Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Freeman Trade Speculation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Agreed with others... Coppy doesn't appear to be the genius he was made out to be.

I started losing faith after the Olivera deal... and it's gotten worse since
    I'm still confused about the original basis for the belief that he is some sort of wiz.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm still confused about the original basis for the belief that he is some sort of wiz.
    I think the general idea was that since he used a lot of advanced stats compared to who we had that he was a genius by default.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think the general idea was that since he used a lot of advanced stats compared to who we had that he was a genius by default.
    That's relatively unfair. He was considered a pretty bright GM prospect by the baseball community before getting to this role.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    To be fair, while Aybar isn't world beater, he could indeed be a valuable player for next year or possibly 2 years. As Weso pointed out earlier, he was actually better than Simba as recently as 2014. And it isn't like we go from an elite defensive SS to a poor defensive SS. Aybar is still pretty slick with the glove even if he isn't anywhere close to Simbas level (few actually are).
    Simmons-for-Aybar is not an improvement and certainly isn't a win-now move. That is obvious. I don't expect him to say, 'We know Aybar isn't Simmons, but we're trying to win 5 years from now.' But you can't say, 'Oh, deal with it and quit crying, you don't get it.'

You can say something like, 'We know the fan base loves Simmons, and this is always tough. We hated to have to trade him, but we feel like this move gives us a chance to continue to put a quality SS on the field while getting a potential future ace. I know losing is tough, and we're trying to fix that as well as we can, but we're going to do what it takes to build a long-lasting winner. It's tough to take right now, and we get that. Be patient, we do have a plan, and that plan is to acquire as much talent as we can.' That's not too much to ask.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Me too. Understanding advanced stats IS NOT the main part of his job. Communication is.

One thing you have to give JS: he never displayed anything but supreme confidence and a belief in the greatness of the organization. He could be prickly at times but he never whined.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Me too. Understanding advanced stats IS NOT the main part of his job. Communication is.

One thing you have to give JS: he never displayed anything but supreme confidence and a belief in the greatness of the organization. He could be prickly at times but he never whined.
    Well I don't even understand where the notion comes from that JC is a stats wiz.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Well I don't even understand where the notion comes from that JC is a stats wiz.
    I guess that assumption is wishful thinking. He has to be good at something, right?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Simmons-for-Aybar is not an improvement and certainly isn't a win-now move. That is obvious. I don't expect him to say, 'We know Aybar isn't Simmons, but we're trying to win 5 years from now.' But you can't say, 'Oh, deal with it and quit crying, you don't get it.'

You can say something like, 'We know the fan base loves Simmons, and this is always tough. We hated to have to trade him, but we feel like this move gives us a chance to continue to put a quality SS on the field while getting a potential future ace. I know losing is tough, and we're trying to fix that as well as we can, but we're going to do what it takes to build a long-lasting winner. It's tough to take right now, and we get that. Be patient, we do have a plan, and that plan is to acquire as much talent as we can.' That's not too much to ask.
    Read between the lines what has been said about this deal by Copo. He has stated that the Braves want to sign Aybar to an extension. When the time comes to talk to him, if he's unwilling to deal, then he gets dealt. They are going to give him a chance to add a year or two (no more) to 2016, giving Albies a reasonable time frame to progress.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Read between the lines what has been said about this deal by Copo. He has stated that the Braves want to sign Aybar to an extension. When the time comes to talk to him, if he's unwilling to deal, then he gets dealt. They are going to give him a chance to add a year or two (no more) to 2016, giving Albies a reasonable time frame to progress.
    I'm not sure what this has to do with my post. I don't care what we do with Aybar; I'd rather trade him than extend him. What I care about here is the way our FO is communicating with the fan base. They're doing a horrible job of it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    I don't understand why fans give a damn about the PR skills of their GM. If there ever was a position where a person should be evaluated based upon their results, that's the one.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

CrimsonCowboy (11-19-2015), rico43 (11-19-2015), Tapate50 (11-19-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I don't understand why fans give a damn about the PR skills of their GM. If there ever was a position where a person should be evaluated based upon their results, that's the one.
    Public perception of the results is all that matters and that will be determined in large part by the faith the team and the fanbase has in the GM.

Knowing what to say and how to say it is something that JS and JH do about as well as anyone.
    Last edited by Runnin; 11-19-2015 at 04:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I only care about his public statements to the extent to which they offer some clues as to the quality of his thinking and temperament. And yes I know there is some heavy spinning going on and try to filter that out.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-19-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

I think the point is, Aybar shouldn't be as massive of a downgrade (based off their recent #s) that most people are suggesting. He still produced a 2.3 WAR in 2015 and will likely be better offensively than Simmons next season. He will be 32 next season, so that is a concern, but we also got back two very promising pitchers in the deal as well. Its a trade that could help out both long term and short term.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-19-2015 at 08:19 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-19-2015)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    He could be prickly at times but he never whined.
    To make matters worse, Coppy doesn't have the manliest of voices either...

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    He will be 32 next season, so that is a concern, but we also got back two very promising pitchers in the deal as well.
    We do love our 30+ year olds.

Think about it, every offensive acquisition we have made is 30+ year olds...

Markakis, AJP, Olivera, and now Aybar... am I missing something?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts

Ah.....the Braves Way is good isn't it?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts

Jace, Maybin, Eury..

but you also missed Callaspo, Uribe, KJ, Bourn, Swisher, EYjr

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I think the point is, Aybar shouldn't be as massive of a downgrade (based off their recent #s) that most people are suggesting. He still produced a 2.3 WAR in 2015 and will likely be better offensively than Simmons next season. He will be 32 next season, so that is a concern, but we also got back two very promising pitchers in the deal as well. Its a trade that could help out both long term and short term.
    I hope this Aybar spin is just that. Aybar is not a bad player but he is not as good as Simmons so we will be worse overall at the SS position barring the random career year. They were the same offensively in 2015 and likely will be in 2016 as well. Again I hope the talk of Aybar having that 276 career average while Simmons never hitting 276 and Aybar being an all-star a couple of years ago is just spin for the casual fan. And if it is then that's fine. I mean we heard the same lines about Markakis replacing Heyward last year.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I hope this Aybar spin is just that. Aybar is not a bad player but he is not as good as Simmons so we will be worse overall at the SS position barring the random career year. They were the same offensively in 2015 and likely will be in 2016 as well. Again I hope the talk of Aybar having that 276 career average while Simmons never hitting 276 and Aybar being an all-star a couple of years ago is just spin for the casual fan. And if it is then that's fine. I mean we heard the same lines about Markakis replacing Heyward last year.
    I hope we trade Aybor personally. this is his only year he will be here.. We are going to stink next year. Get some value from him...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    I don't see us trading Aybar until after the season has started. He is really the only option at the position we have until Albies is ready. Yeah you can try Garcia but really he is not an everyday option. You put Aybar out there and hope he has a good first half of the season. Trade him at the deadline and pick up prospects.