Results 981 to 1,000 of 2691

Thread: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread:

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Pretty sure we can’t trade Langeliers or Shewmake yet. I think there needs to be a certain amount of time that has passed since the draft before they can be traded.
    Think that rule was changed. But even if the Dbags kick 30 million of the roughly 80 million left, I still don’t think he has a ton of value left. That is ~50 for 2.5 years.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    No Greinke is one of the few older pitchers that I'd be fine with getting from a talent perspective. The contract makes me hesitant, even at 22 million per year instead of 32.
    Same here. He's a decent pitcher and has a good chance to keep it going, but he's not an ace anymore. If they toss in an extra $10 million per, sign me up. But we don't need to be tying 22 million a year up in Grienke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I like Greinke and have wanted the Braves to pick him up for a long time. But putting yourself on the hook for $50-$80 million for a pitchers age 35-38 seasons is exactly how you imperil the excellent financial flexibility the Braves have been so fortunate to achieve.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (07-22-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Pretty sure we can’t trade Langeliers or Shewmake yet. I think there needs to be a certain amount of time that has passed since the draft before they can be traded.
    It used to be a year from the draft (so June 2020), but I believe that rule changed so a first-year player can be traded at the end of their first season, but not during their first season. I could be wrong, but we did acquire Swanson from the Diamondbacks after his first season in the year he was drafted (drafted in June 2015, traded to us in December 2015).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It used to be a year from the draft (so June 2020), but I believe that rule changed so a first-year player can be traded at the end of their first season, but not during their first season. I could be wrong, but we did acquire Swanson from the Diamondbacks after his first season in the year he was drafted (drafted in June 2015, traded to us in December 2015).
    PTBNL to get around it?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    PTBNL to get around it?
    They changed the rule after the Trea Turner debacle, you can now trade draftees after the WS rather than waiting a year, but you cannot designate anyone as a PTBNL unless they are eligible to be traded. So short answer, no, can't do it until after the season.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mlbpa-a...ge/c-121720476

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devilsbballfan For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-22-2019), Jaw (07-22-2019), Super (07-22-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    If Gausman looks right in his next start I don't think the Braves will add a starting pitcher. The desire to keep as much of the farm intact as possible seems strong, and I like that. Soroka, Keuchel, Gausman, Fried works for me. I would be happy with one good bullpen arm.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    If Gausman looks right in his next start I don't think the Braves will add a starting pitcher. The desire to keep as much of the farm intact as possible seems strong, and I like that. Soroka, Keuchel, Gausman, Fried works for me. I would be happy with one good bullpen arm.
    AT LEAST one good pen arm, but that's the reason I wouldn't be so hot on Stroman's tail personally. Folty and Gausman are certainly capable of giving you what you'll get from Stroman - the $64,000 question is "will they"?

Add Giles and add another pen arm based on value, and hold onto most everyone. If you're not adding someone you feel like is a significant step above what you realistically expect to get from Folty or Gausman if they're "right" (I'd be OK with Greinke or Bumgarner ONLY because you feel like you could use them in a Game 1), load up the pen and see what happens. No matter what AA does elsewhere, he HAS to upgrade the pen.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    I'm not a fan of the idea of overpaying for a modest upgrade like Stroman. I either want to get a full fledged ace (difficult to do) or make a more reasonably priced move like Minor that would give us some depth to the rotation for the stretch run.

However, I want more than just one pen arm. I want a closer and probably one to two other relievers. At the very least a closer and a decent lefty.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-22-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    AT LEAST one good pen arm, but that's the reason I wouldn't be so hot on Stroman's tail personally. Folty and Gausman are certainly capable of giving you what you'll get from Stroman - the $64,000 question is "will they"?

