Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christian Bethancourt Called Up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Im not sure and too lazy to look but isnt Bethancourt a RH hitter? If so think it is more likely Laird is traded in off season.
    Bethancourt is right handed, I'm also hoping Laird is traded and replaced if we do go with three catchers again (minus Mac sadly). My issue with Laird isn't his bat so much as him being one of the worst at framing pitches in MLB, etc. He is said to be very good on the bench and in the clubhouse though (and that's likely a big part of why we signed him).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Maybe Rico can comment, but I saw a lot of box scores where La Stella was removed in the back third of the game....is his defense a concern?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Maybe Rico can comment, but I saw a lot of box scores where La Stella was removed in the back third of the game....is his defense a concern?
    See my review of game one of Mississippi's playoff series in the minor league game thread. La Stella had a ball go through his legs that led to Mobile's rally to tie that game. It was also ruled a hit too. There was also another play that game that the Mississippi announcer seemed to imply a lack of range on La Stella's part. Note, I was listening on the Mississippi radio feed so my feedback here is all based on their call of it.

To sum it up, it does seem La Stella's defense isn't very good. But I still have a hard time believing it's worse than Uggla's defense.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I have long been a proponent of Bethancourt. It was great to see him improve and I'm excited to see him. I have to admit that this logjam is a headscratcher though. As someone mentioned, it probably won't be prudent to give a lot to Mac, but I'll sure miss him. Defensively, if you haven't seen much of Beth, you'll be in for a treat. He's got it all and even got better with passed balls from when he first started.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Evidently La Stella came out of a game recently due to a migrane.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Ideally it would be great to have Mac back but it does seem to be an inefficient use of limited resources. Just wish Liberty would spend some of this supposed "profit" that the club is making.
    They are. New luxury cars, mansions, yachts, real estate, wining and dining. Maybe even a nickel or two to their shareholders...

...oh, you mean spend a bit more on the Braves baseball team!! I bet that thought never crossed their minds...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravebonebook For This Useful Post:

thethe (09-09-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I guess I'm one of the few who think both Bethancourt and La Stella would benefit from starting next year in AAA. La Stella obviously because he needs to improve the defense. And Bethancourt because I don't think his bat is quite ready for the majors. There is no need to rush these guys. Give them a few months in AAA.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-09-2013)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    C-B, Gattis, Laird, and McCann.....at least 1 of those guys is gone next year.

We know the most likely scenario is McCann goes and C-B and Gattis play. Maybe Laird stays and bring up C-B later in the year.

I'd prefer a scenario where we keep Mac and we can trade one of C-B or Gattis. If C-B doesn't look lost at the plate, he could be a sell high option. Gattis could be really attractive to an AL team. DH that you can stick behind the plate and LF if needed for a cheap cost.

We will probably know early. McCann prob signs ASAP if he's staying a Brave. Then Wrenn has time to deal from a position of strength. In the more likely scenario we'll know our best offer isn't good enough and Wrenn can focus on trying to replace the drop from Mac to Gattis/CB by doing something at 2B or 3B.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-09-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    I hate to see this because its a big sign that McCann is leaving. If he isnt signed by the time the teams exclusive negotiating window ends he is as good as gone. My bet would be on Texas. Even if that happened I didnt think Bethancourt would be on the team until atleast halfway thru 2014. I really like having an elite defensive catcher but I just dont have faith in prospects that are so aggressive at the plate. I would put Bethancourt's upside at the plate next year right around what Simmons did this year. We just cant afford another black hole in the lineup.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravebonebook View Post
    They are. New luxury cars, mansions, yachts, real estate, wining and dining. Maybe even a nickel or two to their shareholders...

...oh, you mean spend a bit more on the Braves baseball team!! I bet that thought never crossed their minds...
    It has been said many times that Liberty takes nothing from the Braves earnings. If you are familiar with balance sheets, Braves earnings would not even equal a couple pennies to the shareholders.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    It has been said many times that Liberty takes nothing from the Braves earnings. If you are familiar with balance sheets, Braves earnings would not even equal a couple pennies to the shareholders.
    OK, then let's see more spending for the team with these increased profits. Why can't the team be able to re-sign a fan-favorite, possible lifetime catcher to a reasonable and fair contract for both sides as well as make long term investments in Kimbrel, Heyward, Freeman, Simmons, Minor and our other young pitchers, et. al. The payroll doesn't have to be in the Dodger or Yankee stratosphere but can be higher than it is now, right?

All I keep hearing is that the Braves are a mid-level franchise now but keep getting these profits. I can understand a player leaving for more money if the Braves deem him not worth the value BUT, all things equal, they should never lose a player they want and need just because of the money.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravebonebook View Post
    OK, then let's see more spending for the team with these increased profits. Why can't the team be able to re-sign a fan-favorite, possible lifetime catcher to a reasonable and fair contract for both sides as well as make long term investments in Kimbrel, Heyward, Freeman, Simmons, Minor and our other young pitchers, et. al. The payroll doesn't have to be in the Dodger or Yankee stratosphere but can be higher than it is now, right?

All I keep hearing is that the Braves are a mid-level franchise now but keep getting these profits. I can understand a player leaving for more money if the Braves deem him not worth the value BUT, all things equal, they should never lose a player they want and need just because of the money.
    What money and what profits are you talking about. You do know that until next year, we have one of the worse TV contracts in existance.. JS, Wren have both publically stated that Liberty takes not one dime from the Braves and have only limited payroll to income. So where would you think these "profits" have gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Good.

But I am going to miss McCann. Hope he continues to have a great career.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

thethe (09-09-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Good.

But I am going to miss McCann. Hope he continues to have a great career.
    +1
    Natural Immunity Croc

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Good.

But I am going to miss McCann. Hope he continues to have a HOF career.
    FTFY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Thanks.

If we are letting him go, I hope Oakland grabs him. They are #2 on my list of favorite teams. He would be a great fit there.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    This doesn't spell the end of Mac, it just means we can showcase Bethancourt and hope we can package him with Uggla somewhere to get money off the books.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I'd be surprised if Bethancourt plays much. Fredi is having enough trouble getting the guys who will be on the post-season roster enough at bats to keep them sharp.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'd be surprised if Bethancourt plays much. Fredi is having enough trouble getting the guys who will be on the post-season roster enough at bats to keep them sharp.
    Forever Fredi

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (09-09-2013), jpx7 (09-09-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    This doesn't spell the end of Mac, it just means we can showcase Bethancourt and hope we can package him with Uggla somewhere to get money off the books.
    This combined with Bethancourt's epic defense, Gattis approaching 20+ HRs in a failed season, and Laird being on the books next year pretty much does.