Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 8/9 GDT BRAVES GAME 2 vs Brooooers

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Personally, I think he is a full grade above Whalen and has a legit shot to stick as a back of the rotation guy. He could be a low 4 ERA guy that is useful while he is cheap.
    That might be the most positive thing you have said about a Braves prospect in a long time.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Jenkins reminds me most of Glavine. Not stuff wise but just his overall game. Glavine would seem to always go 7 innings walking around 3 and striking out around 5. Nothing flashy and seemed to work in and out of trouble a lot. You always heard Glavine just competed out there. Seems every start jenks just competes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Personally, I think he is a full grade above Whalen and has a legit shot to stick as a back of the rotation guy. He could be a low 4 ERA guy that is useful while he is cheap.
    It could certainly turn out that way, but track record in MiLB would seem to give Whalen the edge, no? Just eyeballing the stats . . . Whalen's posted a 2.75ish FIP at AA and above in his age 22 season. Jenkins is at a 4ish FIP at AA and above in his age 23 and 24 seasons.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    It could certainly turn out that way, but track record in MiLB would seem to give Whalen the edge, no? Just eyeballing the stats . . . Whalen's posted a 2.75ish FIP at AA and above in his age 22 season. Jenkins is at a 4ish FIP at AA and above in his age 23 and 24 seasons.
    Because I look at these guys in the scope of 3-5 MLB seasons and how they are likely to age in those seasons, not just the year they come up. Guys like Whalen can and do succeed for a season or so all the time, but they rarely have staying power. I also make these determinations in relation to their roles on a 90+ win championship caliber club, not a 60 win club where guys liike Adonis Garcia, Jeff Francoeur and Gordon Beckham get significant playing time.

Jenkins has a present advantage over Whalen in stuff, frame and athleticism. Jenkins is more likely to maintain or improve his stuff while improving his control than Whalen is to do either. All of this is barring injury, of course.

I see Jenkins as a potential 4/5 starter over the next 3-5 seasons, but he will most likely settle in as a middle reliever or AAAA arm.

I see Whalen as a potential spot starter or long man in the BP the next 3-5 seasons, but will probably just flame out and vanish.

Folty is the only current guy with true TOR potential, but he will most likely end up as a "stuff" #3 that everyone keeps expecting more from.

Teheran is in the mold of Tim Hudson, a solid #2 that flashes Ace.

Wisler has the potential to be a MOR guy, but he will most likely settle in as a innings eating #4.