Add Giles and add another pen arm based on value, and hold onto most everyone. If you're not adding someone you feel like is a significant step above what you realistically expect to get from Folty or Gausman if they're "right" (I'd be OK with Greinke or Bumgarner ONLY because you feel like you could use them in a Game 1), load up the pen and see what happens. No matter what AA does elsewhere, he HAS to upgrade the pen.
    Unless Minter gets squared away, I think we need two arms in the bullpen. Agree on the rotation issue although I'm not that hot on either Bumgarner or Greinke. If Foltynewicz or Gausman step up, the realistic trade options don't appear to be much of an upgrade over those two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Unless Minter gets squared away, I think we need two arms in the bullpen. Agree on the rotation issue although I'm not that hot on either Bumgarner or Greinke. If Foltynewicz or Gausman step up, the realistic trade options don't appear to be much of an upgrade over those two.
    I think with the injury to Dayton and Minter struggling, we have a pretty clear need for a lefty reliever.

There aren't that many on the market. We've discussed Will Smith extensively. There is a good chance the Giants will hold on to him now. They may be more willing to trade Tony Watson for someone who can help them this year. Watson for Duvall makes a certain amount of sense for both teams.

I think Felipe Vazquez is someone we should look into. He is an elite reliever and has been for several years. He has a long-term deal. But the price is attractive. Salaries of 5.25M in 2020 and 7.25M in 2021, plus options for two more years. I like options. They help a team control risk. Given how attractive the contract is, Vazquez would carry a high price in terms of prospects. We are probably looking at one of Wright, Wilson or Muller, plus another prospect just outside the Top 100. I think we should at least make an offer if the Pirates are open to trading him.

Then there are the flotsam and jetsam such as Diekman. At the end of the day we may have to settle for someone like that. I'm only interested in acquiring someone like Vazquez at a fair price and that may not be possible.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    there's just no way Minter can be trusted for this season. he's been absolutely terrible. LH RP is a huge need.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    there's just no way Minter can be trusted for this season. he's been absolutely terrible. LH RP is a huge need.
    considering possible playoff matchups (Dodgers and Cubs) accentuates that need

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'm not a fan of the idea of overpaying for a modest upgrade like Stroman. I either want to get a full fledged ace (difficult to do) or make a more reasonably priced move like Minor that would give us some depth to the rotation for the stretch run.

However, I want more than just one pen arm. I want a closer and probably one to two other relievers. At the very least a closer and a decent lefty.
    Completely agree. Full fledged TOR guy with control, or the best rental available. The only TOR guy potentially available is Thor, and that's unlikely. Folks will argue Geinke is a TOR, but the age and contract are obviously problematic.

The best rentals are Wheeler if healthy, and Minor. Bumgarner is acceptable if priced like the #3/4 he is.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (07-22-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

Minor would probably cost more than Stroman imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Don't think so. Minor is not that good. Don't let the shiny ERA fool you.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Extremely unlikely. No one is fooled by Minor's performance thus far. He'll likely cost less than what we sent Baltimore for Gausman.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Completely agree. Full fledged TOR guy with control, or the best rental available. The only TOR guy potentially available is Thor, and that's unlikely. Folks will argue Geinke is a TOR, but the age and contract are obviously problematic.

The best rentals are Wheeler if healthy, and Minor. Bumgarner is acceptable if priced like the #3/4 he is.
    Wheeler is my preference. And Minor isn't a rental since he has another year guaranteed.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Interesting nugget here:

We decided to get in on the fun, too. Below you'll find our list of 10 prospects to keep in mind heading into the trade deadline. We're not saying each (or, necessarily, any) of these players will be on the move. But we've included them either because we suspect it's possible, or we've heard that they've surfaced in negotiations. The prospects are presented in alphabetical order.

1. Ian Anderson, SP, Braves
    Originally the No. 3 pick in the 2016 draft, Ian Anderson has a starter's frame and the chance for three above-average offerings once he reaches full maturation, including a swing-and-miss curveball. The downside with Anderson is he continues to walk about four batters per nine innings in Double-A, which could postpone his big-league debut as he attempts to further refine his command. League sources have informed CBS Sports that the Braves are at least willing to discuss Anderson in negotiations, as Atlanta is loaded with young arms and continues its pursuit of a veteran frontline starter. Be it through trade or development, Anderson could prove to be the key in the Braves further upgrading their rotation over the coming months.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...os-and-braves/

24. The Following User Says Thank You to devilsbballfan For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-22-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Don't think so. Minor is not that good. Don't let the shiny ERA fool you.
    I'm not but the Rangers are and they've placed a high value on him.