Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Maybin To The Tigers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    The roster as currently constructed is projected to win more games than we did last year, albeit just 2 more. We have > $30m to spend this offseason. We have MLB / MLB-ready pitching depth from which to trade.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Don't mind trading Maybin. He's nothing spectacular, but for the love of ****, was there not a team out there we could have traded him to for at least some kind of offense? I mean **** me....
    Im good with rebuilding, better than being in baseball purgatory but i've said that as well.

Can we get some damn bats, FFS.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (11-21-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Ahh yep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    There's no way to predict what the roster is gonna look like come April.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-20-2015), buck75 (11-20-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Im good with rebuilding, better than being in baseball purgatory but i've said that as well.

Can we get some damn bats, FFS.
    "A big part of our plan has been to add as many pitching prospects as we can, while at the same time creating as much financial flexibility as possible," Braves general manager John Coppolella said. "This trade carries out both of those tenets."

"We felt this was a good opportunity to deal from an area of strength and continue to add pitching," Coppolella said. "We really like the two arms that we got ... it's hard finding left-handed pitching. We feel like we got some guys that can get better."

"We have faith in [pitching coach] Roger McDowell, and he has helped a lot of guys like Ian Krol," Coppolella said. "When we got Eric O'Flaherty, he had a 20.25 ERA, and a few years later through hard work with Roger, he became the first reliever to produce a [sub-1.00] ERA with at least 70 appearances. I don't have any idea if that is going to happen with Ian Krol, but there is a lot of talent and he's just 24 years old. He's had some past big league success."
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-20-2015 at 09:31 PM.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    "A big part of our plan has been to add as many pitching prospects as we can, while at the same time creating as much financial flexibility as possible," Braves general manager John Coppolella said. "This trade carries out both of those tenets."

"We felt this was a good opportunity to deal from an area of strength and continue to add pitching," Coppolella said. "We really like the two arms that we got ... it's hard finding left-handed pitching. We feel like we got some guys that can get better."

"We have faith in [pitching coach] Roger McDowell, and he has helped a lot of guys like Ian Krol," Coppolella said. "When we got Eric O'Flaherty, he had a 20.25 ERA, and a few years later through hard work with Roger, he became the first reliever to produce a [sub-1.00] ERA with at least 70 appearances. I don't have any idea if that is going to happen with Ian Krol, but there is a lot of talent and he's just 24 years old. He's had some past big league success."
    Yondu says booley, booley, booley, booley

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Again, Coppy's defending the deal with saying " Roger has worked miracles before".....but it still comes off as defensive and strange.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    There's nothing wrong with the guys we got here. This was a salary dump and a good move. I suspect Maybin will regress next season.

However, we should have traded him mid-season. There was no reason to hold onto him when his value would only go down.

The trade today was fine considering Maybins current value. We should have dealt him earlier and gotten a real prospect.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-20-2016)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the guys we got here. This was a salary dump and a good move. I suspect Maybin will regress next season.

However, we should have traded him mid-season. There was no reason to hold onto him when his value would only go down.

The trade today was fine considering Maybins current value. We should have dealt him earlier and gotten a real prospect.
    I just think they aren't maximizing value because they are to focused in on one particular Dogma.

For instance, Cleveland needs an OF, specifically a short term CF but they don't have much money. Could the Braves have sent them Maybin plus a pitching prospect plus some cash for Frazier? Maybe, especially since Frazier is behind Zimmer and Brantley appears to be their McCutchen.

Or maybe Maybin and a couple million for Tyler Naquin, who the Indians had to protect today.

This whole pitching obsession is Smeagle like with Coppy saying "my preciouses" each time he gets a new long shot arm.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-20-2016)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    It doesn't matter, Maybin is still young......we could've used him in 2017
    Maybin isn't that young, He'll be 29 opening day. And in his entire major league career has managed 2 seasons with an fWAR over 1.

I'm fine with salary dumping him, very good chance he's not worth the 7 mil we would be paying him, can easily invest that in a project type in FA. Jimmy Rollins immediately comes to mind.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I just think they aren't maximizing value because they are to focused in on one particular Dogma.

For instance, Cleveland needs an OF, specifically a short term CF but they don't have much money. Could the Braves have sent them Maybin plus a pitching prospect plus some cash for Frazier? Maybe, especially since Frazier is behind Zimmer and Brantley appears to be their McCutchen.

Or maybe Maybin and a couple million for Tyler Naquin, who the Indians had to protect today.

