Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzalez or Wren; who's your goat?

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Gonzalez or Wren; who's your goat?

I see a lot of people complain about Fredi Gonzalez on here and I'm not so sure I feel the same way. At the beginning of the season, or even before it started, I looked at the roster and thought to myself, this is a team that will make it into the playoffs and then out in the first round.

I thought that because of a team that hits a lot of home runs, and or strikes out a lot. Usually players that strike out a lot and hit for a lot of power build big stats on lower level pitchers. I mean if you think about it, about 20 percent of your games should be against the 5 starter on the other team. That's about 32 games, so why wouldn't a power hitter be able to feast on those pitchers and hit at least 32 home runs a year? The problem is those players aren't in the playoffs.

At the beginning of the season I saw that as a major problem for this team. Several of our players where with other teams last year so it's not our coaching staff that made them be who they are, they just are that type of hitter. To me, that all falls on Wren, not Gonzalez. This team did exactly what I expected of it this year, and my expectations were the result of the team that was assembled on the field, not in the way it was managed.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Is there a Terry McGuirk option?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I blame Kimbrel. Time to get a closer who can push himself in the biggest game of the year.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Gary82 (11-04-2013)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Fredi is not the guy to push us over the top and Wren has a pretty bad track record on his major transactions so I'd have no remorse if either or both went away tomorrow, they could both be easily replaced with someone who would be at least even money to be better.

But goat? Are you serious? We won 93 games. That's not "lets start firing people" territory. I don't think Fredi's contract has been extended so if we regress in 2014 he's a goner. And you're right, Wren should go too.

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteirish View Post
    Fredi is not the guy to push us over the top and Wren has a pretty bad track record on his major transactions so I'd have no remorse if either or both went away tomorrow, they could both be easily replaced with someone who would be at least even money to be better.

But goat? Are you serious? We won 93 games. That's not "lets start firing people" territory. I don't think Fredi's contract has been extended so if we regress in 2014 he's a goner. And you're right, Wren should go too.

that bj upton contract alone should get somebody fired.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to chipchildress For This Useful Post:

Teheran_49 (11-04-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Wren has had his share of mistakes, no one will deny that. Kawakami, Lowe, Uggla, BJ. He's also done good things.
    They both take some blame. But Fredi made decisions in crucial situations when games were in our hand that cost us the games.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Neither.

Every GM makes bad moves.

And Fredi gets WAYYY too much flack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Wren has done more positive than negative for this team. Can't say that about Fredi.
    Some people won't even entertain the possibility that Fredi is just not a good manager.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Wren has pretty much flopped on every major contract the team has signed since he took over. He also seems to never, ever, be willing to sell high on an over-performing player (Hanson, Jair, Medlen, and most likely CJ this year).

On the flip side, he has been pretty excellent in every trade he has made (has there even been one that wasn't a clear "win" for the Braves?). He also does very well at collecting contributers off the scrap heap (the so called "free talent").

All in all Wren does a good job. If he could get his large contracts to work out he would be considered one of the top GMs in the game. Everyone expected Uggla to decline towards the end of his extension, but nobody could have forseen his dramatic fall. BJ was clearly overpaid, but again, nobody could have predicted last season.

Fredi does a lot of dumb stuff, but there is a lot more to managing a MLB ballclub than strategic decisions made during the game. Like I have said before, BP usage for the playoffs was likely discussed by the entire leadership of the organization before the series even started. That means Roger was in on the decision too, and everyone here just spent the last week taking turns putting their nose up his ass while calling him an integral piece of the team. Limiting Kimbrel to 4 outs was almost certainly not a decision made by Fredi alone, so laying the blame at his feet for the NLDS loss is pretty idiotic.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-04-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Wren has done more positive than negative for this team. Can't say that about Fredi.
    Some people won't even entertain the possibility that Fredi is just not a good manager.
    He makes his fair share of mistakes but hes nowhere near as bad as some on here like to think he is.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteirish View Post
    They won 96 games and had the third best record in baseball.

People who believe the season was a failure will never be satified. Even if they won the world series people would have found stuff to b!tch about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Fredi does a lot of dumb stuff, but there is a lot more to managing a MLB ballclub than strategic decisions made during the game. Like I have said before, BP usage for the playoffs was likely discussed by the entire leadership of the organization before the series even started. That means Roger was in on the decision too, and everyone here just spent the last week taking turns putting their nose up his ass while calling him an integral piece of the team. Limiting Kimbrel to 4 outs was almost certainly not a decision made by Fredi alone, so laying the blame at his feet for the NLDS loss is pretty idiotic.
    When it comes down to it, Fredi is the manager. He ultimately makes the decisions. It seemed the clear option at that time was to use the best RP in baseball. Despite what was potentially discussed or agreed on, our best guy did not get used in the most crucial game of the season. That falls on Fredi's shoulders. He has the power to make the logical move, and he failed to do so. As the manager, that becomes your fault. That's part of being the manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    They won 96 games and had the third best record in baseball.

People who believe the season was a failure will never be satified. Even if they won the world series people would have found stuff to b!tch about.
    Yeah, but those wins mean little. I don't think this season was a total failure, much of it was very enjoyable. But it sucks to your squad totally falter in the playoffs...again. Not easy to be happy about that.

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I blame Kimbrel. Time to get a closer who can push himself in the biggest game of the year.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    With all the injuries we had and two of our highest paid players underperforming how can you consider a 96 win season a failure? People are spoiled rotten. We weren't even supposed to win the division this year. I'd say we overachieved if anything. Fredi and Wren both did a good job putting together a championship caliber club. Fans will never be satisfied.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-04-2013), Heyward (11-04-2013)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    When it comes down to it, Fredi is the manager. He ultimately makes the decisions. It seemed the clear option at that time was to use the best RP in baseball. Despite what was potentially discussed or agreed on, our best guy did not get used in the most crucial game of the season. That falls on Fredi's shoulders. He has the power to make the logical move, and he failed to do so. As the manager, that becomes your fault. That's part of being the manager.
    Correct. However, claiming another manager would have made any other decision is absurd. No other manager would have went against the organizational decision to pitch Kimbrel 4 innings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    smh. One person says the word "failure" and suddenly, everyone here said the season was a failure...when in fact, no one said that.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I'll say it again, only posters on this board consider him a bad manager. He's well respected in the game of baseball.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

Heyward (11-04-2013)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    How many teams in the playoffs used their closer for 6 outs?

Answer, not many.

Fredi makes his fair share of mistakes but people always blame him after every little thing that goes wrong.

We won 96 games despite missing Heyward for a chunk of the year, lost EOF/Venters for the year, Uggla/BJ essentially did nothing.

They kinda overachieved if anything, shrugs.

Fredi is no different than any other manager who are far from perfect.

I already said this, if they were gonna use him for 6, do it for a clean inning, not with Puig at 2nd who possibly could of scored.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Yeah, but those wins mean little. I don't think this season was a total failure, much of it was very enjoyable. But it sucks to your squad totally falter in the playoffs...again. Not easy to be happy about that.
    Sure, but Fredi doesnt make pitches or hit.

It's up to the players to execute.

Is it Fredi's fault Kershaw was dominant Game 1, is that on him?

Is it Fredi's fault Julio got rocked in Game 3?

Is it Fredi's fault we had pretty much 2-3 players hit all series, cant win like that.

The hate Fredi gets is out of damn control.