Page 45 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    That may or may not be reality, but I think that is a pretty tough sell to the GM of the Reds. They've basically been in a rebuild since 2014 and I don't think they're just gonna accept the notion that they'll still be in a rebuild in 2023.

Plus, I think you're kinda overstating the futility of their current situation. The Cubs are on the back end of their competitive window and have major issues to address moving forward. The Cardinals always seen to find a way to be decent, but that team doesn't appear to be approach juggernaut status any time soon. Outside of a few guys, a lot of the Brewer's core is either aging or on very short term deals. Plus their pitching isn't anything to write home about. I think its completely possible that the NL Central is wide open by 2021. Even more so than it is today.
    I’m not overstating anything. Votto is having a bad year, they have 3 prospects in the top 100 and their best prospect just had tommy john. Anything could happen but the Cubs have the money to outspend most mistakes so I wouldn’t say the Reds will be up there in 2 years. Their best play would be to turn 1 good piece into 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    How so? Would they not be getting top flight young talent back??
    Well he’s not a free agent until 2024... the Reds are still a ways away but they’ve drafted well and started the rebuild really solid. He could easily be a cornerstone contributor for multiple years while they are competitive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,965 Posts
    With the Cubs, Brewers, and Cards all being a lot better than them it’ll be 3 or 4 years before they surpass or come close to passing those teams. By then his control will be minimal.
    The Cubs are pretty close to being bad for a long time again. Nothing in the farm and holes developing on the big league club... the Cards are and have been on a major down swing. I think the Brewers and the Reds are the future of the central

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,965 Posts
    I’m not overstating anything. Votto is having a bad year, they have 3 prospects in the top 100 and their best prospect just had tommy john. Anything could happen but the Cubs have the money to outspend most mistakes so I wouldn’t say the Reds will be up there in 2 years. Their best play would be to turn 1 good piece into 2
    They’ve drafted well and even though they only have 3 in the top 100 that will change when the drafted guys the past 2 years start turning some heads

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    They’ve drafted well and even though they only have 3 in the top 100 that will change when the drafted guys the past 2 years start turning some heads
    All I can add is that the Reds' Double-A club is in the middle of an 11-game losing streak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,703 Posts
    Giants win again. Officially the hottest team in baseball having won 6 straight and 9 of 10. I dont see any reason they shouldn't keep Bumgarner/Smith and take the draft picks
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    All I can add is that the Reds' Double-A club is in the middle of an 11-game losing streak.
    Which mean actual jack crap when it comes to minor league baseball and prospects but thanks rico

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Which mean actual jack crap when it comes to minor league baseball and prospects but thanks rico
    yeah the Braves have a had a strong farm for years and most of their minor league teams have struggled thru those years.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    No, they're that bad. One true prospect, Trammell, who at this stage is a butcher in the outfield. Best pitching prospect is 2-6 and has gone on the IL. Nifty Cuban shortstop has no pop and best outfielder, Siri, is on 40-man but not enough mustard in Chattanooga to cover him. Almost a Pache-level hotdog.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    Reds had the 6th best farm system coming into the season and have only graduated Senzel. They have Suarez, Senzel, Gennett, Winker, Castillo,and Gray as a pretty good under 30 core. They are way closer to competing than you think.

And again, you fail to realize that their GM likely won't be there in 4 years if they continue to lose. There really is not much motivation to move Castillo at this point, unless they are getting back a huge overpay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,965 Posts
    No, they're that bad. One true prospect, Trammell, who at this stage is a butcher in the outfield. Best pitching prospect is 2-6 and has gone on the IL. Nifty Cuban shortstop has no pop and best outfielder, Siri, is on 40-man but not enough mustard in Chattanooga to cover him. Almost a Pache-level hotdog.
    Sorry Rico... I appreciate what you do on this board but your talent evaluations aren’t exactly stellar

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    For those pining for Boyd:

1:00
    Benji: How far off was Matt Boyd for an honorable mention? By your metrics, would his value match up with Kyle Tucker?

1:02
    Kiley McDaniel: Tucker is a little steep. Not that the surplus values don’t line up but I don’t think Boyd is the level of guy that gets one of those elite prospects. I would shoot for more back end of a top 100 type and a couple more 45s/high 40s as a reasonable return.

That's something like Wilson plus 40/45 filler. I could definitely get on board with that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-19-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,703 Posts
    If that's what it would take I would think a deal would be done already. I dont think some people understand that GMs arent looking for a fair deal. There is no doubt in my mind the Tigers will want one of our big 3 prospects. AA cant just point to fangraphs to make other GMs act rationally.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Sorry Rico... I appreciate what you do on this board but your talent evaluations aren’t exactly stellar
    Darn it, I know. Those 30 years covering baseball just didn't quite take hold, I guess. I'm crap at fantasy baseball, too.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (07-19-2019), Jaw (07-19-2019), jpx7 (07-19-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    If that's what it would take I would think a deal would be done already. I dont think some people understand that GMs arent looking for a fair deal. There is no doubt in my mind the Tigers will want one of our big 3 prospects. AA cant just point to fangraphs to make other GMs act rationally.
    Then a deal won't get done if AA is smart, which I think by this point he has proven he is.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-19-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,965 Posts
    Darn it, I know. Those 30 years covering baseball just didn't quite take hold, I guess. I'm crap at fantasy baseball, too.
    Chip Caray has also covered baseball for probably 20-30 years... that don’t impress-a me-a much

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I know one guy I personally and maybe biased a little that I wish we could get is Will Smith from the Dodgers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UofL_Braves View Post
    I know one guy I personally and maybe biased a little that I wish we could get is Will Smith from the Dodgers.
    A fresh arm for the bullpen.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Espn has a article up on which players each team should either be going after or selling and I thought they picked a good one for us to try to get in Smith but they had to throw shade at our ownership group for the 5th or 6th time this season in the process.

Atlanta Braves
    Acquire Will Smith
    “Smith is the best reliever available (unless the Padres decide to offer up Kirby Yates), a lefty who gets righties out and is in the midst of a second straight dominant season. Every contending team will be in on him, as every contending team could use bullpen help. The Braves, however, have the deepest farm system of the contenders and should take advantage to add a key piece for their playoff run. The idea of acquiring both Smith and Bumgarner has been tossed out there and it's an intriguing consideration, but that would take a buy-in from Braves ownership and signing Dallas Keuchel might already fit the "one big move" you're going to get from penny-pinching Liberty Media.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    No the young rookie catcher for the Dodgers not the RP from the Giants.