This whole pitching obsession is Smeagle like with Coppy saying "my preciouses" each time he gets a new long shot arm.
    Cleveland isn't a particularly good "for instance" with Brantley's shoulder injury. He is project to miss much of April and quite possibly a bit more. That would make Frazier a bit more valuable in the short team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post

I think the issue is that no team is willing to give up much for Maybin. He had a .600 OPS after the break and it's not like that's a fluke in his career. The Tigers bit hoping to get first half Maybin. However, no one was going to pay much because of the risk of getting second half Maybin.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Maybin isn't that young, He'll be 29 opening day. And in his entire major league career has managed 2 seasons with an fWAR over 1.

I'm fine with salary dumping him, very good chance he's not worth the 7 mil we would be paying him, can easily invest that in a project type in FA. Jimmy Rollins immediately comes to mind.
    I really like the idea of bringing in a guy like Rollins if he'd be interested.

Rollins
    Markakis
    Freeman
    Olivera
    Aybar
    AJ
    Garcia
    Peterson

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I think the issue is that no team is willing to give up much for Maybin. He had a .600 OPS after the break and it's not like that's a fluke in his career. The Tigers bit hoping to get first half Maybin. However, no one was going to pay much because of the risk of getting second half Maybin.
    I have 2 issues with the Maybin trade...the return and the timing.

I understand he isn't very valuable by himself, but if he were included in a package the return might have been a prospect that is actually valuable. There was no rush to trade him, so why settle for a return that was basically zero? Why the rush to shed salary when it's clear the Braves aren't going to be in on any impact FAs?

My second issue is the timing of this trade. Maybins value would have increased as the 2nd tier OFers like Parra and Fowler started coming off the board. At that point some team with a hole in the OF might have paid more to acquire Maybin after missing out on the other guys. I have to imagine an equally unimpressive trade for Maybin could have been made at any point of this offseason, so why not wait a bit and see if some contender with a tight budget got desperate after missing out on the affordable FA bats?

I just don't get the series of moves this front office is making. They simply aren't logical, and they are doing a very poor job at maximizing the returns on the assets they are trading away.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-20-2015 at 10:38 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-20-2015), skillet (11-20-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I'm glad we traded Maybin. Deal is nothing special, but it's not bad, so...that's good.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    The days of Pepe Frias, Brian Asselstine, Roland Office, Willie Montanez will haunt my dreams again.
    Pretty sure those dudes are in the opening day eight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Well, yes. We did need an MLB-ready LH reliever.
    What we need are runs.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I have 2 issues with the Maybin trade...the return and the timing.

I understand he isn't very valuable by himself, but if he were included in a package the return might have been a prospect that is actually valuable. There was no rush to trade him, so why settle for a return that was basically zero? Why the rush to shed salary when it's clear the Braves aren't going to be in on any impact FAs?

My second issue is the timing of this trade. Maybins value would have increased as the 2nd tier OFers like Parra and Fowler started coming off the board. At that point some team with a hole in the OF might have paid more to acquire Maybin after missing out on the other guys. I have to imagine an equally unimpressive trade for Maybin could have been made at any point of this offseason, so why not wait a bit and see if some contender with a tight budget got desperate after missing out on the affordable FA bats?

I just don't get the series of moves this front office is making. They simply aren't logical, and they are doing a very poor job at maximizing the returns on the assets they are trading away.
    The timing only makes sense if they are freeing money to actually try and sign someone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Doesn't really matter, the useful piece is Speier. He has a chance to be a LOOGY that actually helps the team win, unlike Krol.

This was clearly a salary dump, which means they are about to spend some money. I'm guessing Freese and Latos.
    That was a spectacular leap in logic, assisted by the rarefied air of wishful thinking.

I'm more in the camp of, here's a few more bucks that Liberty puts in their soulless pockets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Speier went from the Red Sox to the Tigers in the Cespedes deal. Here was Detroit analysis:

Gabe Speier doesn’t have standout size or raw stuff, but he has solid feel for pitching and showed some potential after making his return from Tommy John surgery during the 2014 season. Speier was a 19th-round selection in 2013 and received an overslot bonus of $200,000 to sign away from his commitment to UC Santa Barbara. He comes from strong bloodlines with his uncle being former major league pitcher Chris Speier.

Speier is athletic, but undersized, listed at 6-foot-0, 175 pounds. He is relatively polished and has good feel for pitching. His fastball works in the 90-92 mph range, touching up to 93-94 mph in the past. However, he has struggled to hold his velocity as he works deeper in games. His secondary offerings include a curveball and changeup, both of which have shown potential.
    Friendly amendment, Rico: Chris Speier was a shortstop. With the Giants.