Thread: Take a chance on Donovan Tate

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Take a chance on Donovan Tate

I don't consider myself a bleeding heart and the statistics offer little support to my proposal, but I kinda wish the Braves would take a chance on former No. 3 overall pick and Padres' problem child Donovan Tate and bring him to camp as a minor league free agent.

Yes, he had drug problems. Yes, he tore his Achilles. Yes, he hit only .211 in 2015. But here is the argument: Tate showed enough as a Cartersville, Ga., prep player to acquire the largest signing bonus ever by the Padres ($6.25 million, thanks, Scott Boras). A series of wrong decisions kept his career at a standstill, but he clearly was not emotionally ready to become a pro player out of high school.

Now, he's 25 and just finished his first full season without an injury problem. He has had, since becoming a pro, a stress fracture in his pubic bone (ouch), a sports hernia, a shoulder injury, a knee injury, a wrist injury and he even missed a month with a intestinal problem. He missed most of 2013 and all of 2014 with his Achilles injury. All in the past, thank goodness for him.

He was considered the player with the highest upside of any player in the draft in 2009. The Padres called him "A freak." His father, of course, was UGa and NFL running back Lars Tate. He has not been a discipline problem of late, and he still wants to prove himself.

He may have been one of the best prep players Georgia has ever seen. And frankly, this would seem to be the perfect time to allow him to try to win a job in the organization. My gut tells me he has something left to offer. But then, I don't know nearly as much about baseball as some of you.
    Last edited by rico43; 11-19-2015 at 05:55 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (11-20-2015), GovClintonTyree (11-20-2015), Hawk (11-19-2015), Hudson2 (11-19-2015), mossy (11-20-2015), Runnin (11-20-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I don't see what it could hurt. If there is even a semblance of a chance the light bulb could come on now that he's matured and healthy, it could be a lightning in a bottle chance. I would love to see him get the chance as I'm from Cartersville... it used to be an event going to watch him play baseball and football. Dude was just a crazy athlete.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I don't see what it could hurt. If there is even a semblance of a chance the light bulb could come on now that he's matured and healthy, it could be a lightning in a bottle chance. I would love to see him get the chance as I'm from Cartersville... it used to be an event going to watch him play baseball and football. Dude was just a crazy athlete.
    ZB, wow. My parents live in C'ville. I graduated from Cass. Small world. You probably know my whole sports fam. Ronnie Brown, Keith Henderson, Lavette, V. Beasley(Adairsville) ...there is definitely talent in C'ville and Tate was just gifted. Wouldn't hurt to try but in baseball he always gave me Lombard jitters. He flashed a little bit so you never know.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

zbhargrove (11-20-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Interesting suggestion. I'd buy.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I'd sign him, but he's almost certainly not gonna amount to anything. He's 24 and hasn't been to AA. Which wouldn't be bad if he had 1 year in the minors because he was an older college player, but for a prep school kid, that's not good. He's struck out way too much and doesn't have the power to make up for that K rate. He needs someone to just try to retool him entirely. If he has **** pitch recognition have him swing through the ball and try to be a power player. From what I remember of him in the draft he has really raw potential and that includes power.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I'd sign him, but he's almost certainly not gonna amount to anything. He's 24 and hasn't been to AA. Which wouldn't be bad if he had 1 year in the minors because he was an older college player, but for a prep school kid, that's not good. He's struck out way too much and doesn't have the power to make up for that K rate. He needs someone to just try to retool him entirely. If he has **** pitch recognition have him swing through the ball and try to be a power player. From what I remember of him in the draft he has really raw potential and that includes power.
    I never understand this kind of analysis. He's 20-something and not at the level he should be. If he had injuries, went to college, burned a couple years on drugs, of course he's not going to match up with the usual age. Doesn't mean he can't be a productive ML player, just later and not as long.

But then, if he had a stress fracture in his pubic bone, it can't have been a totally wasted five years. At least he was laying some pipe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I never understand this kind of analysis. He's 20-something and not at the level he should be. If he had injuries, went to college, burned a couple years on drugs, of course he's not going to match up with the usual age. Doesn't mean he can't be a productive ML player, just later and not as long.

But then, if he had a stress fracture in his pubic bone, it can't have been a totally wasted five years. At least he was laying some pipe.
    The Evan Gattis route to the major leagues.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (11-20-2015), The Chosen One (11-20-2015)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,366 Posts

LOL.. you know the pubic bone usually refers to the Pubis... which is more like your butt.. So any pipe laying would have been in reverse..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Runnin (11-20-2015)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Good thing our front office is laying pipe. It will make zeets happy we'll have a pipeline of young kids coming through the organization.
    Forever Fredi

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    LOL.. you know the pubic bone usually refers to the Pubis... which is more like your butt.. So any pipe laying would have been in reverse..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Tate was **** from the beginning. I would sign him but I wouldnt trade anything for him. I was praying we didnt waste our draft pick on him at the time.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    People correctly pointed out at the time how awful that selection was. Was drafted because he was a good athlete, not because he was a good baseball player.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Teoscar Hernandez was left unprotected. Would LOVE to take a shot on him

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    A guy whose calling card was his athleticism that tore his Achilles? Dude is probably toast, but I wouldn't complain if we gave him a minor league deal.

High School Draftee gamecock4braves's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

The reason is if he went to school he'd have less professional time. As a HS kid (especially a first rounder) you're on a path to the majors that's typically 5-6 years at the most. As a college player it's 2-3.

The number of guys who were drafted out of prep school and didn't make it to AA before 25 and amounted to anything is pretty slim. Even if we look at Josh Hamilton who was out of baseball for 3-4 years, he made his way to AA at 20.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Sure, why not? He would probably hit 3rd for us.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The reason is if he went to school he'd have less professional time. As a HS kid (especially a first rounder) you're on a path to the majors that's typically 5-6 years at the most. As a college player it's 2-3.

The number of guys who were drafted out of prep school and didn't make it to AA before 25 and amounted to anything is pretty slim. Even if we look at Josh Hamilton who was out of baseball for 3-4 years, he made his way to AA at 20.
    Yeah, it's not just that he's older, it's that he has a lot of time in a professional system and still hasn't been able to make it any further than he has. It doesn't inspire any confidence in his ability to turn things around if he hasn't yet. If he were fresh out of school and was at this point, he would have a better argument because he was still not in a professional system with all the benefits that come with it.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    The Dodgers are also expected to sign outfielder Donavan Tate, Baseball America’s John Manuel tweets. Tate, now 25, has struggled to establish himself since the Padres drafted him with the third overall pick in 2009. In 2015, he hit .211/.290/.334 for Class A+ Lake Elsinore.