “we feel like we’re set in the infield." "

Sticking with Camargo/Riley at 3b until the deadline is probably the correct move.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

I still hope that they make a move to acquire a lefty or switch hitter utility player who can provide an ~.800 OPS against RHP. Really, it doesn't even have to be a utility player. It could just be a 3rd baseman and then we could use Camargo to shift around the infield to make the "rotation" possible. I think, ideally, we'd have an infield with Camargo, Ozzie, and Dansby getting 500 plate appearances and whatever lefty addition we get to get ~450 plate appearances.

I think we could make an addition like that fairly cheaply on the market or for minimal prospect cost on the trade market. To me, it'd be a no brainer because it would add ~.100 OPS points to our offense against righties every game, while protecting against injury and whatnot.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Wonder if contreas would be a part. How valuable is he right now?
    AA talked very highly of Contreras yesterday, if it's a 2 for 1, i doubt Contreras.

It's probably Riley and whatever pitcher Miami wants.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Unfortunately, that means nothing.

As far as baseball is concerned, GM-speak replaces English as the official language from November until February.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Sticking with Camargo/Riley at 3b until the deadline is probably the correct move.
    You think so? You don't think something like a Jake Lamb trade or something along those lines might be beneficial to the infield's problem hitting RHP? I don't think the cost of acquisition for that type of move would be that bad.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Still an elite closer and still has elite velocity. I do understand the reasoning of not investing a lot of dollars into a reliever, but I also think that Kimbrel is exception to the rule just like Chapman or Rivera.
    Rivera was an exception because he invented an elite pitch (cutter), and had 80 grade control.

Chapman (probably) is an exception because he throws harder than any pitcher in the history of the game. However, Chapman is the same age as Kimbrel, so it's a little premature to call Chapman an exception.

What unique quality does Kimbrel possess other than being a fan favorite?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-07-2018 at 04:48 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    You think so? You don't think something like a Jake Lamb trade or something along those lines might be beneficial to the infield's problem hitting RHP? I don't think the cost of acquisition for that type of move would be that bad.
    Adding a platoon partner or utility guy is not the same as giving Donaldson $20M per year.

If Camargo is the guy at 3b I fully expect them to add a LHH to the IF bench mix.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Signing Brantley, trading for JT, and getting Donaldson in FA would be the ideal way in FA.

We're gonna have to trade some of these players eventually, cant prospect hoard forever.

If we had to trade, i'd go Wright/Riley for JT, Brantley on a 3 yr deal, and Donaldson on a 1/1. With whats left money wise, sign a high leverage bullpen arm. Probably no on Donaldson actually but we would need a bench bat. Marwin Gonzalez is ideal but i doubt he signs up to not be guaranteed to start.
    Last edited by Heyward; 11-07-2018 at 04:49 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I still hope that they make a move to acquire a lefty or switch hitter utility player who can provide an ~.800 OPS against RHP. Really, it doesn't even have to be a utility player. It could just be a 3rd baseman and then we could use Camargo to shift around the infield to make the "rotation" possible. I think, ideally, we'd have an infield with Camargo, Ozzie, and Dansby getting 500 plate appearances and whatever lefty addition we get to get ~450 plate appearances.

I think we could make an addition like that fairly cheaply on the market or for minimal prospect cost on the trade market. To me, it'd be a no brainer because it would add ~.100 OPS points to our offense against righties every game, while protecting against injury and whatnot.
    This would be the perfect spot to add a couple less-attractive prospects to get Dietrich added to a Realmuto deal.

Then you have the flexibility to add Brantley/McCutchen, AND spend on the pen with plenty of money left for in-season additions - while also hanging onto the vast majority of our Pitching depth.

Not sure all these won't continue to change hourly for the next few weeks, but a Realmuto/Brantley/Britton/Dietrich offseason with plenty of money left would be an awfully nice Christmas present.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-07-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Hard pass on Kimbrel, given it would cost a pick and he'd probably want 4 guaranteed years or 3 years at a high cost, thats a hard pass for me.

Would suck to see him in Philly but Braves cant give that kinda coin to him. He's also been slowly declining the last couple years.
    Last edited by Heyward; 11-07-2018 at 04:49 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Adding a platoon partner or utility guy is not the same as giving Donaldson $20M per year.

If Camargo is the guy at 3b I fully expect them to add a LHH to the IF bench mix.
    Oh, I thought you were saying that going with Riley/Camargo as the primary mix was the best move. But yeah I expect the same thing.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Signing Brantley, trading for JT, and getting Donaldson in FA would be the ideal way in FA.

We're gonna have to trade some of these players eventually, cant prospect hoard forever.

If we had to trade, i'd go Wright/Riley for JT, Brantley on a 3 yr deal, and Donaldson on a 1/1. With whats left money wise, sign a high leverage bullpen arm. Probably no on Donaldson actually but we would need a bench bat. Marwin Gonzalez is ideal but i doubt he signs up to not be guaranteed to start.
    This is something I keep hearing, but Gonzalez could absolutely come close to 500 plate appearances as a super utility man if deployed correctly. He'd basically be a starter, but just at different positions depending on what matchups are on the table that day. We don't have a lineup full of guys without platoon problems.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    This is something I keep hearing, but Gonzalez could absolutely come close to 500 plate appearances as a super utility man if deployed correctly. He'd basically be a starter, but just at different positions depending on what matchups are on the table that day. We don't have a lineup full of guys without platoon problems.
    That's true but considering Bora$ is his agent, i doubt the Braves sign him for the money he ends up getting.